Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Visiting Hergest Ridge, Any pointers for a good pilgrimage?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 20 2010, 22:18

Quote (Cooper Roy @ Sep. 21 2010, 06:18)
Sorry.I was just trying to engage Tublarian of the Year in light-hearted banter.For the umpteenth time...
Message received and understood.  :/

Just joking CR
I think we are both on the same mission anyways
Come on Tati we promise to play nice :)
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 21 2010, 17:53

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 20 2010, 22:18)
I think we are both on the same mission anyways
Come on Tati we promise to play nice :)

You know,Tati. Having recently been in the land of a thousand welcomes, I'm certain your hosts would not mind you employing one here on Tubular.net...

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2010, 05:57

Quote (Cooper Roy @ Sep. 20 2010, 00:07)
...and been on the Guinness in mid-September,Tati.
Milking it a bit,aren't we?   ;)

CR

Don't forget Reading and Harold Wood(this one it's hard to get rid of - every time I took the train from Colchester to London I saw that station on my way).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
APJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2010, 19:19

Thin Man - excellent set of pictures, thank you. I was hoping to make the trip this summer but just couldn't whip up any enthusiasm from the family to spend the day on the Ridge. Looks like I may have to take a day off work and just go myself!

Liked he pics of the Beacon. I had managed to track it down on google street view, but good to see it full view.
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 12:48

Fancy a stroll, amongst the sheep? an arm chair walk abouts ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....#at=168

ENYOY YOURSELVES!!

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2011, 19:13

Lovely Pics Thin man.....I went to Hergest Ridge in 1980, Slightly different back then....you could drive through the fields to a paddock quite near the top. One place Id like to revisit now that I live on the other side of the world.....before they box me up :-)
Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2011, 05:12

Beautiful photographs from "Thin Man". I will never forget my first visit to The Beacon and Hergest Ridge courtesy of The Mike Oldfield Convention held in September 1991. Thanks to Dave Porter (Airborne) for including Penrhos Court over the weekend.

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2011, 06:34

These are the "young hooligans" in the lounge at The Beacon from September '91. Chris, I have more if you have lost yours.

Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2011, 11:43

Thanks Airborne for sharing this with the punters. I'm relieved that you didn't choose the "hooligans" impersonation of a Tubular Bell! Thanks also for the information relating to Spell For Creation/K Raine in the FAQs.

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 07:57

I went up there yesterday - very hot in this July weather we seem to be having on the last day of September.  I wanted to go up there when I got the record when I was fifteen, when it first came out.  I did make a trip around Lower Hergest one time, but obviously I was in the wrong area then.  It's been a long time, somehow, but I'm glad I've made it.

The booklet with the Delux edition helped, and so did a friend who considered buying The Beacon a few years ago (it was too small and too far out, and he bought a larger property in a village a few miles away instead).

Thin Man, many thanks for the photos.  I haven't got a camera, but I wished I'd had one today.  Your photos are excellent and a welcome reminder of a great day.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 17:05

WELCOME TO THE FORUM SWEEP
It must of been a lovely view on a clear day, I think if I was the local sheep farmer I would use a TB shape 4 marking my sheep :D

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 17:27

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, it was a beautiful view from there, especially over to the Welsh side. When I left Kington I drove out that way, into Wales, and across country exploring some areas I haven't visited before (I know other parts of Wales quite well).

The Tubular sheep brand is a good idea. I'm not sure how popular (or otherwise) Mike is round there though?  I'd expect by now they've forgotten Pierre Moerlin annoying everyone by playing drums with great gusto on Bradnor Hill, but maybe not.  :D   There were plenty of sheep on the ridge, but I didn't notice any branding - though I wasn't looking that closely.

--------------

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2011, 16:21

Does anyone know if David Bedford ever visited The Beacon? (There's no mention of him doing so in Changeling.)

I'm asking because I've been working on an arrangement of the opening section of Hergest Ridge since visiting there, and an original piece called Bradnor Hill has developed out of that.

So far Bradnor Hill is basically written, but not yet recorded. As I was working on it at the time David Bedford died I felt it might be nice to add `In memory of David Bedford' when I put the piece on my website. If he actually visited The Beacon that would be appropriate.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2011, 22:20

Well, for what it may be worth, I've now recorded Bradnor Hill and put it on my website with a dedication to the memory of David Bedford.

Regardless of whether he ever visited Mike there, the occasion for writing this piece and the actual writing and recording have intertwined with David Bedford's last days and the news of his death, and the situation has profoundly affected how I played the piece when I recorded it tonight.

It's number 48 in the music player on my website.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2011, 10:12

Quote (Sweep @ Oct. 04 2011, 21:21)
Does anyone know if David Bedford ever visited The Beacon?

Yes, David was present when Mike overdubbed his contribution to "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" at The Beacon in July 1975. He also told me that he heard Ommadawn in its "early stages" which would have been around then.
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2011, 10:26

That's brilliant. Thanks very much for that.

Although writing Bradnor Hill has been very much entwined with David Bedford's last days and hearing the news about his death, the fact that he did visit The Beacon makes it more definite somehow. I had yesterday's sad news very much in mind as I recorded the piece, mixed with images of the location.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2012, 03:14

Some lovely pictures there, thank you to whoever posted them, if you are still around the forum.

The landscape is very familiar as I was born and grew up in Hereforshire (only about 30 miles from Kington),  although a little too late to realise that Sir Mike was living and making music there. Still have family so will make a point of going there during next visit.

"..so if you feel a little glum..."

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
iPlatinumBells427 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 08 2015, 02:49

I live in the U.S, wish I could go there so bad, it's on my bucket list to listen to Hergest Ridge at Hergest Ridge :)
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: July 20 2015, 03:16

Quote (APJ @ June 10 2010, 19:35)
Seeing as I'm less then an hour away from HR and it's always been my favourite album, I thought I should pay a visit one weekend.

Any pointers from anyone who's been? Best place to park, what route to walk? What to look out for etc?

Listening to this album for the first time recently, it made me want to visit too. I haven't heard all of Mike's work yet, but currently Hergest Ridge is my favourite. It has a magical quality to me, like I am flying through the heavens.

Do you know if the main instrument on part one is the recorder? If so I have never heard the recorder sound so amazing!

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2017, 07:01

I am looking to go in May. I won't have a car, so am wondering the best way to get there. from the direction of Cardiff probably?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 10 2010, 19:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net