Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Videos on the new DVD, Which is the best and worst?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 07 2004, 04:01

Since the Elements DVD has come out, I was wondering what people think of the music videos that are on there.

My favourite has to be In Dulci Jublio. This may changes as I haven't watched The Wind Chimes videos yet, but this one is so simple yet interesting, and very well done. I suppose this was reletively advanced effects for the seventies, but it doesn't look dated at all.

My least favourite video, Five Miles Out, does look dated. Very dated. I don't think I can name one element about this video that wouldn't embarass me if I showed it to a friend: that silly eye in the silhouette at the beginning, the fake plane with propellors that move at about one ten of correct speed, Mike's over-acting during his vocal scenes, and the whole atmosphere is so amaterish. I know the eighties didn't have the special effect technology that we do, but I've seen Dr. Who episodes that are more realistic than this.  It's so bad to me that it's almost funny.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 08 2004, 10:06

the best video must be crime of passion (i think)
Its funny and i loved the scenes when mike is playing his solo.
And i was very suprised over Magic Tough. Its good!
Before.. i didnt like the song so much, but now i like it more  :D
Other good videos must be Shine. Its so happy and sunny.
tricks of the light i love too. You know the girl that look at mike.. Shes so pretty  :p
And moonlight shadow is good too..

About the bad videos....... :/
Pictures in the dark is so  :(
The quality and the computer thing is not goood. The way he made it i dont like.
The color is so ugly and the doors and windows is not good..
Sorry...
And the same way as you, five miles out is a little bad. If he would take away the big eyes and the lady that sings. (As i know its maggie that really sing it) So why this model?
Im getting confused that its not maggie.... argh
heavens open its not good either. The way mike sings make me feel that (please dont do that) ....

:cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2004, 10:40

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 07 2004, 10:01)
My least favourite video, Five Miles Out, does look dated. Very dated. I don't think I can name one element about this video that wouldn't embarass me if I showed it to a friend: that silly eye in the silhouette at the beginning, the fake plane with propellors that move at about one ten of correct speed, Mike's over-acting during his vocal scenes, and the whole atmosphere is so amaterish.

You named the exact reasons I like this video. Except that I don't agree it looks amateurish. We're talking about '82 here! Compare it to other music videos of the time, I don't think you will find many that are better. Of course it's not perfect, but I like the images and I think for once they fit in with the music.

As for worst ones, well, to be honest, many of them are really bad, but I'm particularly very disappointed with The Wind Chimes. Now that does look amateurish: done by an amateur who happened to be rich enough to afford professional equipment. I don't think it adds anything to the music at all, it looks like they just crammed everything they had in there in order to fill up the 22 mins. I think it's really, really bad and artistically worthless.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2004, 20:43

Quote (Holger @ Dec. 08 2004, 16:40)
As for worst ones, well, to be honest, many of them are really bad, but I'm particularly very disappointed with The Wind Chimes. Now that does look amateurish: done by an amateur who happened to be rich enough to afford professional equipment.

So... Mike should have never bought that Mirage and Grass Valley video mixing desk....?  :D

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Elf
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 05:01

Has anyone here ever seen the fantastic music video spoof called "Nice video, shame about the song" performed by the ensemble of "Not the Nine O'Clock News?"

The video was made in the early 80s, and includes all the elements you would expect to find in a music video from that era. These would include smoke (lotsa smoke), flames, people running around in the dark for no apparaent rhyme or reason, bad computer effects on the images, incomprehensable plots and the artists themselves singing the songs with a passion that made it look like someone had shoved a brim stone up their asses. Oh, if you could throw in a castle or something similar, it was considered a very good video.

That's what I'm thinking of when I see these videos. Let's face it, MO's music videos suck, but so does most of the music videos of that era.

I watched this dvd with a friend of mine, and she laughed out loud several times and said she felt embarrased just by watching them. And I have to agree with her.

With that said, I love the dvd. As a collector it's great to have it and the TB1 performance is alone worth it's purchase. Big thanks to Virgin for a job well done.

-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 05:20

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 15 2004, 10:01)
With that said, I love the dvd. As a collector it's great to have it and the TB1 performance is alone worth it's purchase.

That's pretty well how I see it too. Most of it I wouldn't attempt to defend on artistic grounds (though I think Wind Chimes is trying to be something that only really came good with MVR). But it's a very generous collection of chunks of Mike Oldfield visual history, and I'm really pleased to have it.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 06:04

Wasn't there an Elements dvd released years ago, is this one any different and if I order it how do I know if Im getting the old version or the new one.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 06:11

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 15 2004, 06:04)
Wasn't there an Elements dvd released years ago, is this one any different and if I order it how do I know if Im getting the old version or the new one.

There was an Elements CD boxed set, but this is the first Elements DVD.

At least I think this is the case.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 11:37

I don't get you people... first they are all whining about how much they would like to see Mike Oldfield video clips... especially because "The Wind Chimes" and other VHS tapes are out of print... now Virgin finally released them on DVD and now everyone is whining about how much the videos of Oldfield suck. :/

Is everyone spoiled nowadays?

I can remember clearly that when I got the Wind Chimes VHS (flown from the UK) I was happy as a child to see those videos. Flying Start is one of my favourites.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 12:57

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 15 2004, 06:04)

There was a VHS video release called "Elements" that came out in association with the CD boxed set of the same name. It had the same cover art. I think this might be what you are thinking of. I'm entirely certain that this was never released on DVD.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 14:49

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Dec. 15 2004, 17:37)
I don't get you people... first they are all whining about how much they would like to see Mike Oldfield video clips... especially because "The Wind Chimes" and other VHS tapes are out of print... now Virgin finally released them on DVD and now everyone is whining about how much the videos of Oldfield suck. :/

It's quite simple actually. While I can't remember myself whining (or indeed saying anything at all about video clips being released, but I might remember wrongly), I certainly would have liked to see the famed "video album"; now that I've got it, I'm quite disappointed with its content. I don't see how the fact of a piece of art being rare would affect its quality, positively or negatively.
That said, I think the DVD as such is priceless simply as a document of Mike's career, and some of the clips are actually very good. I'm certainly very grateful towards Virgin for having released this, and am hoping for similar releases to follow in the future.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2004, 17:56

shadow on the wall, ugly man, ugly voice, ugly video.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 01:34

Yeh I meant to say a video called Elements was released years ago, sorry. I don't have a copy of it so it doesn't really matter if it is the same content, but I am curious, is it the same, or does this new one have extra clips, or is it completely different? I have TB on video only 30 minutes long and some bootlegs, TBII and TBIII on dvd, and the Millenium Bell on dvd.
Is the original TB available on dvd, or is there anything else on dvd that I am not aware of. Is the Elements dvd released by Warner or Virgin or someone else?
Thanks
Tracy

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 10:28

Quote (Holger @ Dec. 15 2004, 19:49)
... now that I've got it, I'm quite disappointed with its content. I don't see how the fact of a piece of art being rare would affect its quality, positively or negatively.
That said, I think the DVD as such is priceless simply as a document of Mike's career, and some of the clips are actually very good. I'm certainly very grateful towards Virgin for having released this, and am hoping for similar releases to follow in the future.

Yes, exactly so. One can still be grateful for the release of this stuff, and be glad to own it and watch it, while yet being aware of its limitations.
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 13:43

I wasn't initially sure if I liked the version of "Innocent" featured on the DVD.  I once thought the original version was better and featured more of Anita Hegerland.  After watching the old version, I've noticed that there is better close-ups of her singing in the DVD version but more shots of her dancing in the cartoon-like older version.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2004, 10:40

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 16 2004, 07:34)
Yeh I meant to say a video called Elements was released years ago, sorry. I don't have a copy of it so it doesn't really matter if it is the same content, but I am curious, is it the same, or does this new one have extra clips, or is it completely different? I have TB on video only 30 minutes long and some bootlegs, TBII and TBIII on dvd, and the Millenium Bell on dvd.
Is the original TB available on dvd, or is there anything else on dvd that I am not aware of. Is the Elements dvd released by Warner or Virgin or someone else?
Thanks
Tracy

The DVD contains many clips that aren't on the VHS: the full TV performance of Tubular Bells part one is included, as well as the complete "The Wind Chimes" video album (all of Islands, not just the title song!), an edit of the Space Movie - all in all, 21 clips that aren't on the VHS! It also has the interview from the VHS (though someone said it's edited slightly differently - I haven't checked that). What it does not have is the TBII clips - Sentinel and what was that live clip, Tattoo?

The DVD is released by Virgin.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2004, 13:25

I just got mine today. I really have to wait until Christmas until opening it!

I did notice the image of Mike on the back. It made me wonder if the DVD was an illicit copy: the image has a murky blue look just like bad inkjet printout!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2004, 16:44

Don't wait til crimbo, get it played.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
grundie Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2005, 07:46

My first post after lurking for quite some time...

My favourite videos on the DVD would have to be Portsmouth and Midnight Shadow. They are simple and unpretentious, unlike some of the videos I'm not to keen on, those being the ones with the dodgy computer graphics. I can't help but think that for much of the 80's, music video directors though to themselves "I've got a computer and I'm not afraid to use it". Theres one or two videos that look like they have been set up just to use a particular effect, rather than to add to the value of the music. This ain't a MO thing, lots of videos were like that in the 80's, I just don't like watching these sorts of videos as it takes away my enjoyment of the music.  That said, the DVD is excellent and I would say if you don't have, then get it now!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 05:49

Well I got my dvd yesterday, and was disappointed in that there was not a single thing on there I do not already have on video. I wouldn't even call it dvd quality, as they are all obviously taken from video, but as most of my videos are bootlegs the quality is still superior. I watched it with my partner last night and he laughed out loud and I was embarrassed, esp as everything on there, besides TBI, the Wind Chimes and Incantations, is not his best work. Still, it is great to see how Mike has evolved, I feel he went from cool to nerdy and back again, and his music suffered through his time at Virgin. I was most disappointed they didn't update the Space Movie footage into something more suitable to the music that doesn't put you to sleep, but I am assuming that this dvd was released by Virgin and Mike had little or no input into it. And the original video footage of the interview is much longer than shown here and why edit it with clips already shown.
Of course nothing would have stopped me from buying it, even tho it cost me over $50 (from the UK thru Amazon) and it has pride of place in my collection, but in future I'll only watch it when I am home alone.
Tracy.

--------------
Profile PM 
37 replies since Dec. 07 2004, 04:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net