Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Video of the Crises/TB 10th Anniversary gig< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
whetstone Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2010, 15:46

I was at the concert in Wembley Arena 1983 that was part of Mike's Crises tour (he didn't play any dates in the UK but I saw him in Germany as part of the Midsummer Night Dream open air festival).  The UK gig was badged as a Tubular Bells 10th Anniversary show and included a few surprises (like Roger Chapman guesting on SotW).  The concert was filmed and was due for video release but I remember reading the project was shelved as Mike thought the quality was too poor.  Does anyone know if these recordings still exist?  Maybe the technology exists to clean these up - would make a great release on DVD with multi camera angles!  We could bombard the rights owner with pleas to publish it.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 15 2010, 02:33

I would like an answer to this as well.
Ugo,HifiGuru,Matt you guys must know surely.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2010, 19:08

I add my name to the interested partys for this one....
I was at the gig and being excited because it was filmed for channel 4 ... then being gutted when they shelved it...
Do we know what company filmed it for channel 4???
It must exist somewhere...I have the audio which is good..but would love to have the video.?????
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2013, 15:34

Any thoughts.....
What we need to know is what production company filmed it.
It must be somewhere.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2013, 03:17

With luck, it's somewhere within that company or Virgin - if the New York live session for Platinum made it, the chance must be there.

With no luck, the company has folded or been absorbed into another several times over.  Now what to do with all that rejected material from 5/15/25 years ago that nobody's ever tried to release...?

I've another of my ever-so-useful, inexact and undated memories to offer.  I once saw something written down concerning the likelihood of further or re-releases in the visual media - mid-nineties, I think, and virtually certain it wasn't an early (for me) internet search in the likes of Everything About... Mike Oldfield or early Tubular Net.  I'm as likely as anyone to talk about filming a concert, so sorry for the semantics as I say that this suggested it was captured on video.  The articles mentioning Wembley 1983 at the Mike Oldfield Information Service separately refer to 'footage' (suggesting but not proving film) and recording (could be both, but more commonly refererring to video).  My mysterious source talked of performances from 2nd House, Wembley Conference Centre, Knebworth and Edinburgh Castle,  and it must have mentioned a few European names I wasn't familiar with at the time.  Although not Montreux, which I had heard of, but not of Mike's concert when the DVD was announced - merci and adieu, Funky Claude. :/  When it came to a 10th Anniversary concert, it indicated that the performance had been taped, but rejected by Mike.

Now perhaps he saw it in its edited form, with the unused material from all camera angles already discarded.  But picture five or six bulky cases of 2-inch videotape (or film cans) with no prospect of release and taking up precious storage space in an archive...  But I'm hoping serendipity is at work and that someone, somwhere is at work on its inclusion on Crises deluxe! :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2013, 05:09

HI
I remember going to the Wembley 10th Anniversary gig.
Around that time there was the Mike Oldfield service,
in that they said that it was going to be filmed by Channel four for broadcast a week later.
I remember seeing it in the listings of the RAdio Times.
Then there was an announcement that there were technical problems with the sound and that it would not be used.??????
So it must be somewhere. I HOPE !!!!
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2013, 12:37

Thanks once more, Bell Boy - hopefully my own hope shone through!   It must have been in TV Times, being a few years before public and commercial channels could list each other's programmes.  There's an on-line archive for that but I'm not qualified to join.  I suppose I'm counting on my story to jog the memories of some of our Dark Star members, in case one of them looks at it and says, "That's the answer I gave to the pop page in Farmers Weekly!" or something like that.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 08 2010, 15:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net