Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (11) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular.net project., An idea that need everyone.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 06:16

it's a very nice idea. i'm sure u all working together could do something really good.

[@eeton: please, don't underestimate yourself, imho u can add a spark to the group. some of your tracks are still among my favourites in my tubular.net playlist.]

best luck for this project.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 18:32

Thank you for your encouraging words! :) Though, I thought more of my inability to play instruments. I don't even have a midi-keyboard yet... Though I think I will help about it soon. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 00:19

So where do we start, Edoardo? Are you going to give us a track to start with and kind of branch off? I'm curious to see how this will work.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 04:51

How about doing a set of variations on a theme? Ed starts it off with a 'seed' melody and everyone else creates things somehow based on it. To use a Mike example, it could be something like the way the Tubular Bells opening theme is used throughout Part One - sometimes in the foreground, sometimes the background, sometimes minor, sometimes major. I'm thinking of something more adventurous than everyone clubbing together and producing 40 minutes' worth of the same chord sequence and melody just with different instruments!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 08:01

ooo... instead of 4 minutes of Finale, have 40!!

:D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 08:50

Well, 24 replies means that the we also are a band!
So, we start in that way (more or less how korgscrew suggest):
in a couple of days i will publish on my web server a "backbone" of what i've in my mind.
Don't care about sounds, ecc. (it's a backbone).
With the backbone (in MP3 256Kb/s) i will give the information for your recording program (i use cubase Sx3) such TEMPO etc.
I propose myself as the "headquarter" to send the files.
I will give you also the account of my FTP so you can upload easily your files.
Everyone has to send their ideas (guitars part, sounds, structure) in MP3 256k/s.

By now the group is:
Musically Inspired, Langdana, Eeton, Booster, Ray, Jammer (the nylon-strings bass sounds to me very inspiring), Moonchildhappy.
The not-musicians members will decide the name of the band and the titles of what we'll do (this is a work for Super-Maria...).

So, see you thursday on the same channel with the first step.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 08:52

I think there are even more people willing to be in the band!
Like myself (play bass), and jonny who plays everything, but mainly guitar!! there are probably even more...
:)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 09:58

Edoardo: can you include a midi as well? :) I'm not good at guessing chords/notes by ear :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 14:44

Korg's idea of variations on a theme would be effective.

While trying to get everyone to play a part at the same time is a more sociable and inclusive way of bring the musicians together, mixing it at the end will be very difficult. Ten or so parts for the Finale took ages to piece together and the smallest difference in timing can throw the whole mix out. Not everybody has ideal recording conditions making the addition of noise more of an issue. If it's possible, I'd suggest more of an emphasis on individual sections than on ensemble playing.

However, I like the idea you have of a backbone theme. I usually need some small spark of inspiration like this to get composing. :)
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 15:01

I'm going to be buying a new keyboard in the next few weeks so I might be able to add something.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 15:29

count me in!!!!!!!!!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 17:59

I'm ready.

Following the link you will find the first part of the backbone (5 minutes).
This is my idea:
A 60 minutes track made of 4 quarters of 15 minutes (more or less). So while we're working for the arrangement of a quarter someone else could start to compose the backbone for others quearters.
Every quarter has 3 different slice.
For example these 5 minutes are the first slice of the first quarter, so composed:
Part 1 (about 0.07)
VIRTUOSO INTRO
All instruments meeting in fast riffs
Part 2 (about 1.08)
TRACK THEME
A theme that, in my mind, will be reprise in every quarter of the project in different shapes. A minute where everyone has to be magic to find the right riff.
Part 3 (about 2.04)
FANTASY GARDEN
A fast piano riff to makes the other instruments rest for the lead theme
Part 4 (about 3.01)
LEAD THEME
The lead theme of the first quarter of the track. In my idea it will be reprise once.
Part 5 (about 4.07)
TRANSITION "A" - THE INDIAN TUNNEL
I 've planned 8 transitions (2 for quarter) that will be the "glue" for the 3 slices of each quarter (5 minutes each).

The first quarter is recorded in tempo 102.00

The only part where i made a riff work is the FANTASY GARDEN. In the others there's only the percussion carpet and the chords background.
In the zip file you will find the audio track (tempo 102), a midi track for the chords and the instructions for the access to the FTP section of my site for upload the file.
In the folder you can upload the audio files of your compositions (it's better if everyone create his own folder inside to avoid the files with the same name, so we can work faster).
When we got all the files from everyone we can start to mix the parts. When we got the first result, well, we got our start point to work. In that way everyone could listen every files and make his own idea of mix and upload it, so we can decide the right style to follow.

Don't care about the sounds and don't mind if the first part seems to be powerless, it's all about sounds and riffs.

In my compositions i use to change the tone again and again, i hope the midi file will be helpful (not only for booster :-)).
Anyway, we start in C minor.

Welcome to johnny and pitdownboy. Of course anyone who wants to join this project can do his part in every moment. It's an open project, maybe the first with an original theme.

Can't wait to have your feedback / compositions. I'm sure that, if we'll have patience, we'll do something really great.

Edoardo

Project

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 18:04

I'm going to be buying a new keyboard in the next few weeks so I might be able to add something.

Everything will be precious, believe me.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 18:19

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 20 2006, 06:56)
Please excuse my ignorance :O   but what's a citern?

About the project, sounds interesting, I wish I could join in but I don't have any means of recording myself, and  my guitar playing isn't very good,  no F chords please, can't get to grips with Fs . I need to practise some more  ;).  I can bang my bodrhan and make it tuneful, still have a bit of a way to go, to get good at it.

A citern is a long mandolin - as looooong as a guitar.

It usually has 10 strings in 5 pairs - like a mandolin.

Look for Dave Freshwater's website:

http://www.freshwater-instruments.com/product2.htm#4

Especially look at the celtic sound hole! Niiice.  :cool:

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 18:25

well, as a non-musician I can only give my support and encouragement. Having heard most of your individual work I am so positive about this. there are international class musicians amongst you, I've got tracks I play from you lot more than radio artists.

Good luck, you have a lot of work yet to come.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 19:25

OK - i had a listen.  More light and shade than ommadawn but it's a start.  

Am I daft or did I detect a few key changes?  I really need to know where the major key changes are and what they will be to do a guitar part.

Trying to play along with it by ear is difficult as the key seems to change all the time?  Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 19:30

for what i've heard on the first step of 'project', it seems to me it can be very interesting to attend the work u'll do by adding all your own ideas.

The not-musicians members will...

ok, keep on letting the music flow and i'll see what it whispers to me..

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 20:10

Trying to play along with it by ear is difficult as the key seems to change all the time?  Ray

I start in C minor, so i change in Eb minor and i come back in C minor. I use to slide 3 halftones.

More light and shade than ommadawn but it's a start.

A "modern" amarok maybe?  :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 01:29

Beautiful backbone piece, Ed. It's making my mind swirl with ideas! I'll record some and get them to you as quick as I can!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 08:02

Sounds good at the moment. Hopefully it'll become more complex as it goes along.

I'll probably listen to what gets added to it first before joining in.
Profile PM 
200 replies since Mar. 18 2006, 07:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (11) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net