[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Update from Mike PA< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 08 2012, 15:47

Quote (Matt @ Nov. 08 2012, 15:03)
Quote (Tubularman @ Nov. 08 2012, 13:52)
amazing news!!! but who is this mad cow???

Caroline Monk, was also Mikes PA late 90's early noughties. She's said hi at tubular.net before, see topic from 2006 here.

Great to hear news like this about progress on a new album, and I reckon him having a PA again is a fab idea :)

Edit: Just checked that old topic. Tubularman you must have forgotten because you said hi to her back then in the same topic :D

ahh of course..! had forgot about her!! cool.. :D thanks!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
alejandra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 03:49

-A "rock" album where everything except drums will be overdubbed by one musician...(how rock'n'roll)
  -As someone has mentioned before, this sounds like "Earth Moving II" (hope I'm mistaken)
  -Don't forget "there will be a guitar solo in every track"...translation: minimum amount of risk taken, exposition, bridge (guitar solo) and repetition of chorus until fade out, and this coming from what we consider a creative artist, now seemingly working according to FORMULA.
  -This sounds like an AOR record but time will tell
Profile PM 
Gunz412 Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 04:12

Quote (alejandra @ Nov. 09 2012, 03:49)
-A "rock" album where everything except drums will be overdubbed by one musician...(how rock'n'roll)
  -As someone has mentioned before, this sounds like "Earth Moving II" (hope I'm mistaken)
  -Don't forget "there will be a guitar solo in every track"...translation: minimum amount of risk taken, exposition, bridge (guitar solo) and repetition of chorus until fade out, and this coming from what we consider a creative artist, now seemingly working according to FORMULA.
  -This sounds like an AOR record but time will tell

Such an array of glass half full, half empty comments, but I have to agree with this observation.
For many years now Mike has built us up, only to deliver what amounts to a disappointment (Music of the Spheres being the exception) and it does sound as if he is edging towards another attempt at the commercial market.

Oh well, lets see, as long as he doesn’t make an appearance as an X-Factor judge I will be happy.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 05:17

Why hammond organ? Why?
The concept of the hammond organ as the "genuine" or "rock" organ is just very....nineties! :p

The times they are a-changing....

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Legend Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 05:57

Come on! Happy? Indeed!!!! Great and absolutely wonderful news!
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 06:36

Mike has talked about this album for a while now and he said then that John Robinson had recorded drums via the internet, so seems the backing tracks were ready a couple of years ago .

Hope its not another Heavens Open , which was pretty poor .
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 06:40

I love the way some people slam the album before they've even heard it  :O
Maybe I'm more optimistic as I really liked 'Earth Moving' and 'Heaven's Open'! :p Okay, not everything MO has produced has been absolute genius (perhaps), but 99% of it has been at the very least rather enjoyable.
I guess that's a controversial view though even on this site...?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 06:46

Quote (spark @ Nov. 09 2012, 06:36)
Hope its not another Heavens Open , which was pretty poor .

Last good thing he did if you ask me!  :)

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 08:14

Just got this great idea:
He should have Ian Anderson singing on the album. It just hit me how compatible those two grumpy old men propably are right now. It would propably sound fabulous. If it all turns into dad-rock it's OK with Ian, he can save something like that.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Jools Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 08:23

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 09 2012, 05:17)
Why hammond organ? Why?
The concept of the hammond organ as the "genuine" or "rock" organ is just very....nineties! :p

The times they are a-changing....

And the concept of the Steinway piano and Fender Stratocaster as "genuine articles" is, I suppose, very outdated too!

The sound of the Hammond organ is unique and timeless..that's why...bring it on
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 08:45

I would love him to work with Heri Joensen of Tyr, but I am pretty sure Mike "I don't listen to any music I haven't made myself" Oldfield wouldn't have a clue who that is!

Also, I love Earth Moving. *hides under desk*

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
spark Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 09:44

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Nov. 09 2012, 11:40)
I love the way some people slam the album before they've even heard it  :O
Maybe I'm more optimistic as I really liked 'Earth Moving' and 'Heaven's Open'! :p Okay, not everything MO has produced has been absolute genius (perhaps), but 99% of it has been at the very least rather enjoyable.
I guess that's a controversial view though even on this site...?

Everyone has their own opinion on Mike.
I cant stand Heavens Open but you like it.
Makes the world go round .
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 11:45

Excellent news! This new website of his own looks very interesting, can't wait to browse that.

And this new album, going from classical to rock...I always wished he would do some kind of metal album, so I think this is as far as my dream will be realized...what a great thing!

I always enjoyed everything he did, from Amarok to Earth Moving, so even if this release sounds more commercial, it will just be a return to his commercial side, which we have not seen in a long time; Heaven's Open being the last as I see it.

Seriously, I can't wait to hear that.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 13:01

Quote (Jools @ Nov. 09 2012, 08:23)
[quote=larstangmark,Nov. 09 2012, 05:17]
.. The sound of the Hammond organ is unique and timeless..that's why...bring it on

Oh yes...."timless" rock music. Like the stuff you hear on "classic rock" radio stations. I'm afraid that's what we're going to get, but let's hope not.
I hope no thinking person takes the word "timeless" seriously in this particular context.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 17:44

Mike said that Crises had a Hard Rock influence (Well his version of Hard Rock anyway)...So I doubt his version of a rock album would be anything like "Classic Rock" or Earthmoving for that matter....

Anyway we are all pining for something new..lets hope we can all find something to love on this new album...frankly I cant wait.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2012, 21:53

BRILLIANT NEWS!!!!!!!!! :))  Very excited for the new album!!!!  I really hope he will use Florence Welch, Chris from Coldplay and, the lead singer of Fun.  All good singers!!  

Plus there is also myself ;)  Working on my first album has been fun.  Now I have to hire an orchestra.  This is where it gets expensive, but worth it!!
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2012, 07:35

I seriously don't think Mike is aware of any singers below the age of 50 but perhaps Fanny and Caroline keep him posted on young, fresh 'n new artists (like Coldplay or REM for instance)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2012, 16:47

Hayley Westenra ?

:)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2012, 19:15

If Mike has regained control of www.mikeoldfield.com why is the owner putting it up for sale ?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2012, 19:19

Offers entered here
Profile PM 
81 replies since Nov. 07 2012, 20:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net