Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: very clever album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bugular tell Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 20 2003, 15:23

i think that, while this is not the best album mike has done, it is still a very clever idea to use nothing but guitars to create everything you hear and imoh it works very well, i took me a long time to get in to the album, but now i find it very nice, in fact i have to say that summit day and muse are 2 of my favorite tracks, this album works far better with headphones! What are your opinions on this?  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: June 01 2003, 16:39

ok, so it seems i am the only one with an opinion! lol, never mind eh!  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 01 2003, 18:11

Quote (bugular tell @ May 20 2003, 21:23)
i think that, while this is not the best album mike has done, it is still a very clever idea to use nothing but guitars to create everything you hear [...]

There are a few computerized sounds, but, yes, it's very very clever and very very good as an album. ;) My own favs are Summit Day (which btw has been improved a lot by Allan Naeslund's remix) and the magnificent 'ethnic' piece Four Winds.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 05:37

i have many favourites from the album..muse, embers, enigmatism, cochise, four winds and yes it sounds better with headphones :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 19:56

I have come to like this album more and more recently. If it wasn't for the midi drums and the (in places) awful distortion, or if at least it had a different title, then it'd be a really good album, perhaps the best since Amarok.
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 20:54

Quote (Holger @ June 02 2003, 19:56)
If it wasn't for the midi drums and the (in places) awful distortion

Yup, I don't like those either. Especially the drums sound really bad. Great idea for an album, some tracks are nice but it didn't come out as good as it could be imo.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: June 03 2003, 05:57

When i saw mike at wembely arena during the then and now tour he played muse and summit day live, and imho it sounded better due to the fact that he used real drums and not synths, makes me wonder why there has not been a live album released from the tours of a few years ago?

--------------
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: July 30 2003, 07:26

I love this album too, my main favourite being 'Out of mind' for the sheer energy in that track.
Profile PM 
stitchfan Offline

Posted: July 31 2003, 04:29

Guitars is one of my fave albums with MO
Profile PM 
TubularTaurus Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 10:52

I find this album also one of the best albums of MO. Certainly Out of Mind, which is the best track ever. :)
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 14:03

Quote (Ugo @ June 02 2003, 00:11)
Quote (bugular tell @ May 20 2003, 21:23)

There are a few computerized sounds, but, yes, it's very very clever and very very good as an album. ;) My own favs are Summit Day (which btw has been improved a lot by Allan Naeslund's remix) and the magnificent 'ethnic' piece Four Winds.
[...]

The first time I heard Summit Day I got goose bumps all over (or how do you call it in English).

Can someone point me to this version of Allan Naeslunds's remix ? Because I certainly want to hear this improved version !

Thanks

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 14:34

No 'goose bumps' is how we say it to (or at least I do)

Try and get hold of a live version of Summit Day from the 99 tour. Although it didn't have that lovely little 'echoy' guitar bit at the start the full live production of it really made it into much more that it already was and depending on which recording you get some of Mike's improvised solo's were amazing.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 23:36

Hey Toby, have you heard the Vh1 outcut versions? I think it was Embers and Summit day! They are good!! Why dont he play them like this on the album? very strange..............

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 03:14

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 28 2005, 20:34)
Try and get hold of a live version of Summit Day from the 99 tour.

I'm afraid I really don't know how to get hold of those songs. Can someone point me into the wright direction, please.

I never have downloaded music illegally (or software for that matter), nor do I approve of such things. Having said that, I reckon, that if I have bought all official CD's and DVD's of Mike (which I have), I should have the possibility somehow to get hold of all those marvelous pieces of music. :/

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 07:40

Guitars is one of the albums that I have mixed feelings about. Some tracks I love, such as Summit Day, Out of Mind and especially Muse. But the rest really does nothing for me. I can't give it more than a slightly above average mark. I certainly don't regret buying it though, the three tracks above are more than worth it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 13:45

Tubularman - yeah I had VH1 Uncut on video until I accidently taped over it. It was superb, all of it. Its when you hear recordings like that you wish the studio versions were the same. Embers went from being a perfectly pleasant little tune to being so much more complex and powerful, I really changed my opinion of it after hearing it live.  Summit Day was already an outstanding piece (one of the best tracks of the 90's I think) on the album but the live version really took off with that amazing guitar solo at the end.

MikeAholic - if you have quite rightly paid for all Mike's studio albums DVD's etc then I think you can safely allow yourself a little bit of downloading. Especially of a live track that isn't available otherwise. Mike certainally isn't loosing out. Having said that I don't actually know where you'd find it though, perhaps somebody else could help?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 14:05

yes, i love that uncut video. I have it on vhs and taped it from vh1 of course. I remember how good and outstanding he did that songs. The Guitars songs begin to be more stonger and more ambient and full of life. Must say that it suprised me this sort of uncut program. Also "far above.." was very good. The hole thing had a very tbIII atmosphere. Very good..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 14:36

Have you seen Mike on the Jools Holland show from 1998? The live version of FATC was amazing again way better than the album version. Hearing it live similarly changed my perception of it, loads more power. Thats what I miss about Mike's album productions sometimes. He doesn't quite capture the raw power of what is but sometimes doesn't at first appear to be a really powerful tune.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 14:41

yes actually  :)  yesterday in fact. i play that version many times because its so damn good!! The way he play that is amazing! just like the other concert version he plays those song more powerful and wonderful. Just listen to art in heaven! I would pay 126456915491534789125 euro to hear that!! (and that day he had flue????? can be true!!! veryy good

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2007, 16:44

I agree with those who've found Guitars to be a slow-grower. These days I'm loving it, and among all MO's various works, it does seem particularly unique.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
37 replies since May 20 2003, 15:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net