Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Monuments< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularUSA Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 07 2000, 14:25

Does anyone know of a way to build a small scale model of the Tubular Bells, or is there a place to buy it? It would be nice to have a quality statue sitting around to display. I'm talking about the representation of Tubular Bells featured on the cover of the album.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 16 2000, 21:41

Interesting idea...

From what I read in an interview with Tom Newman (one on this site, I think), Trevor Key made the original just by bending a large piece of metal tubing. I'd imagine that with a bit of skill, you could make one out of central heating pipe (copper would be relatively easy to bend, although you'd have to spray it silver afterwards). Whether you'd end up with a high quality statue or ot depends on how good you are at that sort of thing... I don't think there's anyone selling them, although you could no doubt commission someone to make one for you (how easy it would be to find an artist skilled in working with metal tubing is another matter...). If you want a really small version, you can always use paperclips (something I've occasionally done when I've had 5 minutes and nothing better to do...).
Alternatively...the interview also said that the original Tubular Bells thingy was stolen from Trevor Key's studio...if you can find that, then there's no need to make a replica ;-)
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 04:19

I would prefear a huge monument !
Just imagine a wonderful silver or chrome TB in Trocadero Garden (Paris), 30 or 40 Meters High ! Arrrrrg ! Just dreaming ! ;-)
Or in Barcelona, in Park Guell !

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: April 27 2000, 09:28

Are you sure that the bell symbol on the original TB is really a piece of metal tubing? It looks more like a drawing to me.
Profile PM 
Sebastian Offline

Posted: April 28 2000, 20:41

Nope, Korgscrew is right, the bell on the TB cover is really a bended metal tube, quite a big one, too.
I know it, because I stole it from Trevor Key .. LOL, just kidding! wink

The bell on TB2 is just a computer generated image and for TB3 a new real model was made.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 30 2000, 17:58

If we're talking about stealing them, the TB3 one would be the most valuable...I think I read somewhere that's it's made of silver...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 03 2000, 13:39

No, Kgsc....that's not silver. A London studio called Model Solutions (which mainly makes miniature models for films) made that...I don't think they were wasting precious silver for such a thing (It may be silver-plated, though). It looks as it's just a chromed iron tube...I didn't read anywhere it's silver, but I read it's just 12x12 centimeters big. Not a great deal for a Tubular Bell !! smile

P.S. Pardon me for writing your username so often as "Kgsc". I'm very lazy and in many cases I just can't get my fingers to type out "Korgscrew". smile

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 05-03-2000).]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 06 2000, 21:32

Yeah, silver plate probably...I just remember silve being mentioned somewhere. It seems like I always disagree with you Ugo, but the colour doesn't look quite right to me to be chrome (not that I'm a massive metal freak or anything)...
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2000, 12:53

Back to the main question at hand - Is there anyone who has the capabilities of creating an exact replica of Mike's Tubular Bells that could be used a nice display-desk model?
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2000, 19:26

I'll try and send you a photo of one I made using really cheap recycled paper, pva glue, tissues and silver enamel paint. The edges are a bit wrinkled so you might not be looking for this kind of thing but it's definately the cheapest way of doing it and you can do it as many times as you want. The spray paint cost me about $5

I thought the bells on the TB2+3 covers were both computer generated. Notice how straight they are, but on the original TB cover there is a slight bend in the top side and the right section under the left section is a bit twisted slightly out

Does anybody know where the TB cover was taken? It could have been anywhere really, but I'm wondering if any of you might have something from any interviews about it
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2000, 10:17

TB1 & 3 used real models, but I'm not sure about TB2. I haven't bought TB2 yet but I've looked at the cover and it seems like just a drawing or computer-generated model.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2001, 20:28

A Tubular Monument in Barrack Square, Perth. Right next to the brand new belltower. Keep the WA Government spending money on these rather than the health system. It's what it's good at.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2001, 20:56

Don't worry, folks, there WILL be Tubular Monuments - but you'll be dead by then...
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2001, 21:27

Why...Will the creation of them involve destroying the Earth? wink
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 07:34

What will happen is that all Mike Oldfield fans will be so happy about this that they will think that they can do anything, and die in numerous ways similar to lemmings, and those that survive will die in a small isolated camp on Hergest Ridge.

-Tim-

(This would have been posted earlier but I got cut off and then had to go out)
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 08:30

I write for a jewelry industry magazine, and reading this thread has made me wonder if there wouldn't be a (admittedly small) market for jewelry--lapel pins (men) or brooches (women)--looking like the Bell.

Whatcha think?
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 08:58

Didn't Ugo go on about having a small Bell piece of jewellery in Symptons of Mike Oldfield Fanatics in the General section?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2001, 15:33

Yes I talked about that...and a jeweller from a town in the mountains called Scanno made it for me! And I'm SOOOOOOOOOO happy about it!! smile smile

I also put detailed instructions, in that topic, on how to get a similar pin. But take 'em with a pinch of salt. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 07:25

In Craft and Design classes at high school I made a very crude representation of the twisted bell out of plastic (not hollow) as a key ring. It's not very good though, I'd buy a proper metal one if they were on sale commercially.

Sorry, I just wanted to contribute something.
Profile PM 
sunjammer Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 14:56

I think a keyring would be a great idea!!!! I may have to check with some of the local smiths......
Profile PM 
23 replies since April 07 2000, 14:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net