Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Video of In Dulci Jubilo and Portsmouth, Where were they filmed?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 05:12

Hi I'm wondering if anyone could settle a dispute between myself and a friend please.  A friend was convinced the Portsmouth video was filmed at The Beacon, I don't see this is possible, as the interior looks totally different to that of The Beacon :/ , I believe Portsmouth was filmed at Througham.

I'm not so sure about In Dulci Jubilo, watching the Elements DVD at first I thought this was filmed at The Beacon,but am now not so sure.  It would appear about the right time, plus I understand Mike first met Les Penning at the Penrhos Hotel about a mile east of Kington.
 Watching the DVD again I'm not so sure, as the windows have "lead lights" on them, (easy to remove with nail varnish remover apparently.)  but having stayed at The Beacon in July the windows are plain glass, and I'm sureI've seen  photos of Mike at
The Beacon with plain windows.  I can't see much of the scenery outside of the windows/ interior to tell for sure if it's The Beacon.

Many thanks

Moonchildhippy      

:)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
JBG Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 14:58

Both Videos were filmed at Througham in what was the live room of mikes studio, In Dulci Jubilo was originally recorded at the beacon, This version can be heared on the B side of Don Alphonso, this was either re recorded or remixed in the new studio at Througham and was decided to be released as the main A side.

When did you stay at the beacon? Has it reopened as a hotel?

Cheers

JBG

--------------
The mark of a good musician is if you can play one note and mean it ....
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2005, 16:07

Quote (JBG @ Aug. 26 2005, 14:58)
In Dulci Jubilo was originally recorded at the beacon, This version can be heared on the B side of Don Alphonso, this was either re recorded or remixed in the new studio at Througham and was decided to be released as the main A side.

Sounds to me like the same basic recording, but with fresh overdubs and a new mix.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 00:21

Quote (JBG @ Aug. 26 2005, 19:58)
Both Videos were filmed at Througham in what was the live room of mikes studio, In Dulci Jubilo was originally recorded at the beacon, This version can be heared on the B side of Don Alphonso, this was either re recorded or remixed in the new studio at Througham and was decided to be released as the main A side.

When did you stay at the beacon? Has it reopened as a hotel?

Cheers

JBG

Thanks for clarifying the facts for me JBG    :D.  

I stayed at The Beacon in July.  It's now a small B&B,  two rooms.   Fantastic breakfasts though, fresh friut,orange jiuce, cereal, toast. Option of "Full English" with  free range eggs and local free range bacon and sausages , don't think I've had a breakfast as good as those as the Beacon  :).   (Walk up Bradnor Hill or along Hergest Ridge to burn off the calories though:laugh: ).

The rooms are reasonably priced too.  The main trade is from walkers or golfers, Kington Golf Club (incidentally the highest in England is about 100 yards away),  or they'll probably now be many bookings by MO fans too now.

At The Beacon I found myself drawn to the lounge, fantastic open fireplace, ( Great to sit around in winter with a bottle or two of the local cider  :)) , and the balcony.  The Balcony has stunning views over Kington and The Ridge, can see to the Black Mountains to the south on the clear day.
I sat on the balconyfor hours, just watching the moon rise over Kington and Hergest Ridge, I could imagine Mike doing the same during his time at The Beacon  :) , a fantastic sight to behold :) .  Do take a walkfrom Kington up Hergest Ridge,( especially whilst playing Hergest Ridge,   as you walk along), you won't be dissapointed.  

I'd put a link in to The Beacon website, but I'm not sure how to get them to work, but here goes anyway
http//www.thetopbeacon.co.uk

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
3 replies since Aug. 24 2005, 05:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net