Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tuning problem with my analysis< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 10 2006, 10:15

Hi all, I have been playing along to ommadawn to work out things for my analysis and I have found myself perplexed by a tuning issue. The opening appears to be based around F#minor but it seems a little flat if you play along with it on a keyboard. It seems to hover between F# and G. But if you continue through the piece it all becomes in tune. This has led me to believe that the opening few minutes are in fact badly out of tune, because the tuning sorts itself out later on.

If anybody could help me with this as it has baffled me and has made my analysis of the piece a little trickier.

btw I am writing a 6000 word essay on the album ommadawn, looking at its construction, orchestration and performance techniques, so any input would be welcome.

Cheers!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2006, 11:29

I had the same problem yesterday when trying to figure out some guitar parts. The beginning is definitely flat. Maybe it's caused by the original tape ? I had to resort to the Knebworth video to properly play along the music.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2006, 14:36

I've always played along with it as G minor. However, I agree that it's flat (about a quarter-of-a-tone between F sharp and G), and that it's definitely a tape-related issue. This also happens with the main synth part in Blue Peter, in most Beatles songs, especially the later ones [did anyone ever tried playing guitar along to "The End"? :D], and also in Eric Clapton's original version of "Layla". Sometimes the usage of vari-speed techniques during recording can produce weird effects in the tuning when the tape is played back at normal speed, but to me it's not that bad. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2006, 14:39

Sorry, double post. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 04:03

*More recently*, Scorpions 'Still Loving you', and Police 'Every Breath you take' are also a quarter of tone flat.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Nov. 10 2006, 10:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net