[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Update on Return to Ommadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 09 2016, 19:36

Mike's update Re: Return to Ommadawn as posted on his Facebook group 9 April:

"Hello Everyone some news : Well today got to the end of Part 2 Return to Ommadawn. Most of Part 2 I am happy with just have to finish up the ending and then polish both Part 1 and 2. So looking to finish everything around my birthday mid May. It has been a wonderful experience and I have loved playing all the acoustic instruments. So just have to complete the final steps. All the very best from Mike"  He subsequently said he expects to release it in mid-August.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 10 2016, 05:26

Great news! I wonder if the title will actually be "Return to Ommadawn" or something else.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 10 2016, 05:40

Fantastic news :) I imagine being Ommadawn related it should get lots of media coverage. And an August release is not far away. If he is saying about part 1 and 2, it should mean a return to a long instrumental :D
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: April 10 2016, 07:27

Quote (Harmono @ April 10 2016, 05:26)
Great news! I wonder if the title will actually be "Return to Ommadawn" or something else.

The same here. I'am very exicted about the news, but i'am also  curious, if this album will be musically simmilar to Ommadawn like TB2  to TB, or more distant like TB3 to TB.
Profile PM 
pipetune Offline

Posted: April 11 2016, 15:17

Mike: Please don't include in "the final steps" Dynamic range compression. Seems to be the in thing now with modern recordings..........
Looking forward to a real M.O album!
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: April 12 2016, 16:19

this seems pretty good, much better than another tb like the pre-one, whatever the idea was. looking very much forward to it
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: April 16 2016, 15:16

What great news... Ommadawn has always been my favourite album. So very much looking forward to this.
Profile PM 
verjan2 Offline

Posted: April 19 2016, 05:17

Hello Mike, keep my fingers crossed with your new project "Return to Ommadawn". Looking forward. Greetings from Czech Republic.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 21 2016, 15:26

Quote (pipetune @ April 11 2016, 20:17)
Mike: Please don't include in "the final steps" Dynamic range compression. Seems to be the in thing now with modern recordings..........

Judging by the quality of the reissues so far, I'd say we don't have too much to worry about, pipetune ...
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: April 24 2016, 07:52

Quote (pipetune @ April 11 2016, 15:17)

I'd like to second the request not to use excessive compression on the album. This absurd fashion kills music by flattening out the dynamics, and often introduces clipping as well.

Personally, I never, ever, use compression on a complete track, and only very rarely on any aspect of the music - and people continually ask me how I make the music so dynamic and alive.

Conversely, I continually hear people being disconcerted that albums they used to like have been re-released sounding dead, harsh, ear-fatiguing etc etc, and it's always down to compression.

A touch of compression here and there might be useful at some stages, but smearing it all over the whole album is madness, and yet it happens frequently. The trouble is, if it's done in the mastering stage then that's after the recording has left the artist's hands, unless they insist on guiding it through the whole process. I'd strongly advise that, and I wish that was done with every album that gets released.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
Yann Offline

Posted: April 27 2016, 06:55

Quote (Sweep @ April 24 2016, 07:52)
I'd like to second the request not to use excessive compression on the album. This absurd fashion kills music by flattening out the dynamics, and often introduces clipping as well.

+1

Too much compression and no play make the tune a dull boy. Far better when instruments have room to play. Though I would say that there's no risk of it: the remastered of the old albums sounds extremely well. As a composer, Oldfield has had a long crisis of creativity. As a sound engineer, he's become nothing but better.
Profile PM 
oldbells Offline

Posted: May 05 2016, 16:03

hey mike
it would be a nice touch to launch Omadawn in Ireland
David OLDBELLS wasser
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 09 2016, 03:42

Posted by Mike yesterday:
FINISHED !!! All polished shiny and new. Very positive reaction from Record Company. I should know the release date tomorrow hopefully : ) Mike

There's also a new public Facebook group (probably relating to promo for the new album – apparently once you have over a certain number of people in a group you can't change it from private to public?)
/https://www.facebook.com/groups/MikeOldfieldPublic

I'd just like to emphasise, we have no reason to suspect that Mike is here reading your replies to these posts from Facebook. He might be, but it's a little unlikely.
Profile PM 
drewdale Offline

Posted: May 13 2016, 15:44

I look forward to this indeed, I do prefer MO to make long (two) track albums.

An (off topic) wish

I would also relish the thought of a re-recorded Hergest Ridge, but perhaps making the running time longer.

Also would like a Taurus II part two
Also would like a Crises (side one) part two

Yes I can dream  :p
Profile PM 
daulfes Offline

Posted: May 27 2016, 04:46

There is no return to ommadawn. I just hope mike doesn't do the same  mistake as with TB. Part 1 of the original Ommadawn is in my humble opinion the best piece of Mike's music. ;)
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 28 2016, 21:43

I hope he doesn't call it Return to Ommadawn.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: May 29 2016, 09:13

Quote (Marky @ May 28 2016, 21:43)
I hope he doesn't call it Return to Ommadawn.

I think it's only a working title, bacuse this name, as the album name, really doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 28 2016, 10:41

I was expecting we would have some more news by now, mid August is not far away!!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 31 2016, 07:14

"Ommagumma"? :/

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 31 2016, 07:16

In which all four members of Mike Oldfield get half a side each to do "whatever the f*ck they like".

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
43 replies since April 09 2016, 19:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net