Pages: (45) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Net 2011, The Album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 01:22

Quote (milamber @ Jan. 18 2011, 18:29)
I expect my time may be limited.

We'll worry only if this coincides with your 2000th post :) ... then to rise like your Phoenix above cigar-ash.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 05:27

Someone mentioned earlier how we come from all corners of the globe.

For a tittle for the album based on this and having a Tubular presence.

Songs from the Tubular Universe. Or something like that.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 06:14

Quote (milamber @ Jan. 19 2011, 05:27)
Someone mentioned earlier how we come from all corners of the globe.

For a tittle for the album based on this and having a Tubular presence.

Songs from the Tubular Universe. Or something like that.

The pedant in me hates the idea of calling purely instrumental pieces "songs". Classically, the most accurate description of them would be "fantasias", meaning free-form compositions. The word "fantasia", though, is obviously good, suggesting as it does "fantasy". "Tubular universe" is, poetically, a double dactyl (a stressed syllable followed by two unstressed) and tends to sound artificial in English, which is iambic (unstressed syllables alternating with stressed). Perhaps Fantasias from the Tubular World might work, although I still prefer Knights of the Bell or Knights and Ladies of the Tubular Bell, the latter emphasizing the female contribution.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 06:30

I dare anybody to try and say that in One breath :laugh:  :laugh:
Point taken though :D
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 06:44

Thanks for your PM Milamber.
Would love to add a track to the album once I've worked out how to upload and get some spare time away from work.
Some great input and ideas guys!   :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 07:09

Quote (milamber @ Jan. 19 2011, 06:30)
I dare anybody to try and say that in One breath :laugh:  :laugh:
Point taken though :D

Well, if Rick Wakeman can get away with Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table... :cool:

"Fantasia" is pronounced fanta-seer, incidentally, and Bach was just one who wrote pieces called "fantasia and fugue".

For a minute there I thought you said "paint taken"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 07:55

Other ideas: "fantasia" is often translated as simply "fantasy", so you could have "Fantasies of the Tubular World". Or you could call the whole thing "Hands Across the Mountains", and bring in the tubular bell symbol by making the design have a hand with two fingers corresponding to the endpoints of the bell (with the shape superimposed in a way which would probably be non-weeties-choking child's play to bee :) )
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 11:36

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 19 2011, 07:55)
and bring in the tubular bell symbol by making the design have a hand with two fingers corresponding to the endpoints of the bell (with the shape superimposed

...contortion now? oooer :O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

btw Glad to hear Wiga's here  :)

The title......

if not 'through the net', how about 'behind the net'

Netular Tubes

Tubular Sphere

Mundi Tubulare

Bells and Whistles

Sound as a Bell

Tubular Orbs

Link

Ok,ok, I'll be quiet..

It's also a kind of journey too, each on a path, coming together for this then off we go again on our paths...seems to be what most of life is about actually
:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 14:43

:/  Maybe " Tubular Spirit " ?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 15:30

Or how about - Tubular Net 2011 - The Album.

Plain and simple - tell it as it is. Anybody hitting the first page has an idea what it is. :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 15:44

Hi,

I threw something together tonight that I think might fit well on the compilation and shoved it on SoundCloud.

Before you listen... IT ISN'T FINISHED YET!

I plan to add more rhythmic percussion and possibly make a couple of bits longer or shorter, and everything will change when I come to mix it... but please let me know if you think this would fit...

The link is: http://soundcloud.com/purplerhapsody/reflections-work-in-progress

Please feel free to tell me that you don't think it'll fit the compilation if that is your honest opinion!

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 15:47

Now thats producing Wiga :laugh:

(Getting a real Deja Vu feeling  :laugh: ).

I did have that thought.
If worst comes to worst we will take say 5 names and open a poll.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 16:01

This will definitely fit Terry and sounds fantastic ,Cant wait for the finished product.  :cool:

Last night I scrapped the plan for Argiers and tried a new approach this is a rough take and a bit outa time but....

Argiers Drum Remix Take 1
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 16:47

Quote (milamber @ Jan. 19 2011, 21:01)
This will definitely fit Terry and sounds fantastic ,Cant wait for the finished product.  :cool:

Last night I scrapped the plan for Argiers and tried a new approach this is a rough take and a bit outa time but....

Argiers Drum Remix Take 1

Thanks for the positive comment. :)

Re: Argiers with the drums... what's the copyright situation on drumming over the original? Or are you planning to record your own version of the other instruments too?

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 18:15

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 19 2011, 15:30)
Or how about - Tubular Net 2011 - The Album.

Plain and simple - tell it as it is. Anybody hitting the first page has an idea what it is. :)

It sounds too much like "Abba - the album". And using the most emphatic part of a phrase (the ending of it) to tell the recipient that s/he is contemplating an "album" is anticlimactic.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 18:44

Well, it's not only ABBA - lots of people have used "The Album" as an album title, and none of them looks anticlimactic in any way to me. However, I agree with Wiga that we should not rack up our brains in any way about this, and come up with something very, very simple.

@ Ginger Daddy: of course you are a pro who does actually publish his music, but as far as I know there are absolutely no copyright issues involved in this. We are doing it in a completely illegal form. :D I mean, I did two remixes with the U-Myx software (a remix of "Quicksilver" and a drumless mix of "Angélique" for Milamber to drum on); the software itself was included on the official release of Light + Shade, so I guess that it (the software) was fully authorized by Mike and/or by his record company; consequently, everything that's done through U-Myx doesn't have to be burdened by any copyright issues at all, as long as we don't make money out of our work. I guess the same thing is valid for all of the remixes that are going to be featured on the members' album.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 20:13

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Jan. 19 2011, 20:44)
Hi,

I threw something together tonight that I think might fit well on the compilation and shoved it on SoundCloud.

I plan to add more rhythmic percussion and possibly make a couple of bits longer or shorter, and everything will change when I come to mix it... but please let me know if you think this would fit...

Please feel free to tell me that you don't think it'll fit the compilation if that is your honest opinion!

Cheers,
Terry.

I have no idea if this would "fit" 'cos i haven't heard anybody elses contribution yet.

But, as feed back for the unfinished track...

Nice themes, actually better than nice, pretty well balanced i.e. intro, section, breather, section, noodly bit, section, finale.

The intro organ needs more depth - think Rick Wakeman on Awaken. The middle break (around 3mins) - just seems to noodle away losing a bit of direction from the rest of the track. Plus this section is very muddy production on that soundcloud version, no doubt to be cleaned up in final version.

Hmm.. if this is going to be an "Oldfield" influenced track i guess I'm looking for more of "a journey" 'cos that's what most of his albums mean to me. No matter which style he was in, no matter how disparate the themes on the albums, he always managed to meld them into an emotional journey for me.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 20:22

Quote (EeToN @ Jan. 18 2011, 02:41)
Quote (bee @ Jan. 14 2011, 20:07)
I have just remembered who my nominee is!
EeToN

Thanks, bee! :)
Then I think A Floating Rose would be my contribution. You can still find it in its original topic. :)

This is another fantastic tune - and I have a few others of EeToN's in my fan music vault from over the years.

Floating Rose as-is uses a very medieaval sound pallette, no doubt influenced by another "Rose" track from Tres Lunas.

I wonder if you've thought of changing just the sound pallette - the first theme changing from plinky-plop to deep bass - the strings theme changed to a dirty guitar? Taking the 90's sound back to the "thunderstorm" years?

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 20:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 17 2011, 19:31)
Milamber, Austin is track one (the one at the top) from Of How a World Is Built, an album that I have posted here last year. It's under 11 minutes long, so if that length is fine, that shall be my contribution. Otherwise, I'm sending in A Landscape in Red from Highways as well, which is half as long. I'm sending them as 24-bit FLAC files, which, as has been explained, has the exact same quality as a WAV file, but is a lot smaller. If you can't read that format, I'll send them as 320kbps MP3's as well. :)

I'm curious to see the other contributions, folks. Send them in! ;)

Hey Sir M, as I'm on a Simon Cowell-like critique, I couldn't leave you out!

How you've managed to put together all those tracks and still
keep up with the Backyardigans I will never know ;)

But Austin is a stand-out track and I would certainly vote for it's inclusion if this was a voting kind of thread.

Perhaps a bit of judicious editing (make it a bit shorter) would tighten it up. And as with my previous 2 posts, the sound pallette is limited and a bit "weedy/thin".

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 20:42

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Jan. 19 2011, 15:44)
Hi,

Cheers,
Terry.

I really enjoyed this - there seem to be little echoes of "Top of the Morning" in the piano part, so the Mike aspect comes through loud and clear. There are only two aspects that didn't work for me: the lute-sounding cadenza in the middle, which sounds as though it belongs to some other piece, and the title. "Reflections" has been used quite often - why not call it by your nickname, "Purple Rhapsody"? That would tie in well with the colour reference of Sir M's piece too.
Profile PM 
899 replies since Jan. 11 2011, 21:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (45) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net