Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: V'ger and the carbon units, Voyager story< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 06 2008, 02:45

Interesting story about Voyager. I bought the CD not long after it's release and fell in love with it. Not long after that,  the movie Titanic was
the boxoffice rage. So I worked in the Alzheimer's unit of a nursing home at that time. I used to call 'em nursing homes, but after seeing a certain episode of Star Trek TNG I started calling 'em deathwatch centers. So anyway I made a cassette copy of Voyager and played it in the Alzheimer's unit of the deathwatch center. The residents liked it, but they pretty much liked anything cuz.....well, they had advanced Alzheimer's. But the staff LOVED it, went nuts over it. Probably because they loved the Titanic soundtrack which full of flutes and bagpipes. But this was better than Titanic and had guitars too. More on steroids than Titanic. But it predated that movie so Voyager came first. So the staff would just keep turning that cassette over all day, every day. I was happy, but after a week or 2 I was ready for something different. Then the tape disappeared. I went into this dying old man's room to give him morphine and there was a little stereo on his bedside table. There was the missing Voyager tape, playing away softly by his side.......the tape player had auto-reverse so it just kept going and going....I'm pretty sure the guy died listening to Voyager. I remember he went pretty fast. After that I never saw that tape again, then I brought in some old big band music for the patients. Well, that's my Mike Oldfield moment for today. Tubularly yours,
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 00:51

What a lovely story, Scatterplot. I can attest to Voyager's calming effect, as it wasn't too long ago that it eased the pain and pouting brought on by a domestic accident. My big right toe thanks Mike.

Quote (Scatterplot @ Feb. 06 2008, 02:45)
this was better than Titanic and had guitars too.

IMO, there's nothing that couldn't be improvement with some MO guitarring.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
1 replies since Feb. 06 2008, 02:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net