Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Verse Length on middle of Side 3< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 11 2005, 16:16

Another question about the long guitar solo in the middle of Side 3. This is the section called "Alteration" in Amarok Player.

I was listening to it and noticing that it appeared to consist of verses that were 12 measures long (4/4 time). At least it starts out this way. Do my clothears deceive me, or are some of the verses later on in the track of varying length (more than 12 measures or less than 12 measures at times)?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 11 2005, 16:41

Your cloth ears are not deceiving you at all, Hiawatha: some of the later bars are really shorter. IMHO it depends on Mike (or Pierre M.? BTW, may he rest in peace), intentionally deleting one or two half-beats from the bar. The very first time I heard this I thought it was the CD skipping. :) It took me 2-3 repeated listenings to understand that it was done on purpose. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 11 2005, 16:45

I must indeed have cloth-ears. You noticed it in 2-3 listenings. It took me scores (maybe hundreds?) of listenings to find this!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: May 11 2005, 17:51

Some of the bars are even more shorter on the edit of this guitar solo that was used for the "Space Movie Video" on the "Elements DVD".

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2017, 10:13

Ooh how I love to re-open old threads!

As far as this CEN can tell (having mapped the section to a click track) it is solid 4/4 throughout, and pretty constant tempo (between 98 and 101bpm). The marimba pattern and the metal studs of the bodhran carry the beat consistently...but the guitar does occasionally start a phrase a beat or two early, which may be what you are talking about? Maybe if the original posters are still around they can point me at the sections they think are being truncated?

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
4 replies since May 11 2005, 16:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net