Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Dogs, We go where the wind blOws ashore 4 sure< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 05:58

Thanks - that's great news about the new music. "Coincidentally" I'm listening to your "Quest" as I type this.

Betelgeuse of course is in Orion, not Canis Major, but they're very close in the sky.

I'll keep an eye out for rotating objects, including those attached to skateboards  :D  ;)  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 06:08

Listening to "Dawnbreaker" now - it's obviously superb. My usual question: how do I get a permanent copy of it and the other tracks?
Profile PM 
redheat Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 16:35

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 08 2020, 06:08)
Listening to "Dawnbreaker" now - it's obviously superb. My usual question: how do I get a permanent copy of it and the other tracks?

The files have just now been made downloadable. Enjoy :D

--------------
http://Eindhoven.space
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 18:05

Thank you, my red friend :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 18:13

Whoops, I see "Lost Pilots" isn't downloadable.

That "OK Boomer" phrase is amusing. I originally thought it was a reference to kangaroos and/or Disgraced Entertainer Rolf Harris ("Six White Boomers") but apparently not...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 19:57

I meant to mention I've watched your remastered "Child of the Dog Star" as well. Every time I look at it I see new things. Today, for example, I notice the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy words "Don't Panic" just before the image of the crashed spaceship and just before the yantra-like images start up. I like playing with words and I note that "Don't Panic" unscrambles to "Contain D P".  :laugh: It's clever, too, the way, you suggest backwards-in-time motion to the launch pad by having all those coloured rectangles move right to left.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 20:23

Finally, I enjoyed your video presentation of "The Source of Secrets". It's clever how you work the shape of the tubular bells sign into that of the spaceship, which looks as though it has crashed on to an asteroid.
Profile PM 
redheat Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 21:17

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 08 2020, 18:13)

Whoops, I see "Lost Pilots" isn't downloadable.

hmm strange, it is enabled on this end according to soundcloud, I'll toggle it off and on again see if that helps. If not, let me know and I'll dropbox it for you.

That "OK Boomer" phrase is amusing.

I've had it said to me so many times online when in reality I am but a GenX zoomer (lol) I have spent a lot of time online (surfing im surfing im hooked etc~) well lets just say, i think we have all seen the last of the good days on the internet as its now full of boomer taunting.

I originally thought it was a reference to kangaroos and/or Disgraced Entertainer Rolf Harris ("Six White Boomers") but apparently not...

Look them terms on Urban Dictionary- it could be enlightening, or frightening. Check it out lol

Finally, I enjoyed your video presentation of "The Source of Secrets". It's clever how you work the shape of the tubular bells sign into that of the spaceship, which looks as though it has crashed on to an asteroid.

which looks as though it has crashed on to an asteroid.

Thats my ship, its just parked there. xD

Quite true. It's asteroid Bennu, one that I have been doing some work on with observations and engaging with the current mission mapping it as we have a space craft orbiting around it called OsirisREX, a sample return mission. A site has been selected to land and retrieve a sample to return to earth. ITs an important asteroid as sometime approximately ~119 years from this exact point it is currently pulling the odds of 2017:1 of hitting earth, so thats why we are there testing the 'soil' (regolith).

I helped out the team developing the next generation of asteroid anchors for grappling with a hand-deployable anchor. Its all these things which inspire people to invent and develop new things, meanwhile the symbolic visualization of the bell embedded into the asteroid was essentially a call from the void: "i'm coming, better be ready" so thats whats happening. I hope it comes to a positive outcome.

A 500m diameter ball of rock would still do some damage (it wouldnt burn up enough in the atmosphere, so it'd possibly do a big explody thing like the one in Russia a few years ago but orders of magnitude worse), but it's also the ideal size for another asteroid redirect mission candidate.

119 years, not in our lifetimes, but certainly for whoever is around after us.

*Source: Columbia Science Initiative MicroGNeXT project 2016.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2020, 23:20

I've checked again, and "Lost Pilots" IS downloadable - once the piece is actually being played. All the others can be downloaded from the main menu. I'm glad I persevered with the download, too: "Lost Pilots" is a beautiful, soaring piece that reminds me a bit of "Maya Gold". Those pilots aren't lost - they're taking extended recreation leave!

That's impressive regarding Bennu. Actually I regularly follow space developments myself and have been reading about Bennu. Unfortunately, I have quite a bit of trouble recognizing people, even if I'm known them for years, let alone trying to tell asteroids apart.

Won't be around in 119 years? Maybe if we try hard we'll make immortality together :cool:

I've taken the liberty of doing a screen capture of the "Source of Secrets". Watching it again I notice you've added the "impossible triangle" to the rotating structure. Also, the concentric circles of cylinders remind me of one of the final images in "The Wind Chimes" video - and, to a lesser extent, the circles of spheres in "The Spectral Army" (which is fast becoming my all time favorite Mike Oldfield piece).

"Explody" reminds me of the sort of humor in Black Adder. It doesn't help that I always hear the child's chant in "Above the Clouds" as "I'm Bob, I think I'm Bob"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2020, 05:17

Quote (redheat @ Jan. 08 2020, 21:17)
119 years

Interesting that 911/119 keeps reappearing, isn't it. A In the A=1, B=2 code it stands for KI, of course.

According to Wikipedia:

119 is a Perrin number, preceded in the sequence by 51, 68, 90 (it is the sum of the first two mentioned).

119 is the sum of five consecutive primes (17 + 19 + 23 + 29 + 31).
119 is a highly cototient number.

119 is the order of the largest cyclic subgroups of the monster group.

119 is the smallest composite number that is 1 less than a factorial (120 is 5!;).

119 is a biprime, and the third in the {7.q} family.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2020, 06:12

I've listened to "Gravity Bell" for the second time. It's clever the way you combine motifs from Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge. A sort of Hergest Bells or Tubular Ridge. Or should that be Tubular Bridge?  :O  :D

Some quite poetic possibilities suggest themselves:

Songs of the Distant Millennium
Music of the Lunas
Earthshade

Dylan Thomas used to get poetic effects by permuting in this way: eg "Man in the Moon" and "West Wind" became "Man in the wind and west moon" in "And Death shall have no Dominion".
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2020, 07:57

Songs of the Distant Millennium would be a great title!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2020, 06:21

Re "Lost Pilots": the playable piece on the website is actually "Dawnbreaker part 1".  :)
Profile PM 
redheat Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2020, 18:30

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 14 2020, 06:21)
Re "Lost Pilots": the playable piece on the website is actually "Dawnbreaker part 1".  :)

aha
the confuse, my bad

the playlist/album is called Dawnbreaker and Dawnbreaker part 1 is 4 conjoined pieces each having their own subtitle:

The Spectral Ghost
Dawnbreaker Launch
Jupiter Descending
The Lake

Dawnbreaker Launch is the piece which accompanied this satellite (Object 2019-84H) upon launch but unfortunately it didnt work, so have to build another one, so the music didnt get to have a production made for it to go in.

bit more info here: https://eindhoven.space/2020/01/18/dawnbreaker-part-1/

Songs of the Distant Millenium

Nice.

--------------
Profile PM 
redheat Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2020, 18:51

re:
...the concentric circles of cylinders remind me of one of the final images in "The Wind Chimes" video - and, to a lesser extent

its putting a ring around the asteroid, both in a metaphorical and literal sense. they are all tubular bells which ring.

ding ding ding - asteroid!

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2020, 06:25

Quote (redheat @ Jan. 17 2020, 18:30)
the playlist/album is called Dawnbreaker and Dawnbreaker part 1 is 4 conjoined pieces each having their own subtitle:

The Spectral Ghost
Dawnbreaker Launch
Jupiter Descending
The Lake

Dawnbreaker Launch is the piece which accompanied this satellite (Object 2019-84H) upon launch but unfortunately it didnt work, so have to build another one, so the music didnt get to have a production made for it to go in.

Nice.

Ah, that's clear. I like the pink heart on Bennu. Perhaps it's a message to the larger and better known one on Pluto!

In my opinion "Dawnbreaker part 1" is one of your absolute finest pieces, a masterpiece in fact along with the earlier "Discovery". Both seem to speak not just of another world but of another universe - an ancient, wild, and terrible one of which I have often have flashes and to which I feel drawn.
Profile PM 
redheat Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2020, 18:02

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 18 2020, 06:25)
Quote (redheat @ Jan. 17 2020, 18:30)

The Spectral Ghost
Dawnbreaker Launch
Jupiter Descending
The Lake

Nice.

Ah, that's clear. I like the pink heart on Bennu. Perhaps it's a message to the larger and better known one on Pluto!

In my opinion "Dawnbreaker part 1" is one of your absolute finest pieces, a masterpiece in fact along with the earlier "Discovery". Both seem to speak not just of another world but of another universe - an ancient, wild, and terrible one of which I have often have flashes and to which I feel drawn.

i think if its a message intended for anyone its probably us, hehe

thanks, appreciated. gotta say- our universe is pretty terrible, so probably a good baseline (or bassline) for comparison.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2020, 20:24

Quote (redheat @ Jan. 18 2020, 18:02)
thanks, appreciated. gotta say- our universe is pretty terrible, so probably a good baseline (or bassline) for comparison.

The other universe is terrible in a way that's hard to put into words... Matter is continuous there, rather than discrete, and its colours touch the mind directly in indescribable ways. Its people are of the ocean and although they conquered space they are/were vicious - disgustingly vicious. A futuristic space-going people of another universe, billions of years ago: listening to "Telstar" sometimes provokes its feeling but only very indirectly. But that beautiful, transcendent melody of yours, starting at 2'30"  of "Discovery", was born of that universe and I break out in tears of homesickness every time I hear it.

Base or bass? That reminds me of another amusing conversation on this forum, years ago.

I've just looked at your bandcamp page. I see you have repackaged and resequenced a lot of your Red Reflections pieces, with "Interlude 1" and "Interlude 2" listed as new. Apart from these (and of course "Dawnbreaker" and the others you posted about on Tubular.net recently) the only other new work appears to be Ice Palace. Is this right?

BTW you should make "Fluffy Bunny" from Red Reflections 1 available. It's one of my favourites, although I unfortunately now associate it with one of the people at my archery club, who has the nickname "Fluffy".  ;)  :(  :laugh:
Profile PM 
redheat Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2020, 20:35

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 18 2020, 20:24)
Quote (redheat @ Jan. 18 2020, 18:02)

The other universe is terrible in a way that's hard to put into words... Matter is continuous there, rather than discrete, and its colours touch the mind directly in indescribable ways. Its people are of the ocean and although they conquered space they are/were vicious - disgustingly vicious. A futuristic space-going people of another universe, billions of years ago: listening to "Telstar" sometimes provokes its feeling but only very indirectly. But that beautiful, transcendent melody of yours, starting at 2'30"  of "Discovery", was born of that universe and I break out in tears of homesickness every time I hear it.

Base or bass? That reminds me of another amusing conversation on this forum, years ago.

I've just looked at your bandcamp page. I see you have repackaged and resequenced a lot of your Red Reflections pieces, with "Interlude 1" and "Interlude 2" listed as new. Apart from these (and of course "Dawnbreaker" and the others you posted about on Tubular.net recently) the only other new work appears to be Ice Palace. Is this right?

BTW you should make "Fluffy Bunny" from Red Reflections 1 available. It's one of my favourites, although I unfortunately now associate it with one of the people at my archery club, who has the nickname "Fluffy".  ;)  :(  :laugh:

I am touched by your feedback, really. It has been many many years since there was anything like that in the open so thank you for that. Discovery was made quite a long time ago when I still had my fingers intact - bit of a sore point nowadays, literally :D

The releases are/were a mess after i lost my web hosting with several gigs on it,  so putting them up everywhere else meant a bit of experimentation and repackaging, and investing in something that will last theoretically forever (hence commercially releasing under another alias, which was quite expensive).

I’ve updated my new website with all of the MP3 files I can find, and they are now reasonably organised- you are especially welcome to go and plunder! :D https://eindhoven.space/discography/singles/

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2020, 06:24

Wow and yikes - that's a lot of tracks, so I'll have to plunder methodically, starting from 1998. I see "Fluffy Bunny" dates from that year so perhaps other furry quarry await my trophy bag!  :D

I wonder what Volker of Project System 12 would make of "Fluffy Bunny" - he probably wouldn't understand the title, as it's well known Germans have no word for "fluffy"  :O

... bagged one with my first shot! "Corruption 2" has a great melody which will no doubt get stuck in my head.
Profile PM 
81 replies since Jan. 28 2019, 21:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net