Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Videos on the new DVD, Which is the best and worst?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 08:05

Quote (TubularBelle @ Jan. 21 2005, 11:49)
I watched it with my partner last night and he laughed out loud and I was embarrassed, esp as everything on there, besides TBI, the Wind Chimes and Incantations, is not his best work.

Hmm... I think at least Guilty, Wonderful Land, Five Miles Out, Etude and Pictures In The Dark are among his most intriguing things, and quite a few of the others are top quality stuff, though admittedly there are a few embarassing moments!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 19:42

I don't have the DVD yet, but from what I already know of Mike's videos, I think that the best is PITD, and the worst is Northpoint. Great song, but extremely cheesy video. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2005, 19:54

I watched the DVD a couple of times since I bought it a few days ago.

It's certainly interesting, as I've never seen a MO video before now.

Right now, I can't say that I like any of the videos, but by the same token, I dont really dislike any of them either (although I would like to know who the lass in the 'Innocent' video is! :))
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: April 26 2005, 17:45

Um, I suppose you mean Anita Hegerland?

Worst: To France. Maggie et al. look as if they were suffering from lupus or something similar; the rule is: YOU DON'T USE GREEN LIGHT. Also, her hair was ironed flat, apparently. The animations in Pictures in the dark, Shine, Innocent, etc. are quite, eh, miserable, really, but they capture the era and they used to be cutting-edge once; one day we will look at "Shrek" and say "wow, look at this crap, cheesy, cheap animation here, it really sucks, it's not even holovision!". So I don't mind these.

Best: Etude, I think. I haven't seen this before and it's actually rather fantastic, also it doesn't seem to have any horrible animation, bad haircuts or "funny movements" that could have aged badly.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 26 2005, 17:59

I love etude I think it's the best thing on the dvd.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 26 2005, 18:28

"Etude" is one of the few I had seen before: it got some play on MTV when the movie came out.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 26 2005, 19:53

Best video?
Humm,I'd say that Blue Peter,Crime of Passion.

Worst?
Easily.My vote goes to To France.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 26 2005, 20:43

The first thing that came to mind for "worst" was those tumbling digital wine bottles in "Flying Start".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: April 27 2005, 05:53

In my opinion, the worst video on Elements DVD is "To France" because, precisely, this is not THE video, but a poor extract of a TV show, even if Phil Spalding makes me crying at laugh  :D  I always look at him when I'm watching this video, and I always spend a good time !

The best video could be "Magic Touch" by Alex Proyas. Class but simple.

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 28 2005, 11:31

Quote (TUBULARMAN @ Dec. 08 2004, 10:06)
About the bad videos....... :/
Pictures in the dark is so  :(
The quality and the computer thing is not goood. The way he made it i dont like.
The color is so ugly and the doors and windows is not good..

Just a little known fact about the 'Pictures in the Dark' video - at the time, it was the most expensive video to make of any pop single, ever. What a waste of money. Apart from a svelte Anita in tight jodphur style thingies. ;) That was manna from heaven for a spotty teenager. A shame then that Aled's ugly mug had to spoil the fun. :(

shadow on the wall, ugly man, ugly voice, ugly video.

Nah! Ugly man. Ugly video. Great voice!! Roger Chapman was a true 'Family' man.  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: April 29 2005, 09:09

I always hated "Shadow on the Wall" because of Chapman's voice and so I still haven't seen the video -- I skip it. I wish Barry Palmer sung the song. Or Kylie Minogue. Or Children's Choir Of Los Angeles. Anyone else, really :P

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2006, 16:13

I'd have to agree with those last comments regarding "Shadow on the Wall."  I wish that track would have been dropped and replaced with Seninel or something that sounds nice.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 27 2006, 16:38

Quote (Navaira @ April 29 2005, 15:09)
I always hated "Shadow on the Wall" because of Chapman's voice and so I still haven't seen the video -- I skip it. I wish Barry Palmer sung the song. Or Kylie Minogue. Or Children's Choir Of Los Angeles. Anyone else, really :P

hehe funny..
well the video is horrible but i think roger's voice is really cool..
But there is another video of shadow on the wall. I just dont remember the details about it... I think that one is much more better. The same about to france. Where there is fire around mike and maggie is a good video i think  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2006, 05:20

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 27 2006, 22:38)
But there is another video of shadow on the wall. I just dont remember the details about it... I think that one is much more better.

You can watch that alternate Shadow on the Wall video clip at Youtube. I also like it more than the official one, it's funnier. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2006, 08:18

Yes, shame they didn't use the other video for To France... Furthermore I love it to bits. FMO video is very funny and I love it. I always had a bit trouble with the Pictures in the Dark video, but the song is amazing.
Of the Wind Chimes, Magic Touch is the best video.  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2007, 19:04

I agree about Etude; it's a very simple and moving approach. Aside from that my personal favourites are Moonlight Shadow, Guilty, In Dulci Jubilo and Tricks of the Light. I don't like the videos for Earth Moving, To France and Pictures in the Dark.

The first time I heard Innocent was when I downloaded the video, and I loved it immediately, so I have a soft spot for that.

Conversely, the first time I listened to Islands was when I got the Wind Chimes video, which I thought was awful, and while I do now like the album, I still find the visuals a bit hit and miss.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 15:01

I think Magic Touch is an amazing video and would look good even if it was made today.  I think Mr Oldfield looks like a public school boy though.  My best friend who 'passed over' liked this video too.

I was very struck by the sillouhete of the 'woman in black', as she passes Mike behind a screen in the background.  And another reference to a woman in black near the end of the video, but she's wearing a veil and not facing the camera.  It looks very Scottish Widows.  

However Im guessing the song is about love and relationships etc? But at no point do you get that portrayed in the video.

Also, I like 'Innocent'.  Again about love, family relationships, i'm guessing? But at no point are Mr Oldfield and Miss Hegerland united together.  Their is little communication, and one person is on a screen, and another is infront of a keyboard. But you do get the 'love' under current.

I think the hospital environment is very funny. When I saw it I joked, ' Oh look It was doctors like that who did my Tracheostomy. No wonder they botched me.'

My daughter likes Portsmouth, and dances around with tea towels. When she saw Pictures In The Dark and later Magic Touch she Looked at me really confused then back at the T.V.  And said, 'Look Mummy, It's you it's you!' And the old man at the beggining of Magic Touch, she said, 'Mummy look. It's Uncle Den!'    I laughed so much it hurt!
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2007, 23:06

Favorites:

TB1
In Dulci Jubilo
Portsmouth
Willhelm Tell
Guilty
Crime of passion
Pictures in the dark; what can I say. I laughed out loud several times as I was watching it by myself.
Especially when the boy starts to sing. Very funny.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Dec. 07 2004, 04:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net