Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Two covers for TSODE?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Down Under Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 02 2009, 19:11

I just got the German release 4509-98542-2.  It has all the inserts and artwork for the "man with the balls" enhanced CD-ROM edition, including "000 CD ROM Track" first in the tracklist and all the Mac instructions for it.  Trouble is that it doesn't have the enhanced CD logo on the front cover (I've noticed the absence of it on plenty of images of the "balls" front cover), nor does it have the enhanced CD logo on the disc or on the back insert (which I have seen on one other release).  I haven't tried Mac emulation to see if the CD-ROM track is actually on the disc yet (apart from HFVExplorer, which I understand isn't XP-compatible and therefore doesn't show the track anyway).  So, can anybody confirm if the CD-ROM track is actually on this German release anyway?  It would be a surprise and disappointment if it's not there, in spite of all the references in the inserts.   :/  :/  :/
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 11:57

Just received my UK CD of TSODE with the different cover. Some guy is selling these on eBay, SEALED and in perfect condition for $8.50 each. Very pleased to have both versions! Check out the "Buy It Now" section if you're interested....
Profile PM 
Jimmy Nimbus Offline

Posted: July 04 2010, 16:40

I looked through this thread to see if anyone mentioned it, but they didn't:

The first TSODE edition I owned is the UK release, manta ray cover and with the CD-Rom track but, and this is the thing, the CD-Rom track was track 1 and the CD had a big warning about skipping that track as it could potentially damage your speakers if you were to play it, so to hear the album properly you had to put it in the player and then start it from track 2. I was always paranoid that one day I'd put it in and press play without realising.

I think eventually I did give it a go and my hi-fi was intelligent enough to not play audio for that track, which was probably for the best.

I'm not sure what happened to that edition as I know have Balls Man and the data track listed as the unplayable Track 0 (different content, I believe  - the first one was definitely based around Hibernaculum but the second one had some Let There Be Light content - not sure if it also contained the Hibernaculum content).

Also, considering how I tend to prefer the less synthesized Oldfield albums, TSODE is among my top five, and poss top three favourites.
Profile PM 
Rider in the Blue Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 23:18

I have the Not So Compact Disc version (vinyl LP) version with the planet/manta ray picture, which doesn't have the CD-ROM track and is also bereft of the artwork of the CD versions. I remember feeling short-changed when I bought it, but that changed when I played the album. I still think WEA could have made more of an effort though; a fully illustrated sleeve would have been a lot more impressive! :-)

A couple of years ago, I bought a second-hand copy in a charity shop, marked with a sticker "Licensee for Saudi Arabia, U.A.E and Lebanon, Music Master (presumably the distributor). Not intended for sale within the EEC or EFTA". This also has the manta ray cover and no CD-ROM track.

Interestingly (well okay, maybe not! ) the LP version's Arthur C. Clarke text says ..."having played the CD-ROM..." whilst the CD booklet just says "CD" there. I guess WEA didn't want to make folk in other countries jealous that they couldn't buy the CD-ROM version!  :laugh:

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 04:38

Be Handy if they would release a Windows Version ...  Not so many people using Macs  .. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 12:56

I've got both covers with CD-Rom content, and I from memory the CD-Rom content is different - one has Mike playing Let There Be Light on a Chapman stick, and the other has the full Let There Be Light video.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the second cover (the man with the balls) was from stock photography with the manta added on, because some computer magazine used a very similar image
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 12:57

Quote (3Wheeler @ Jan. 05 2011, 09:38)
Be Handy if they would release a Windows Version ...  Not so many people using Macs  .. :cool:

And it doesn't work that well on Intel Macs, and it's kind of a box in the middle of the screen instead of full-screen.

But there are probably more people using Macs now than there were when it came out.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 18:37

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Jan. 06 2011, 18:57)
And it doesn't work that well on Intel Macs, and it's kind of a box in the middle of the screen instead of full-screen.

Yes, because it was all made in 640x480, which was very common at the time. Nowadays the most common screen resolutions are much larger than that. I have a Disney videogame from the same era, which behaves identically.

I don't think that more people use Macs now than they were when TSoDE was released, at least not in Italy. Back then the PC-Mac balance was 85% vs. 15%. Nowadays it may be something like 80% vs. 20%, but IMHO no more than that... especially with so many laptops around, most of which are PCs. Apple MacBooks are used mostly by musicians. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 04 2012, 05:34

It's weird that a UFO release shares the 2nd cover from TSODE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Chr...._m_h__5
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 04 2012, 07:04

And there´s another one:

And a very special one:

;)

Edited by manintherain on April 04 2012, 07:09
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: April 07 2012, 12:17

Quote (Rider in the Blue @ Jan. 04 2011, 23:18)
Interestingly (well okay, maybe not! ) the LP version's Arthur C. Clarke text says ..."having played the CD-ROM..." whilst the CD booklet just says "CD" there. I guess WEA didn't want to make folk in other countries jealous that they couldn't buy the CD-ROM version!  :laugh:

There were others of us still in the stone age back in the nineties, and the cassette version had the future Sir Arthur enthusing about the CD-ROM too.  99.99% sure about that given my copy isn't in with the main box where my collection currently rests: my life is as disorganised as my posts...

Further to some of the other memories of release, I know that our branch of Woolworths had the CD in the week of release.  It was in a thin, slimline jewel case, so would probably have been exchanged on purchase, and had track 000 listed on the back cover.  I planned to get it at some point, as I assumed that I would eventually acquire a computer.  As I was still several years away from my first CD player, I never got round to it and all of a sudden all copies I saw were without extra content.  I seem to remember first seeing the alternate cover about the time the Disky editions of some albums appeared, and imagined a connection between them that I imagine is non-existent!  :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2019, 01:55

Quote (Nacho @ April 04 2012, 05:34)
It's weird that a UFO release shares the 2nd cover from TSODE

[URL=http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Chrysalis-Years-Vol-1980-1986/dp/B0070BG9AM/ref=pd_sim_m_h5[/URL]

Well, that glowing sphere is like a chrysalis, isn't it?

The reason I'm posting on this thread is that I've finally got a copy of TSODE with the manta ray/devilfish cover. I much prefer it to subsequent one: it's bold, challenging, mysterious and immediately grabs the eye. With the man and spheres cover you really have to study it for there to be an impact.

I was interested to see in the liner notes an image of the manta ray transformed into the Voyager spaceship from Maestro.
Profile PM 
31 replies since Oct. 15 2000, 12:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net