Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells/Guilty Wembley 1979< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 27 2013, 08:34

A very pleasant surprise here.  The occasional broadcast of the Wembley Conference Centre concert over the years has inspired attempts to look out for the next one, and my vigil failed again.  6 Music's Classic Concert this time, from the 6th of July, and the 7 day iPlayer curse had been cast...

...and yet it survives!!!  The show is gone but one clip remains.  A highly generous 52 minute clip! :)  I saw it here on Mike's BBC page.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music....01cj6v6

I think this is part of the site that can be viewed from abroad - my usual regrets if this proves not to be the case.  The show's homepage does suggest that this bounty is with us for only 9 more days, which gives until August the 5th or so.  The two other clips (Manic Street Preaches and Todd Rundgren) have been around for several months though...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 18:28

great find!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 11:17

But now, a great loss :/

Until the next time then...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
artnash64 Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2015, 07:24

Does anyone know how to access a copy of the May 1979 Wembley Conference Centre concert as broadcast on BBC Radio 1 by Tommy Vance? I recall the programme approaching 2 hours in length as originally broadcast (possibly live in real time?), including a broadcast interval section of Mike being interviewed by TV. The gig track listing was as "Exposed". I also remember a couple of Whole World (Kevin Ayers) tracks being included in the interview section too. On the net I've seen reference to a 1 hour version introduced by Brian Matthews (who I recall was on BBC Radio 2 many years ago; never Radio 1 unless we are talking the late 60s). There's some some confusion there (in my mind at least). I think the 2013 6 Music version was about an hour long too. The 1979 Radio 1 broadcast of the gig (which I sadly only have a tape of some of) featured a very affecting audience participation moment during a section of Incantations - nothing like that found its way onto Exposed! Best wishes.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2015, 07:30

It was about 2 hours . Tommy talked to Mike about a range of things even about the recording of Sallangie with Mick Jagger .
The parts of the live Wembley show were I think used on the Airbourn album released in the USA . TB1 from that album was not the same as the one on Exposed .
Hope this helps .
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2015, 14:54

Yes, can confirm the above. I have a tape of it somewhere with full interview. Fantastic concert for any of the people that attended in 1979.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 16 2015, 15:04

This is how the page for the broadcast I originally linked to now looks...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03695j1

And this I think is the last time the Incantations segment was broadcast...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xbh5k

It was and remains an hour-long show format, and you will doubtless have to link to websites for other artists to find which material is missing from their recorded shows.  Some are concerts as arranged by the BBC.  Others, like Mike's, are just where BBC engineers turned up to record part of a tour.

Regarding Brian Matthew, I believe ( subject to the usual caveats! ) that his contributions date from the BBC's original distribution of the material via their Transcription Service, which has all the tracks of the concert for licensed purchasers to re-broadcast as they choose.  From the bits and pieces I have read about the recordings, I don't remember if it's confirmed that either Brian or Tommy Vance actually attended at Wembley.

Unless it's just a case of someone getting the two voices mixed up!  Rock on, Brian! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: June 10 2017, 00:27

Curses!  I go through phases of remembering to check ahead for the weekly Classic Concert and the daily Live Hour; and then come the phases where silly elections distract from the more important things in life! :p

It's been on again this morning, so a full 28-day iPlayer countdown applies this time.  My watch may fail, should it be another four years before Mike gets picked again, but I will endeavour to find evidence of it before the event!  The Incantations segment may come round again, fingers crossed.  I'd like them to dig up TBII at Edinburgh Castle, so may lobby them for that, but if there are other BBC-owned concerts to be considered - speak up! :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08t180x

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
7 replies since July 27 2013, 08:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net