Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular.net download centre< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DCDayDreamer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 19:27

I would appreciate it if the admin and musicians at tubular.net would post honest replies to this post, that doesn't mean I'm implying that anyone is dishonest, it means that I would like an honest opinion with no holds barred, if the admin/musicians feel that this topic should be taken to PM's (private Messages) then that's ok with me also.

I'd like to express to all the musicians and staff at this site that I do not want to 'muscle in' on tubular.net and host a site purely for my benefit, all I'm proposing is a download centre for what I believe to be truly awesome music.

I use my free time working for a freeware gaming site, we have had a major update recently and mirrors for the site have been the topic of discussion for some time now, another site member along with myself are looking into mirrors, I am once again on the verge of taking out a hosting plan with the idea of providing a mirror for the available site (should the main site go down, we would have a backup alternative for the visitors). I am a true believer in freeware, if something has been created digitally for everyone for free, then everyone should have access to it, as an example of this I recently created a one file download from our main site that was over 550MB, completely free, and privately funded. That may not sound like much dedication, but considering the fact that the material available for download is over 60 years old and has had thousands of downloads, that should sway opinions.

What I'm proposing is this:
I would like to provide a storage/download centre for the music available at tubular.net, this will be funded purely by myself, all downloads will be free, no site, just hyperlinks to the music. One idea that sprung to mind was a tubular.net main page left menu link to a sub-page (e.g. Mike Oldfield Fan Music) with a list of the music; the name of the track, the author, the download link (from me), the forum topic link - simple, but effective!.

Why?:
I've already stated that I'm a true believer in freeware, but I'm also a music nut, there's some really fantastic music available over here, it should be easier to get hold of and easier to hear. The forum is ok but the music files are scattered everywhere, some sites you have to register to get to the files, some links are broken, some files are hosted only for a short period of time etc. etc.
The main inspiration for this idea comes from OCRemix, it's a site dedicated to game music, the music is ripped from games and remixed by anyone who can do it, it's then rated and hosted at the site, the site hosts a vast amount of music purely because they are fans of the genre.

What's in it for me?:
Nothing really! (I do however get to hear all the music, so you could say I get everything!;). I will host the files regardless, but if there's a piece of music that sparks off some interest, I will ask permission from the author if I can use the music for a freeware game project, if the author says no that's fine, if the author says yes then he can have his (or she can have her) music feature in a freeware game - no strings attached!.

I do realise that I've only been a member of this forum for a month (had I found this site earlier, you'd be reading this earlier), there are many that would be cautious and sceptical, there's nothing I can really say to divert from those facts, all I can say is; if tubular.net wants a download centre, I'm willing to help just to say thanks for the music.

Whatever the outcome - this is a site I'm glad I found.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 19:58

take the fact many of us have own sites and we don't wanna be bothered uploading it here and there...and also there...

it would be just another site many people ignore...

a link-catalogue might be a better idea...

or a download centre where you can choose upload file or link file :)

sorry for being quick and maybe also a bit rude...but i'm quite in a hurry and wanted to present my point here...cya

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 21:01

take the fact many of us have own sites and we don't wanna be bothered uploading it here and there...and also there...

There'd be no need for anyone else to upload the music here and there, if someone wanted to upload the music to their site or whatever, I'd simply download and upload to the main download centre, don't forget - this is just an offer, no strings and no compulsory rules.

it would be just another site many people ignore...

As I'm typing this the Tubular.net forum currently has 2,132 members and 15 users online, I'm also logged in to a site forum where I'm an admin moderator which has 36,132 members and 1,347 users online, this whole idea is not about a site, it's about a download centre - click the url link and get the music :cool: .

a link-catalogue might be a better idea...

The whole idea is a sort of 'link catalogue', tubular.net would have a page with the files listed, full credits to musicians and sites, all I would provide is a download link, nothing more.

or a download centre where you can choose upload file or link file

That can be arranged very easily!.

sorry for being quick and maybe also a bit rude...but i'm quite in a hurry and wanted to present my point here...cya

No worries, 'a bit rude' I can handle even on my off days, it doesn't matter how you post in a forum, someone will read the text completely the wrong way. Maybe you should slow down a bit, just because your nik is BOOsTER, it doesn't mean you've got to live your life in the fast lane!.

Thanks for the feedback BOOsTER, and thanks for the music, cya ;).
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 23:37

That's actually, I think, a really good idea. I always wondered way back why Tubular.Net didn't have a fan music/cover section and then the fan tracks forums opened up. I think the next logical step would be to add a section to the main page. And it wouldn't cost any space for the webmaster because of the hyperlink idea.

Of course, Oliver and Korgscrew I guess have the final say. But I think this is a really neat idea. Is your idea going to be limited to Mike Oldfield covers or all fan tracks (original + covers)?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 05:17

That's actually, I think, a really good idea. I always wondered way back why Tubular.Net didn't have a fan music/cover section and then the fan tracks forums opened up.

As most (if not all) of you know, I'm pretty new over here, I stumbled on Tubular.net purely by doing some research on Mike Oldfield's releases from the last decade, I spent most of the time reading the topics in the forum and then spotted the fan tracks - I simply had to register here because of them. I find it a bit frustrating wading through topic after topic, having to register at other sites to download, finding broken links etc., I really believe the music available at this forum should be more accessible for everyone.

I think the next logical step would be to add a section to the main page. And it wouldn't cost any space for the webmaster because of the hyperlink idea.

That's exactly my point, I don't want to sound critical of the site, but it's lacking a fan music section on the main page, there's some real talent buried away in these forums, it's a shame that it could quite easily be overlooked by the visitors. All I'm offering is storage space (and bandwidth obviously), there would however be a cost to the webmaster, he (or she?) would have to spend the time to set up the page at the main site.

Of course, Oliver and Korgscrew I guess have the final say. But I think this is a really neat idea.

Hopefully Oliver and Korgscrew will give their opinion on the subject, I can't contribute any music to the community over here purely because I'm not a musician, this is just an offer to possibly contribute in another way.

Is your idea going to be limited to Mike Oldfield covers or all fan tracks (original + covers)?

The idea is to host all the fan tracks, that does mean though, that whoever maintains the site page might have to use subsections to keep some sort of order to the whole thing.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 06:23

this sounds good B-)

really :) I like the idea...and sorry for pointing out the "negative" sides that I thought of it was just a few random thoughts...seeing your answers I like the idea :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 18:08

Yes, I'm all for this idea. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to help with a project of this (potential) size in terms of providing space and the like, but I'm all in favour of you doing it. ;)

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 18:19

yes - this is a good idea.  Ray :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: April 04 2006, 13:06

I thought that everyone had lost interest in the idea, due to the lack of responses from the admin over here I decided to build up the content for a site, the original hyperlink offer still stands though.

So far I have 50 tracks from the covers forum, 19 tracks from the remix forum, and 154 tracks from the fan music forum (there's more I need to sort out though). There's no way I'm going to get all the tracks without help (there's so many dead links etc.), once the content I've got is up, if anyone has any missing tracks they could upload, or if they point me to a working download link, I'd be extremely grateful. :)
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: April 04 2006, 15:41

i will give you all the support you need.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 04 2006, 17:39

Hi there!

I'm the webmaster of TaurusIV.net, a spanish collection of sites about Mike Oldfield. I'd be glad to help you in whatever I can. Indeed, on the TaurusIV Mike Oldfield Wiki we are already working on a wiki pages about Inspired Artists, where you can see (so far) comments about several fan artists that have published their works here. The page is just an early draft, but the intention is to make in the wiki a kind of collection... not exhaistive, but just representative of each artist.

I think that a better idea than just complete that wiki pages would be to make a mirror of your site in spanish or just make your site multilingual. I'm good on english, so I can make the translations.

We can discuss it further... What do you think?

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 04 2006, 21:15

Quote (DarkenedEdo @ April 04 2006, 20:41)
i will give you all the support you need.

Hey man are you from Brazil - I hear abouth that plane crash on the macae flight - three people I was working weith remotely - very sad!  Ray  :/

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: April 14 2006, 19:27

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I already have a site that could be used for this - http://www.lyricless.com - and while it is possible to upload files, I think this would quickly put the bandwidth through the roof.  All you have to do is register a username and you can add links to your tracks here: http://www.lyricless.com/index?sec=13

Honestly, I don't mind whether it is used or not, but it makes sense to use a site that is already set up than to spend ages building a new one that serves the same purpose.  I do need to add the ability to comment on tracks though. And of course, it's a site for music without vocals, but I don't think that should cause most of you a problem!

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 18:53

Quote (Moz @ April 15 2006, 01:27)
I already have a site that could be used for this - http://www.lyricless.com - and while it is possible to upload files, I think this would quickly put the bandwidth through the roof.  All you have to do is register a username and you can add links to your tracks here: http://www.lyricless.com/index?sec=13

Nice site, user friendly, powered by Majestic CMS... Yeap, it could be a nice site for this purpose.

Quote (Moz @ April 15 2006, 01:27)
Honestly, I don't mind whether it is used or not, but it makes sense to use a site that is already set up than to spend ages building a new one that serves the same purpose.  I do need to add the ability to comment on tracks though. And of course, it's a site for music without vocals, but I don't think that should cause most of you a problem!

I agree, there's no need to reinvent the wheel everytime... And a track comment feature would be nice...

The bad thing is, as you've pointed out before, the bandwidth. Such a site would need loads of bandwidth... and that would be expensive for a single maintainer. A solution could be to allow to add just a direct link to download the song from an external site...

Maybe we should just join all SoundClick or AcidPlanet ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 11:40

I vote for acidplanet...

DJBOOsTER.net on there hehe

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 12:13

If lyricless.com were to be used, it would only be used to link to files.  As Wayfarer said, it'd be impossible to allow file uploads if more than a few people sign up.  It's a brand new site so it would need quite a bit of support.

The question is whether we are simply looking for a more "full featured" place to listen to each other's music, i.e. people from tubular.net... or if we want other people outside of tubular.net to listen to the tracks.

I've been using last.fm and have found it to be a great way to get new people to listen to my tracks.

How about we post all our tracks on a big site such as the ones that have been suggested, then post links to those tracks at lyricless.com?  This means we could get traffic from a big site that's already established, while keeping all of the tubular.net links in one place.  as there is a chance that people outside tubular.net may use lyricless.com, I could set up an area specifically for tubular.net members.  How does that sound?

(PS: I don't really mind either way - just trying to get this moving!;) :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 13:46

Using lyricless.com sounds like a really good idea, so...

The question is whether we are simply looking for a more "full featured" place to listen to each other's music, i.e. people from tubular.net... or if we want other people outside of tubular.net to listen to the tracks.

My original intention was purely to provide urls for the music of tubular.net to the members and visitors of tubular.net, so that offer still stands. A more ambitious project might cause bandwidth issues, I'd be limited to 1500GB a month including the sub domains.
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 14:17

Well, I'm almost done with the next version of Majestic CMS, which needs to be finished before people will be able to comment on tracks.  I'm hoping to get it done by the weekend.  I'll post here when commenting is up and running.

In the meantime, assuming people are happy with the idea, you can still register and post as many links as you like - I've written a guide to help:

http://www.lyricless.com/view_article?id=3

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 18:42

Actually... I am being stupid... if people aren't uploading files then you can simply add an article, and everyone will be able to comment on it.  No upgraded CMS required! :D

Sorry, I was still focused on file uploads!!  So, if people are up for using lyricless.com, you can get started right away...

Edit: Right, here we go then...
Tubular.net download centre

Just register a username and you'll be able to add tracks and comment on other people's tracks.  I've posted a track to get you started.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: April 27 2006, 12:17

So what's the plan?  I haven't seen anyone sign up at lyricless.com yet.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
92 replies since Mar. 18 2006, 19:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net