Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Update at mikeoldfield.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
kris
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 01:16

The new demo music is refreshing - the first new music from Mike for a long time.  This is the highlight of the demo, although the large cavern is fairly special.  I was quite impressed and fairly amazed when I flew below the water level in the river and found the sunken ship!   Unfortunately that's is far as it went.  Will try again tomorrow.  

As for the "atmospheric" album, sounds good to me.  Tres Lunas worked for me perfectly.   The days of the long epics like Amorak may return someday, but give him time.
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 11:24

well, _if_ the music that's included there should be something like a "teaser" for the next album, then -sorry, but- : forget it.
I've heard a bunch of stuff I dlded from mp3.com years ago during the last days that sounds alot better, warmer and more professional than this xyth rebirth of TSODE/TL.....

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 12:33

I hope Mike will use a lot of acoustic instruments in the next album instead of these lame Roland/Korg synthesizer and PRS guitar sounds (which do sound very boring to me now because he uses them everytime)

Don't get me wrong, I like some music pieces in the demo of Maestro, but they sound very standard and boring.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ale
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 13:21

Hi people,

About the new album:
It seems like everybody wants a new Amarok, except Mike...

I'm just happy to have a new album, no matter the style...
(well, maybe no dance music would make me happier... :p )

Anyway, I'm quite tired of hearing stuff like "mike has lost his passion...", "always tubular bells...", "Where's the sound of the '70?": it's a very irrational way of being fans of someone!!
The '70s are gone! We're in another century!

Stop criticizing!
Listen to the music: a lot more fun!

Go for it Mike!
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 17:20

well, it may surprise u, but: I'm (one of) the last one(s) who want(s) a "new Amarok"....
:)
additionaly I'm not happy about every release just for the fact that it is released, 'cause I don't have fun in/of music I don't like (or have heard 1000 times before).
there's also a difference (at least for) me between sayin' that I don't like a kind of music and not havin' "respect" for the fact that someone "makes" music.

just my 2 cents,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
toMtOm Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2004, 08:02

Have you ever tried to use the great OggRip sw (created by Sebastian) on the new Maestro demo dat file? ;) I think the three bigger pieces of music (each is 40-50 mp long) is quite interesting, ambient and chill out and so on... So I like it! (Btw, in the demo I "found" only two music of them)
I hope we could listen more music from Mike soon.
toMtOm, MMORK
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2004, 12:36

Hey, you're right Tomtom! :) That third piece has a totally different guitar sound than his "standard" sound! Sorry and good work Mike! ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TheManIsBack Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2004, 14:25

An simple atmospheric album by MO? No thanks.

God, after the brilliant TB2003 I had great expectations for another detailed complex album.

Please don't fade away Mike. No more silly Emoll D Amoll synth patches, with a few guitar notes being repeated 5 minutes. It is really a shame to waste a talant like this.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2004, 17:40

This post was previously much longer and maybe even offensive to someone, but aften a careful read-through of all the other posts here, I decided to edit it drastically. :)

I love Mike's current music. I love Tres Lunas, in fact it's one of my favs in Mike's output. And for these reasons I tend to agree with everyone here who's saying 'stop criticizing Mike'. Is his current music not powerful? I don't care. Is it the n-th reincarnation of TSODE? I don't care. Is it always repeating the same chord sequences? I don't care. Everyone out there is capable of doing music like that? I don't care. Is it Mike Oldfield? I don't care!! :) What I care about is the fact that to me it's beautiful music, and I love it for that reason.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2004, 18:10

"... I don't mean that I don't like his current music, actually I love it. But we all should remember that this is the present of Mike Oldfield." <- original by ugo

well, I've never paid for a present I got....

"This post was previously much longer and maybe even offensive to someone, but aften a careful read-through of all the other posts here, I decided to edit it drastically. :)"

IMHO u changed the meaning totaly.
now, what's next ?
another massive change of opinion ?

well, I care much for music I _like_.
this includes that I nearly don't give a sh*t for music I don't like and unfortunately nearly 80% of Mr. O's output since 1983 belong to this term.
what is the xxth re-creation of a tune good for, if the "old one(s)" still fit for one personaly ? near to nothing.
I'm one of the last ones who have problems with musicians changin' there style, but IMHO Mr. O has just become lazy and -parts of his recent output, especialy TL- boring.
that's my personal opinion, my feeling, which has nothin' to do with "disrespect". there are many people around who use the wannabe-"argument" that one should create something "better" before daring to put "critics" over anything.
that's nothin' more than dogmatism.

Later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2004, 18:25

Well, actually the meaning is changed. But that's just because I felt I was being too harsh before.
Yes, I agree that Mike has gotten lazy, and that his current output can't be even compared with the heights he reached in the '70s, but my point is that IMHO his current music does not deserve any criticism, because it's good. It's not TB, it's not Ommadawn, it's not Amarok - it's very far from all of that, but it's good. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2004, 20:46

Lighten up everyone.  Mike's style has changed over the years, and it's up to you if you like the change or not.  I wouldn't mind Amarok 2, but I also love TL at the same time.

Everyone wants Mike to go back to his old way of writing music, yet we also don't want another TB...hmmm.  I don't want him to stay in the '70s!  Wouldn't we all start complaining how much Mike's music sounds the same if he stuck to that sound all the time?  Most of my favorites from Mike are from the '80s on, so I'm glad for the changes.  It appeals to me.  Mike can't take everyone with him as he changes.

And any time you think Mike's getting lazy, listen to rap music, the stuff popular here in America.  Now *that's* lazy in every possible way :-).
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2004, 05:02

Quote (Fox @ Feb. 05 2004, 20:46)
Everyone wants Mike to go back to his old way of writing music, yet we also don't want another TB...hmmm.  I don't want him to stay in the '70s!  Wouldn't we all start complaining how much Mike's music sounds the same if he stuck to that sound all the time?

Who is "we"? If he had stuck to that sound his fanbase would be radically different now. Some of the same people would be there, but many wouldn't. Others would. And I don't think any of them would complain if his output had been consistenly keeping the quality of his 70s work up to now. Also, it still wouldn't sound exactly the same. It can't. Technology has changed so much over the years, new styles have appeared (not just the 'popular' ones), all of which he wouldn't have ignored even if there hadn't been the radical stylistical cut between Incantations and Guilty / Platinum.
Also, I think most of the people who wish he went back to his seventies style are hoping more for another Ommadawn type album than another Tubular Bells.

And any time you think Mike's getting lazy, listen to rap music, the stuff popular here in America.  Now *that's* lazy in every possible way :-).

I don't agree. While rap is certainly one of my least favourite styles of music, much of the stuff that's popular now sounds far from lazy to me but actually very carefully executed. Arguably not very imaginative but by no means unprofessional or lazy.
Profile PM 
Rob
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 07 2004, 07:03

Can someone make some music files of the music in the game, because it does not work for me and i am sure others have the same problem as was Music Vr 1
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2004, 11:33

There is an emule link in the E-Mule Links for Oldfield files topic

...this file includes all the .ogg files ripped from the demo (mainly the only 3 short musics)

c.c.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2004, 14:53

Ok my pennies now...

I'm hoping for an album that is more consistant then the befuddled Tres Lunas.  Good album with no direction (sorta like the game).  Now Maestro has a mission and direction - maybe Mike has found a new direction musically as well.  

I am not going to get my hopes up or atleast try not too so I won't have any reason to be disappointed.  

As for returning to the 70's - wonderful idea, but totally unrealistic, atleast here in America.  It is unfortunate really as 70's music is more enduring than more recent generations.  Here in America we seem to have the 80's going again.  So, if Mike were really in the mood to do another pop album like he did in the 80's with his 80's machines - he would have a better chance of selling records in the States, at this point anyway.

Folks lets face it, our rocker is getting older and as one gets older they tend to lean towards more R&R than hard core.  That's just life - unfortunate really, as we still have the Stones and others his age still rocking.  

It is not right for us to demand anything from Mike or expect what we know he is not going to do.  He is the artist and this must be excepted among us - he makes his own life and art the way he wants it to sound to make himself happy.  It is not for us to decide!!  

Though if I had the choice of a similar album to compare what he calls "atmostpheres and melodies", it would be 'Songs of Distant Earth'.  On the other hand we could end up with a very good soundtrack to go with our planetariums - LOL!  :p

Gin and Tonic
if you please
come and watch
the stars with me

There's a nice little insert for the new album and new title "Planetarium"

You have been Watching (well reading anyway)

Chris
Profile PM 
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 16 2004, 14:56

Mike is now planning his next album, of "simple atmospheres and melodies".

- Déja-écouté-et-déja-fait

déja-boring aussi...   :zzz:
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 18 2004, 10:20

Maybe everyone is taking the "simple atmospheres and melodies" statement the wrong way.  Maybe Mike is trying to keep us guessing as to what exactly is up his sleeve for this one.  After all, doesn't Ommadawn have "simple atmospheres and melodies"?  And everybody loves it!  Maybe the next album will be closer to the early works than we are expecting.
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2004, 12:11

Quote (Guest @ Feb. 18 2004, 10:20)
After all, doesn't Ommadawn have "simple atmospheres and melodies"?

Simple melodies... well, some, but not exclusively. Simple atmospheres? Not at all. It's all very complex and atmospherically tight, if you know what I mean. Just listen to all the stuff going on at the beginning of part 2. Not what I would call simple atmospheres.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2004, 13:00

Simple atmospheres and melodies can be two choices:

-like the Tr3s Lunas model...

or

-like TSODE model,songs connected into the others.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
49 replies since Jan. 30 2004, 15:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net