Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Val Doonican, 1927-2015< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 15 2015, 14:37

The largely British-based Irish entertainer died on the 1st of July, at the age of 88.  He’s best known for his Saturday evening light entertainment show that ran on the BBC from the sixties to the eighties, and a concurrent career as a singer of the easy-listening variety.  There’s no direct connection to Mike that I know of – Mike would probably have baulked at the idea of being classed as suitable for his show, although the punks would argue otherwise!  He makes an appearance of sorts in The Intro and the Outro - the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band's song that influenced how the Tubular Bells finale turned out (and I think it's Viv Stanshall who does the impression of Val saying, "Hello, there!" within the song).  In searching their names together, this page of famous Amersham people is blurring some geographical boundaries – parts of the area are contiguous but the Chalfonts and Beaconsfield aren’t strictly related to it [It is interesting to see that Noel Gallagher seems to be following Mike around though!]  

I have found a similarity, though, via one of my other loves – Sky.  Since late last year, they’ve had the special edition treatment.  I couldn’t find any of the CD/DVDs in the shops at first and I’ve only just taken possession of the re-release of their eponymous debut album.  The DVD is made up of surviving BBC clips and appearances from the era and (of a few appearances they made on his show) their first performance with Val is included.   I say performance because after the first song Danza, Val joins in as a third guitar on Carrillon.  He’s out of tune at first, but he gets there and would you like to guess which vibrato technique he favours?  It really does sound a lot like Mike!

Up until now, Sky’s fans have not been bad boys and girls and uploaded the clips to YouTube, but I’ll keep an eye out. :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
0 replies since July 15 2015, 14:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net