Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells The Re recording released end of May< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 13:54

According to mikeoldfield.com, the new album will be called 'Tubular Bells The Re recording' and be released at the end of May.

30 years ago as a young musician of 19, I was given one week of studio time at The Manor House near Oxford. In this week I recorded the entire first half of the Album that was later to become Tubular Bells.

This Album went on to become the most successfull rock instumental Album of all time. To my ears however I was always aware of its imperfections. Notes out of tune, out of time, rushed playing, mistakes in performance, electonic noise etc etc... I always meant to re record it but for one reason or another I never got round to it... Until Now.

The re recording has been a great pleasure and it is so nice to hear my first piece of music realized to its full potential. The 5.1 mix is especially magical. I hope you will enjoy listening to the 30th anniversary re-recording of Tubular Bells as much as I have enjoyed making it.

Best wishes

Mike Oldfield

(Thanks, Tubular World)
Profile PM 
Mige Iranzo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 14:28

ßip ßip

:)

--------------
ßøîñG ßøøM T§¢Hãk
Profile PM WEB 
Fernandø
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 14:31

I wish Mike would also remake his website, each time I visit it, I think it's worse. :(
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 14:37

his words about it...

30 years ago as a young musician of 19, I was given one week of studio time at The Manor House near Oxford. In this week I recorded the entire first half of the Album that was later to become Tubular Bells.

This Album went on to become the most successfull rock instumental Album of all time. To my ears however I was always aware of it's imperfections. Notes out of tune, out of time, rushed playing, mistakes in performance, electonic noise etc etc... I always meant to re record it but for one reason or another I never got round to it... Untill Now.

The re recording has been a great pleasure and it is so nice to hear my first piece of music realised to it's full potential. The 5.1 mix is especially magical. I hope you will enjoy listening to the 30th anniversary re-recording of Tubular Bells as much as I have enjoyed making it.

Best wishes

Mike Oldfield Feb 2003  

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 14:47

'The 5.1 mix is especialy magical'. Hang on I thought you said you hated surrou..............? Sorry for being cynical I'm sure it's great. Maybe it's time for me to invest in that surround sound amp.

ps I hope that computer generated purply bell isn't the cover. We want the real thing.

pps I agree about the website. Do something imaginative Mike
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 16:31

going around mikeoldfield.com i've just checked that the web's slightly changed... on the left hand on the presentation pic is written 'pc game'... instead of 'tr3s lunas'
could it be that they are preparing room for tubular world vr?
now... 'tb the re recording' is done... three months until the release... the software of the game is done and we know there must be some ideas already worked...

can't stop wishing to know soon something more about tubular world vr...   :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
James
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 17:10

Hi to everyone!

Is it official that there will be a 3d vr thing to compliment the forthcoming Tubular bells?Namely Tubular World.Or is this a rumour?or wishful thinking??

It will be amazing to see Mikes visual portrayal of TB and I think it could be very special indeed and maybe very difficult.

Without being to contrary I do also believe TB will always work on its own also without the need for visual stimuli such is its sonic worth. :)  :)
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 21:32

It is official from what it sounds like. Mike said that he was working on Tubular World recently.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 22:02

I agree with what TOBY said, I'd rather have the original cover instead of a computer-generated Bell on the cover anyday.
Profile PM WEB 
the soil man Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 04:13

Congrats, Mike! I am glad that you finally laid your "unease" with Tubular Bells at rest . . . I am looking forward to the album immensely.

Fred
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 07:31

Feels like forever till may this year. Ant on top of that, the end of May :O  Waiting, waiting waiting. I am sure its good though :)

Tubular World excites me too. Hope its released at the same time as the album or shortly after.

Acording to the cover I really dont care. I really did like the mockup cover that was presented att tubularworld.com (i think it was there) that one was really nice. I think though it wuold be great to have a different cover than te one used thertie yeras ago. I rellya do prefer a new designed bell.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 07:49

Does somebdy know wich cover I mean? Oldfield_fan I gave this link to you a while ago. Do you remeber it, or does someone else know the link to that cover?

I think it was on a german website about Mike Oldfield

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 08:04

This one ??

Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
amarok2
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 08:41

I have the SACD version of TB1 which is a remastered version of the Quad mix , and it sounds brilliant. A 5.1 mix has got to be fantastic , to hear all the seperate instruments in there own speaker adds a depth and emotion not felt on 2 channel , so dont be a cloth eared nincomppop and give it a go
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 12:51

I really do like that blue-ish bell on Mike's website!!!!! :)  I hope that it is used on the new cover!!  I'm over the dated 70's cover - welcome to the new millennium everyone.  We can't go back only forward.  The cover at tubularworld is a good one if we are to rehash the cover too! ;)  

What I believe is that Mike kept making Tubular Bell albums trying to make up for the mistakes he saw in the first one.  

Now that he has realized the full patential of the original Tubular Bells... Mike would you please just shelve it for the rest of your career... PLEASE??????  

I know... we all know... that you've got even better music inside you and we will hear it before you retire from music!!!! :)  

To Mike:  Can you give us a few website snip-its of the re-recording - soon please we are all getting very anxious! ;)  

Thanks Mike!!! :)

Christopher
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 14:40

I totally agree with you, Christopher. Whenever I read a comment by you I´m glad to see there are people who think the same as I do.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 15:20

a_r_schulz : Thats the one I menat. Thank you for that link. I really like the number two of those. I think Mike should use this cover. Its very in time!

My opinion on a Tubular Bells 4 is that it is more than welcome, if it brings something new just like the third installment did and which I love and rate as one of Mikes best albums. I dont care if there comes a new Bell album in a cuople of years.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 18:06

I genuinely sincerely hope that isn't the cover that he's got on his web site, even as a computer generated image it isn't particularly exciting, compared to what can be done, and the colour's awful. The reason he should get the real thing made is that it's such a fantastic piece of sculpture, the original must of been inceredible to see and hold, I wonder who stole it from Trevor Key's studio? Some desperate fan?  It's far to easy to just put together some bland computer generated model, I don't think people would respond to it the same way they responded to the original cover it's such a classic, possibly one of the best album covers ever done. I think people over look the cover's importance when the success of TB is discussed. You can almost hear that opening theme when you look at it.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 21:51

Thanks Melomaniac! :)  

For me the ice-cold-blue-bell is one of the best.  Granted... wasn't the gold bell on the Tubular Bells 2 cover computer generated?  The ice cold bell could look a bit more realistic... if Mike's team could recreate the real bell with an ice cold blue tent... I would find that quite appealing!!! :)  

I do hope though that it won't just be another boring black background again!!!!  It is getting a bit old really.  You know... the best of TB & Tres Lunas.  

All I ask of Mike's art team is... make it something just as memorable as the music itself.  And don't make it a black background... PLEASE.  

There was an article from NME, whatever that is, that Rob Miles posted at Amarok... it states that Mike still only sells albums when he calls them Tubular Bells.  I really do agree with that now adays.  It's unfortunate really that the media will be so hard on him for wanting to put right his original masterpiece!!! :((  Then again they might surprise us and rave about the new sound... like all of us loyal fans!?!?! :)  Maybe and hopefully Mike will then shelve the opening arpeggio and the rest of the bell albums for the entirerty of his career.  It was 20 years before he produced another... and now it is coming every five years and with constant references on his most recent albums to the opening arpeggio.  This is the quickest way I know for a musician to totally loose his crediblity!  

BUT... We are all still behind you Mike!!!!! :)  

Christopher
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 23:13

All I ask of Mike's art team is... make it something just as memorable as the music itself.  And don't make it a black background... PLEASE.  

That'll do for me. Memorable in a good way, though. And much better than TBII (part of the reason I'd rather the original over a computer-generated cover, that the original looks much better than TBII's cover). Plus the fact that I prefer most 'real' things over computerised versions (e.g. real instruments over synth/computer/keyboard samples of instruments). I must say, though, those images Thomas Höögh mentioned and that a_r_schulz linked to are pretty nice.
Profile PM WEB 
95 replies since Feb. 10 2003, 13:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net