Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular don't, The bells have chimed out?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MO fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 18 2002, 17:40

THE BELL HAVE CHIMRD OUT?

As you are genuine fans of MO you will not like the next words very much, but I bet you have thought the same a few times. (Yes, you have!;)

I am not a great beliver in remixes, sequels etc,

The origional Tubular bells was great, a landmark in music, a new talent on the scene. Fantastic, Wonderfull,
(you get the picture).

Then there was TB2, then Orchestral TB, was this just money spinning?

Yes! No! Now here we go again 'TB 2003'

I for one think it is time that the bells have now chimed out for Tubular Bells. Send Pittdown man back where he belongs.

Its time to put the past behind us and Mike should move forwards instead of looking back.

What next a string of 'the best of' albums

Do you not think this is one Tubular bells too far?

Cheers MO fan

;)
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2002, 12:09

Nope. i love the bell albums.  and i believe that this new TB will be better than the original.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2002, 17:20

...Think about Mike's happiness regarding TB re-recording... :p

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 20 2002, 07:03

Tubular Bells 3, TB 2003 !, TB 2013?, TB 5000!!!!!

come on guys and girls, someone must agree with me that enough is enough!!!!!

You have all thought it, 'not another version of TB' yes, you have!.

I must be the only one brave enough to say it. so there  :p

Someone want to back me up.

Cheers MO fan :D
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2002, 13:40

No you're not the only one to think it in fact I would say in the global MO fan world you are in the majority rather than the minority with you thoughts on this ( and I agree with you ). Look elsewhere in the various TB forums to see various opinions and ongoing arguements.

You will find opinions polarise because a lot of newer probably younger fans have discovered MO because of hearing TB2, TB3 or the MB album and so they will argue in favour of those albums and have a different take on Mike's 70's stuff, which is fair enough I suppose.

My prediction for the release of the new shiney and polished TB next year is that you will got a lot of newer fans thinking it infinately better than the original, probably for the the exact same reasons that I personaly predict disliking it though I do hope to be suprised.
Feelings will be frought in MO fandom next year. Thats what I think.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2002, 22:05

Well put Toby - I agree completely with you  :O
In terms of a series of TB albums I would agree that the bells have chimed out, but TB2003 is not really a next one in the series, it is a re-recording ot TB1 which is really something quite different. I will wait to hear it to see whether I still prefer the original or not. At one time I would have been horrified at the replicating of this Holy Grail, but my tastes have changed with age and I find my self not so narrow-minded now - anway, let's wait and see shall we? ;)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2002, 04:37

I don't really mind what he does with TB, if he wants to make another one or re-record the original that's fine with me. It's strange all the fuss that gets worked up over sequels: TB III, Millennium Bell and the original are completely different albums (same with TB II in a way) which just happen to share the same name. The new TB will be the most samey to the original out of all the TB recordings, even Orchestral.

I also discovered Mike with Tubular Bells, though this was II and III rather than the original (on the DVD). I'm not sure that the new one will be better than the original, but I'll just have to see. Oh, and TOBY, listening to an album convinced that you will hate it is really the wrong thing to do. We have seen with Mike that you cannot predict what an album will be like: after his two least popular albums (Earth Moving and Heaven's Open) came Amarok and TB II, some of his best. Just think that it will be like the original.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2002, 05:02

It's funny how people are always far more more willing to slate Mike for the concept than praise him for his music. Seems kinda wrong to me. He did three bell albums over 25 years. Now he's re-recording the original, something he's wanted to do since, well, the original. The orchestral reworking doesn't really count - that was more David Bedford's project that, had he not been involved, Mike certainly wouldn't have been convinced to participate in. I can understand fans such as yourselves getting frustrated, wanting completely new projects rather than TB 2003. But this *is* the last one, and there are 18 other albums to listen to. And it will be great. Oh, yes it will be great  :D

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2002, 13:53

I'm not really anticipating TB2003 completely negitively remember I did say 'I hope to be surprised' and I mean it. It will be interesting to see if Mike can balance out what he's bringing new to it against what he's obviously taking away, if you know what I mean?

I'm very nervous of this idea of using an orchestra to replace those great organ sounds for example ( if this idea is still going ahead ) I'm also nervous of the production its going to have, will it have the same bland reletively lifeless sound I think some of his recent productions have had, or will he do something interesting?

With regards TB2, TB3 the MB I would be quicker to praise him for the music if the music was great but for me it's just not. TB2 has SOME great moments although I'm not a fan of Trevor Horn's over quantized production. TB3 and the MB just don't hit the Oldfield spot for me at all.

And lastly I'm not being negative about Mike I've been a massive fan for years and years and I've loved a massive persentage of his output, albums like Ommadawn,TB and Amarok really do hit levels of genius only he can achieve, I would just like him to hit these levels again. I don't care what form it takes he could write an album of short 4 minuit instrumentals or even songs again for all I care as long as they had those Oldfield trademarks of strong playing, great themes and general all round originality he is known for. A lot of his recent output TB or not has been fairly thin on the ground in these areas. IMHO.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2002, 18:40

You have to bear in mind, however, that no artist can keep matching the levels of their greatest artistic success. I'm sure everyone would love another Amarok, or another Ommadawn. But Mike just might not have it in him anymore. Remember that his best work is better than just about anyone's. It's unfair to keep expecting him to better himself if he doesn't even intend to do that himself (although that seems to be the exact point behind the new TB). I agree that his post-TB3 work has been somewhat disappointing. But then look at his eighties albums - Discovery, Islands, Earth Moving. These albums aren't very good. Same with QE2 and Heaven's Open. Part of Mike's eccentric genius is that he isn't consistent. When he does produce great work, such as TSODE, such as TB2, it's always unfairly compared to Tubular Bells, at least by the media. I find it a shame that before and after every album, people are *always* saying thats it for Mike as far as they are concerned. Or they're worried, the record might not meet their expectations. So what? The world doesn't revolve around any one person. Mike is doing what he wants to do, and I for one am happy to go there with him. If it doesn't match Amarok then it just doesn't. Nothing else does, IMHO. People lose faith too quickly. Kinda like when people moan about Mike's recent work and call Voyager 'boring', and never ventured far enough into that album to find track 10, the equal of anything Mike has ever done. I say wait and see. I know it can be frustrating when we think that Mike genuinely is a genius and if only he could be like that more. But we're lucky that Mike is even still making music. It's hardly as if he owes us anything is it?

Sorry, I'm really not having a go at anyone. I am just stating my honest opinions.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2002, 05:16

I also find it funny that, as Man in the Rain said, people mock the concept of an album, rather than concentrating on the music. Just think, if Mike had released the concept of Amarok (just one song, really strange loud bits, 'instruments' that should have never have found their way onto any album) would you have supported it, considering that his work up to that point (all the 80s stuff) is what many fans consider rubbish?

I have noticed that people do lose faith to quickly in Mike. OK, so you don't like his last few albums. Well remember that some of his best work came after the same 80s period I mentioned. It is strange to hear people describing Mike as "A spent force, he has nothing left to offer" after a few albums that you personally don't like. (Have you read the Millennium Bell topics? They are so depressing)

--------------
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2002, 08:16

I do empathise with all your points and do largely agree. However as I've said before I really don't think in anyway that Mike has lost his nack of writing and performing great music indeed Guitars and the TL project contain some great melodies and strong ideas I just don't think his usual care has gone into how they've been, in the end, fully realised. To often a great tune has been rendered half finished or compramised in some way. Thats really my main critisism. TL for example could have easily been so much better with slightly more thought gone into developing some of those tunes, some of which I thought were really strong, Viper being a good example
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 13:49

He has released three bells albums in 25 years, yes (assuming we ignore The Millennium Bell...), but two of those have been within 6 years of each other, and now he's preparing to make that three in just over ten...I think it's the distribution of them over the years which is working against him.

But still, it's important to Mike that he has a perfect version of the album. He's rarely professed to care what anyone else thinks about what he's doing, and I don't think this is an exception...if he did care about what people thought, I'd think he might have noticed that people do rather tend to slate him for not being able to let go of the bells (but then, maybe not)...

I think that we should be amazed that he's done so many albums which we think are great, even if there are some turkeys amongst them. Some artists only manage to produce one great work in their entire lives, and either spend the rest of their careers churning out stuff which just about everyone considers absolute rubbish, or just disappear completely.

It's possible even for someone like Mike to run out of creative energy. It's not the talent that's lost, just the will and energy to fully realise it.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 16:25

Yup I agree. One of the things that actually draws me to Mike, as an artist, is that he is so prolific and eratic. I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel but no way could I be so passionate about him, I was 20 when Us his last proper studio album came out and as one cheeky music journalist recently put it  'the members of Coldplay had just hit puberty when PG last released a proper album'. So much as I admire someone like PG I give thanks to the fact that at least Mike churns them out good or bad. At least he's interesting if at time's a tad infuriating. ;)
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2002, 06:47

Does it really matter how many TB's there are. As it is just a name. Ive been listening to TB1 since it was released. I have gone through about 4 different copies of the original on vinyl and i have the Boxed Quad and Stereo versions on vinyl. I also have the cd version (original & boxed).
My point is , fundamentally weather it be the pressings or the quality of the vinyl but basically i have never had the same version of TB1 more than once. They are all different as i have heard instruments in one that i havent heard in another. I think its a good idea to re work TB. Mo did promise it back in 1983 for the 10th anniversary but never delivered. So i have been waiting for this since then.
Roll on May 2003 as i assume he will release it on the 30th anniversary.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
Mirko
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 05 2002, 18:20

Yes.It is true.Bells 2,3,millenium...it was all about money...BUT...when he was making TUBULAR BELLS,no one of us cared about him.Did somebody of us help him?When he goes to record labels that reject's him?NO,he was alone.And then he recorded his masterpiece,and EARTH should be grathephul because he shared with us his GENUINE music.HE managed to record tubular bells with no-money...And then he make his career.After 30 years,Mike OLdfield FINNALY can do something that he wanted 30 years back...but now with great experience,this time he CAN DO EVERYTHING THAT HE WANT,with NEW TEHNOLOGIES.I KNOW that he will not ruin original concept of TB,and he will not give us some dance-oriented shit.And I am very glad about that.Can you imagine how lonely Mike is?How can he get answer from somebody,when HE IS THE BEST?He can just continue to give us his music...we will talk about it,we will say that it is wonderphul,BUT NOBODY WILL ANSWER HIM WITH MUSIC...he is the only one.And he deserved to make his best career masterpiece,tubular bells!As musician,I am far away from Mike...but I play instrumental music,and  I know that I will meet Mike one day...I hope that I will play with him one day.Those who don't believe in my words....write it somewhere,and one day you shall see....my music you can check on www.outcast.bestmusicpages.com ... if you think that I am not talking serious...
Mike Oldfield fans will never forget Mike,I know that.Mike is gift from the gods,and it is very sad that many people don't know that....

Best regards
Mirko Shukovicc,Mike Oldfield fan from Yugoslavia
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2002, 03:49

Mirko, of course it won't be dance oriented. Have you heard the radio extract? Here is a link to the radio interview. Some of the new stuff is played, and it is very very much like the original.

I do agree that Mike does make the best music, and a LOT of the best music. My best of MO collection, with all the essential tracks, rare stuff and excerpts, is struggeling to fit onto 5 80 minute CDs. There are other artists that are just as amazing: Yes, Pink Floyd, Rick Wakeman, Harry Chapin, Steve Howe and Moby are the other main ones, but Mike has done more amazing stuff than all of the others. That is why I like his music.

--------------
Profile PM 
16 replies since Nov. 18 2002, 17:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net