Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Update from Mike PA< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Navaira Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2012, 16:25

I love Stephen Lipson, he produced Pet Shop Boys' Actually and Annie Lennox's Diva, two of my absolute favourite albums of all time! This is good news as far as I am concerned.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Gunz412 Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2012, 08:37

[quote=HuanCry,Nov. 10 2012, 16:47]Hayley Westenra ?

Not sure a rock album would work with Hayley's vocals.
And I am not sure what Hayley thinks of Mike.

Her wikipedia page (we can change that!) and official website make no reference to 'On my heart'
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 16 2012, 17:22

Quote (Navaira @ Nov. 15 2012, 13:25)
I love Stephen Lipson, he produced Pet Shop Boys' Actually and Annie Lennox's Diva, two of my absolute favourite albums of all time! This is good news as far as I am concerned.

Interesting, Trevor Horn did TB2, one of my favorite, and Pet Shop Boys too.

I hope by rock he doesn't mean old fashioned "bouncy" rock&roll like The Beatles or Elvis. That would be tough. I think he said he never did it so we can assume it's not FMO-style rock.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 21 2012, 05:56

Quote (Navaira @ Nov. 15 2012, 21:25)

I've been listening to Propagandas "A Secret Wish" again recently (a favourite of mine from many years back), also Steve Lipson produced. Steve to possibly produce a Mike album? Yes please!!!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2012, 16:08

Steve Lipson started out with Trevor Horn as a co-producer and "go-to guy" for the guitar parts. So he can handle an axe.

But, the main lesson he has copied from his Sensei is production - lots and lots of shiny production.

Their recent albumsee review here hasn't set the world alight, nor does it bode too well for Mike.

On the other hand, the albums produced by these guys sell by the truck load. Which will keep Mike in the Bahamas for a few more years. And ANY new music from Mike has to be a good thing!  :D

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
sikejsudjek Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2012, 16:34

Good to hear its a rock album without all the computer crap added.  

The r'n'b/sample loop computer stuff is now sounding so repetitive that rock is due a comeback IMO. (In terms of sales, rock never died. It still outsells r'n'b and rap, but in the popular media its been x factor stuff for the last 10years).

Progressive rock got blasted out by punk, but the present bland corporate chart dross is ripe for a similar blasting, this time by music based around real instruments. It will be interesting to see which genre wins out.

Lets hope Mike can put together a real blast of an album !
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2012, 05:01

Progressive music has reborn from the ashes here in the UK and it's time to Mike shine again!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2012, 07:05

Wind and rain in the UK today - we all need a bit of Mikeshine!!!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2012, 10:02

MikeShine ? ... Somewhat paradoxical for the 'domestic violence' track ! Re. Telegraph interview .  :D
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2012, 04:55

Quote (sikejsudjek @ Nov. 21 2012, 16:34)
The r'n'b/sample loop computer stuff is now sounding so repetitive that rock is due a comeback IMO. (In terms of sales, rock never died. It still outsells r'n'b and rap, but in the popular media its been x factor stuff for the last 10years).

Progressive rock got blasted out by punk, but the present bland corporate chart dross is ripe for a similar blasting, this time by music based around real instruments. It will be interesting to see which genre wins out.

Lets hope Mike can put together a real blast of an album !

The music industry has changed beyond recognition now. We may never see 'scenes' blasting out other scenes as punk did with prog back in the 70's. What seems to happen now is that young fans of music like a range of genres. It used to be that if you liked punk you couldn't like prog. It's almost irrelevant to follow what the various media outlets feed us. What we have at the moment is an incredible range of music happening everywhere and appreciated by all sorts of people. Just dig and you'll find that the music happening at the moment is as as good as it has ever been, float around sites like bandcamp where musicians post self published works and you'll find literally hundreds of thousands of great albums. Don't forget to check your local music too, I'm lucky enough to live in a city with an amazing music scene, many of the greatest bands I've ever heard are acts I've only seen in the flesh out in the fine city of Norwich.

Of course 'the industry' can't get a handle on all of this, the PR just doesn't work so they peddle us what they can; the so called chart dross. This has always existed, even when Mike was a superstar back in the 70's there was a lot of forgetable pop dross, we just remember the good stuff! All we've got to do is ignore it all and let those who actually like it get on with it.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2012, 16:25

Quote (alejandra @ Nov. 09 2012, 03:49)
-A "rock" album where everything except drums will be overdubbed by one musician...(how rock'n'roll)
  -As someone has mentioned before, this sounds like "Earth Moving II" (hope I'm mistaken)
  -Don't forget "there will be a guitar solo in every track"...translation: minimum amount of risk taken, exposition, bridge (guitar solo) and repetition of chorus until fade out, and this coming from what we consider a creative artist, now seemingly working according to FORMULA.
  -This sounds like an AOR record but time will tell

Unfortunately, I agree. This is my interpretation too. I wish he would let the magical MOTS be the final chapter.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2012, 16:32

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Nov. 14 2012, 04:04)
I think the bottom line is, It's Mike Oldfield with a guitar :) anymore needed?

There are light-years between Mike 1982 and 2012.

30 years ago, his playing was a nature force; an 'happening', something unbelievable. Every little sound was just magical, played by a demon.

Today (the new "Islanders", or the Olympic session) is just nothing. Did he practice even once the recent 10 years? It is now sooo boring.

Sorry to be so negative; I hope I am hughly wrong.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2012, 16:57

I think he'll surprise us.

He does this each time.

How could we ever know what he has planned...

Lets be patient and wait. Not good to speculate, we know nothing!

Faith and trust and patience are what is needed... ;)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2012, 22:58

Can't wait - anything new from Mike is always a blast.
Profile PM 
DIMITRA Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 07:31

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mikeoldfieldpersonal/313108868795856/?notif_t=group_activity

NEW MESSAGE FROM MIKE ON FACEBOOK REGARDING HIS NEW ROCK ALBUM
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 08:21

Quote (DIMITRA @ Dec. 07 2012, 11:31)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mikeoldfieldpersonal/313108868795856/?notif_t=group_activity

NEW MESSAGE FROM MIKE ON FACEBOOK REGARDING HIS NEW ROCK ALBUM

The note in full:

"Hi Everyone !
Just finished the last demo for the rock album.
There are 10 songs altogether and I just sent
the last one off to Steve Lipson who is hard at work on a film
project in LA.
These songs are deeply personal and come from real life
experiences past and present.
Music straight from the heart.
There is just some legal stuff to work out with Mercury
and then we can start organizing the live sessions.
There will be 5 tracks recorded by the best live musicians
in LA and the other 5 live in London.
Then Steve and I will work together across the planet to
record the vocals and of course my guitars.
Caroline will be in charge of the live Twitter feeds from
the actual sessions.
All exciting stuff so here's to an amazing 2013.
Lots of good wishes !
Mike"

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 08:27

Soooooo grateful to you Tati for posting this, thank you!! I'm not a Facebooker!

And this album sounds very exciting, I'm waiting very patiently with rapt attention!

It's all good, 2013 will be a good's!

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2013, 23:33

Sounds like a really interesting project.  Great to hear it is in full swing, and hope we get to listen to the finished version in the not too distant future.
Rock on Mike!
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2013, 04:54

Since last Friday, the facebook group dissappeared. What happened?? Maybe i'm very wrong, but is it possible that Caroline has lost her job as Mikes PA??
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2013, 07:40

It's still there:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mikeoldfieldpersonal/?fref=ts

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
81 replies since Nov. 07 2012, 20:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net