Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Update at mikeoldfield.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 18 2004, 13:18

..... that would mean: soemthin' I'd sleep in at, again....
if I'd even manage to listen to it without using the "skip"/ffw-tab.
which again is somethin' that I only did one @ TL : the 1st time I listened to it.
at the 2nd listen all these wannabe-"instruments" bored too much,.............. these days I don't listen to it at all, I've simply given up to "get into it".
I really wonder when/if Mr. O. will release an album again which is

- no xyth "Bells"-re-animation
- nothing produced to get old DVDs sold one already has
- somethin' that isn't a collection of left-overs
- handmade music that needs more than 2 clonede Mikes on a concert to perform it....
:)

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
kris
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 22 2004, 13:38

To those who think Mike hasn't written anything worthwhile since 1977 or whatever, then I have to question why you would even bother to visit these forums.   Obviously these people must not have an affinity for new age/electronic music at all, because what Mike has been doing for the past 10 years is trying several different styles of mixing electronic sounds, guitar, and modern percussion sounds to his liking.  He has never seemed to copy or emulate anyone, and always has given everything his own, unique touch to it, almost as though he's composing music form scratch, with no influences, which is remarkable.   The only disappointment for me, was Millenium Bell, which felt rushed, and totally un-inspired after track 3.   Everything else has been totally welcome and sheer fantastic to listen to.
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2004, 14:37

- "....then I have to question why you would even bother to visit these forums."

even if people like these would exist, wouldn't they have the same right to come here as the "everything Mike does is wonderful"-whores ? luckily it's no dogmatic rule to have any specific taste in M.O.'s carrier to visit these forums, even if some would like to see it that way....

- "Obviously these people must not have an affinity for new age/electronic music at all, because ....."

because other artists aren't forced to play like Mike O. and he hasn't discovered New Age/Electronic music either ?

- "He has never seemed to copy or emulate anyone...."

LOL
even "die hard"-M.O.-fanatics I know have faced the fact that (just for example) TSODE is nothin' but an attempt to jump onto the Enigma-train....
not to speak of various other "similarities" one can discover when listening to other artists' albums which were released long before Mike's stuff (take a listen to Miriam Stockley's "Forever my Heart" and run "To be free" after it, just to get an imagination what I'm speakin' of)...

- "....with no influences...."

another good one.
did u know that even Mr. O. himself stated various influences to his music ?

- "Everything else has been totally welcome and sheer fantastic to listen to."

don't forget that this is to your taste only and others may have another one, TMB is one of my fav. albums, just as an example....

Later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2004, 18:12

Quote (dkaycom @ Feb. 22 2004, 20:37)
(take a listen to Miriam Stockley's "Forever my Heart" and run "To be free" after it, just to get an imagination what I'm speakin' of)...

OFF TOPIC ;)

As far as I can hear with my (cloth?) ears, "To be free" just owes the atmosphere and a bit of backing vocals to "Forever my heart". Everything else IMHO is much better in Miriam's song than in Mike's. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2004, 18:56

well, if u count the hookline in your "atmosphere", u're right....
it isn't too hard to sound better than TBF, though.
:)

Later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
Gj
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 02 2004, 03:37

Does anyone know a direct URL to the Maestro demo download? I just can't get it through the flash thingy..
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2004, 06:18

try this 1 , at least it's the link on gets there.....

later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2004, 07:01

I've just returned from 6 weeks working away and its certainly good to see a lot of movement in the Oldfield universe. The new website is good it has to be said, very cool interface but there is still no links page even to the Dark Star site (actualy is DarkStar still alive? They don't seem to have updated for a while)
My big computer is out of action at the moment so I haven't had a chance to play the new demo but I'm looking forward to playing Maestro and seeing whether its as good as Mike claims it is. A big part of me wishes there was less 'motherships', 'gravitars' and whatever else and more honest to goodness emotional depth to MVR. Not all of us are huge Star Trek fans Mike!!!
I noticed the Maestro cover image is buy the same guy who did TresLunas. It has to be said TresLunas was much, much better, very cool. Maestro however looks like some dodgy 70's Sci-Fi movie poster. Again if Mike wants to preach MVR beyond the converted few he should make everything about it as inspirational as possible.

I don't really think its the end of the world if the new music in the game is like TresLunas, remember there are technical considerations as to why the music can't be to complex, not that that excuses everything however.  

As for the new 'simple atmospheres and melodies' album, well it could be good, but then again it could be Voyager. Personaly I'll belive it when I hear it, Mike is of course famed for changing his mind every week, I mean the new album could change into thrash metal by the time we hear it. However I do as ever hold out hope for something more engaging than a collection of 4 minuit tracks in the mould of 'Wild Goose Flaps its Wings'. Not that thats the worst track Mike has writen, but we all know he's capable of much, much more. So I wonder whether 2004 will see a new Mike album? I'd rather he took his time and did something decent but then again if he's feeling acousticaly refreshed from the process of rerecording TB then maybe he should just go for it. We could see an album release for christmas.

ps I don't really think Maestro is that bad a name, afterall it has suitable musical connotations.

pps. Its good to see a decent forums section at MO.com and even better to see Mike actualy taking part in them, I'm sure a lot of fans apreciate it
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2004, 16:51

The name Meastro stinks full on big time.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2004, 16:53

Even when it's spell't wrong.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
49 replies since Jan. 30 2004, 15:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net