Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TubularBells II, Best M.O Album every< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SentinelGard Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2003, 23:12

I beleave that TB2 is the best MO album to date followed by Songs of a distant Earth. What do you think?

mike you Rock.....................

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 06:32

I would probably agree,it has something amazing to it,that certain magic,that i can listen to it all the way through and never get bored!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 07:46

Is there any album forum left yet where we don't have the 'Best MO album ever' topic?  :D
Profile PM 
Dude Offline

Posted: June 16 2003, 06:02

I agree with you, SentinelGard, although my second album would be Incantations (sometimes it's the other way round). Both albums never stop to fascinate, no matter how often you listen to them.

Cool avatar, by the way.

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 20 2003, 18:01

I don't like it at all. In fact, to me TB2 is the most disappointing of all his albums. (Er, make that Islands...) I really hoped back then that he done something resembling his old glory, but then it turned out to be even more of the same mindless, slick, over-produced plastic new age rubbish without any real musical substance or emotion to it. To me, Oldfield stopped being interesting in 1985, Discovery being his last great album. I do enjoy parts of Amarok. It doesn't hold up as a full record, though.
Incantations is in my opinion his masterpiece and undoubtedly best album, followed by Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Tubular Bells. Crises, QE2, Five Miles Out and Discovery are also great albums.
Excuse me for saying so, but I just cannot understand how anyone can even compare TB2 to the hauntingly beautiful and breathtakingly intense Incantations. To me, this is like comparing McCartneys new records to what he put out in the Sixties.
And I hate those synth pads!

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Q! Offline

Posted: June 20 2003, 18:38

Imo tb2 is not as good as the great five, but it comes pretty close. Yes, a little too many synths, no doubt about that. I will never agree to the 'lack of emotions' argument though, that's simply not true. :)

I was listening to some of the tracks from 'the early stages of tb2' recently and damn, do they sound great. The sentinel is almost spooky, I wish the final tb2 was more like that.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 06:45

Hmm.

We have the usual "best ever" - which means at least one of us likes it more than the rest of Mike's output.

"The great 5"? - I can't imagine which they are supposed to be  - except someone's top 5 list - which will of course differ for most of us.

I liked TB2, but it is about number 14 on my list at the moment.  I felt it was better balanced between parts 1 and 2 than TB, but found myself comparing all the time rather than just listening.  Tried a few times and it happens each time - bah humbug  :(
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 09:57

Well, TB2 is my fav. Ommadawn, Music of the spheres, TSODE and TB1 are close for the second place.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 02:01

I bought it up as quickly as I could in 1992. It was the first time I'd encountered a "sequel" album in rock music of this type. I was happy cuz the album was new material, but based around the same basic "outline". It marked the end of a long boring time that started after Crises. I was very happy with TB2. It's in the top 6 MO albums for me.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 09:18

A little harsh there Scatterplot.Amorok???Hmmm that's only one though......ok you may be right!Seriously though i would largely agree that TBII did mark a return to form of sorts.Although i do feel it has dated a bit over the years but nowhere near as badly as things like Earth Moving.A good album and the beginning of a renaiscance but i prefer TSODE form the period.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 09:19

And i wish that jusat once i could bloody well spell Amarok correctly! :/

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
bonkers Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 19:50

Quote (SentinelGard @ June 13 2003, 23:12)
I beleave that TB2 is the best MO album to date followed by Songs of a distant Earth. What do you think?

mike you Rock.....................

Yeah your right m8 ommadawn and amarok come a close 2nd but neither of them seemed to blend together like TBII.. Like you say.. its the best MO album ever :)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 06:05

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 17 2008, 02:01)
I bought it up as quickly as I could in 1992. It was the first time I'd encountered a "sequel" album in rock music of this type. I was happy cuz the album was new material, but based around the same basic "outline". It marked the end of a long boring time that started after Crises. I was very happy with TB2. It's in the top 6 MO albums for me.

I liked Discovery a lot myself, I think it was one of the more consistent early-mid 80's albums.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 23:10

I'm nuts about Discovery too. One of my most played favs...

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 15 2008, 21:19

Personally, it's my favourite. In classical terms it's the most sophisticated, too, in the attention given to leitmotifs, transformation of themes, etc. Mike's no doubt intense familiarity with every note of the original TB, and the great musical experience had had acquired in the meantime, clearly enabled him to see vast possibilities in the material, and to take advantage of it with some very skillful writing - without losing and, indeed, surpassing the emotional intensity of the original. It's a wonderfully joyous composition, too,whereas the first TB was impressive more because of its sinister feeling, its speaking of shadows.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 05:49

I've heard people mention that, nightspore, and yet, even though it was selected for the backing of a horror film, I've never yet been able to see the "darkness" in TB. To me, it smacks more of "Teenage intensity" - not that I am belittling the output by restricting it to an agegroup, far from it. I think we can all have that teenage intensity inside sometimes, and I think TB does a damn good job of describing what that's all about.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 03 2008, 06:00

I don't think TBII is Mikes best personally though it is fab. One strange observation I would have on it is comparing it with the original TB. I think the original is better than TBII but even though I've heard the original more often the sounds from TBII tend to "whirl around in my head" more than the original. For instance thinking of the start of both pieces if I start imagining the start of the original TB in my head it will often morph itself into thinking of TBII instead. Weird!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 20:34

Quote (arron11196 @ July 03 2008, 05:49)
I've heard people mention that, nightspore, and yet, even though it was selected for the backing of a horror film, I've never yet been able to see the "darkness" in TB. To me, it smacks more of "Teenage intensity" - not that I am belittling the output by restricting it to an agegroup, far from it. I think we can all have that teenage intensity inside sometimes, and I think TB does a damn good job of describing what that's all about.

Arron, low notes tend to be used in music when something ominous or large (and I suppose large things tend to be more ominous!;) is wanted. Eg, in Wagner's Siegried low tuba sounds are used to represent the dragon. So that loud, low, insistent bassline towards the end of TB seems to say "there's something big and insistent in the background - watch out!".
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 03 2008, 23:13

The whole album, I think, sort of defines its own semantics right from the start, as that piano+organ+glockenspiel riff arrives like a transmission from Alpha Centauri. Tubular Bells is one of Mike's most ambiguous albums ever, I think, and that's part of why I like it so much.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 04 2008, 01:45

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 03 2008, 23:13)
The whole album, I think, sort of defines its own semantics right from the start, as that piano+organ+glockenspiel riff arrives like a transmission from Alpha Centauri. Tubular Bells is one of Mike's most ambiguous albums ever, I think, and that's part of why I like it so much.

I guess that's true of TB as originally conceived, Sir M. Of course, now that we have TB 2003, all those various unnamed segments now have definite titles (eg, "Peace"). So it's not as ambiguous as it once was.
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 13 2003, 23:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net