Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Two covers for TSODE?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pikalcazar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 12:09

The first one has "birds" and a planet, and the second one (the cover what I have) is a man w/ lights

Can somebody understand this???
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 15:13

Right, Pikalcazar.
The old one shows a stingray and a crescent, and the new one shows many stingrays and a man with shining hot springs or something. Both versions can be found at this site (Click: Albums.)
I checked the (very precise) discography at Dark Star, but didn't find any hint. Except from: TSODE was Mike's last album published as LP. Can this mean anything? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 18:39

The picture of the stingray(?) is the European Release. The man with the lights is the USA Release. Same music on both CDs, just different covers. i personally like the lights better smile smile

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 20:32

I have a habit of getting Mike’s stuff the week of release. So the version I got was the dark cover, same music all right but no CD ROM track.
rosko Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2000, 04:23

No tubularbills, I have have a European copy which is the man with lights version, so the difference in countries is not the reason for the different covers. The reason is that one version has the CD-ROM track and one doesn't. I'll continue to believe this unless someone can show me a CD-ROM version with the dark stingray cover.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 16 2000, 08:00

The first versoin distributed in France had a dark cover and a CD-ROM track. Different from the CD-ROM track on the man with lights version: instead of Let There Be Light, there is a clip with Mike playing Chapman stick (it's not Chapman stick in reality, so Mike is cheating ;-) ) There are other minor differences, the end credits in particular.
I have seen 3 versions:

• dark cover w/ CD-ROM version 1 (Europe)
  • man with lights cover w/ CD-ROM version 2 (Europe)
  • dark cover wo/ CD-ROM (Canada, and UK I believe - because CDs w/ CD-ROMS couldn't reach the charts)

Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2000, 06:16

Both covers were released in Europe. I don't know which one was released in the USA.
The first one (dark/stingray/crescent) was available both with or without CD-R track from the first day.
The second one (man/lights) had extra CD-R material (let there be light video for example). I don't know if exists a second cover version without CD-R track.
The book that inspired the album has a edition in Spain that uses the second cover as book cover.
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2000, 11:02

Well, in the USA, All i've seen is the man w/ the lights cover. And it does have the CD-Rom track (but i don't have a mac! D'oh!). I think it's kind of cool that it does have two covers. Did any of his other ablbums have any? I thought there were a few that might have , but i'm not sure which ones. Could you imagine Tubular Bells w/ a different cover? Wat do you think it would look like?

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2000, 11:19

I heard that back when "Tubular Bells" was still to be called either "Breakfast In Bed" or "Opus One" it was to have a bleeding egg on the cover, kind of like the cover of "Heaven's Open".
Profile PM 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2000, 12:36

Hi all agn and thx for reply my msg.

I've got the cover w/ the man/lights, I bought it here in Spain and the CD tracks are for MAC. It's possible to see the tracks in a MAC emulator? I think it's yes with a good emu...
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2000, 05:26

Originally posted by tubularbills:
I think it's kind of cool that it does have two covers. Did any of his other ablbums have any?

Hi,
I think Isl. had one cover for Europe and one for USA. Can someone confirm this ?

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2000, 08:17

Yes, Islands has two covers...European version [better, IMHO... smile and USA version.
You can find 'em both on www.amadian.net .

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2000, 16:47

I downloaded a video which shows you what the CD-ROM track is like from Amadian

Which version of the first video is it showing. It has Mike playing LTBL on some kind of guitar at a funny angle with a star background. Totally pointless, but quite good back in 94
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 14:00

I adore the cover artwork - it's as good as the album!
One of my all-time favourite album covers.
I am of course referring to the 'man with balls of light' version.

Does anybody know who the man is? Is it Mike?

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Hoot Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 11:57

I prefer the one with the space scene with the manta ray and the light shinging behind the planet making it look like a crescent, its just so surreal!

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 07:38

Quote (Hoot @ May 27 2006, 11:57)
I prefer the one with the space scene with the manta ray and the light shinging behind the planet making it look like a crescent, its just so surreal!

Yes - this is my favourite as well.  The light one is in the shops - but have just spotted a 2nd hand manta one - roll on pay day.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2008, 14:03

I got this the day it comes out so i got the version without the cd rom.Is it particualrly rare?And are there any other diffrences?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 06:59

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 25 2008, 14:03)
I got this the day it comes out so i got the version without the cd rom.Is it particualrly rare?And are there any other diffrences?

From what I have read just the CD-ROM track was added.  Then when the new cover came out the CD-ROM track had a few extra bits over the first version of it.  Music is apparently the same on all 3.  So:

1)  First 'manta' cover release - no CD-ROM track
2)  Next 'manta' cover release - CD-ROM track
3)  New cover - "enhanced" CD-ROM track
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 09:01

I have both the Manta Ray with no CDROM track version (three pounds fifty, International Stock Kings Heath),
and the man with balls (ooeer missus!;) with CDROM track (eight euro's bought in record shop in Spain).
I think they both have beautiful covers.
I love this album.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 18:19

Quote (Hoot @ May 27 2006, 11:57)

Yeh, so do I.

I've got both for some reason, but I much prefer the original manta ray in space image.

The later image looks more like a computer game or something. It's not bad, a bit confused and lacking focus, and also lacking the simple effectiveness of the first.

The same applies to the US version of Islands. How on earth did they expect to sell any records with that bloody awful cover? Why do they do these things? Who is it that assumes that human beings in one country (en masse) are going to prefer a wildly different image to that selected for elsewhere?

It's quite common - for various artists, but baffling nonetheless. The first example I remember of this kind of nonsense was the Blind Faith cover in 1969, which had a fantastic cover (in the U.K.) of this semi-naked adolescent girl holding a silver spaceship model against a dutch type landscape background. There was nothing sexually arousing about it whatsoever. It had more of a pre-raphaelite feel to it. It was tasteful, enigmatic, powerful and very memorable. It is obviously quite famous nowadays.

The prurient powers that be in the U.S.A. were having none of it though. The LP appeared Stateside with the U.K. inner gate images of band in rehearsals - which was dull by comparison.

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
31 replies since Oct. 15 2000, 12:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net