Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Prequel, Rumours, Titles and Guesswork< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 08 2014, 10:32

There's another flurry of activity over on the Facebook Oldfield Personal page.  Mike has asked for suggestions for a title for the "prequel" that was mooted a while back.  Suggestions range from the sublime to the ridiculous and there are 880+ replies.

I was wondering, more discursively, what you'd hope and expect to hear from such a project?  Mike did mention he'd been playing about with some Philip Glass-like keyboard patterns (which excites me as I'm a big PG fan).  But what else (other than demos) might a TB "prequel" consist of?
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2014, 16:08

...how about The Source for a title or Embryo or Dawn?

I guess the title will depend on whether there will be any references to Tubular Bells

Maybe the thing to consider is that it is retrospective in a way, i.e. he's doing it now.... but.... is it forming from old ideas, maturing ideas or some entirely new inspiration...only Mike knows this...and that will really have to determine the most appropriate title.

I'm hoping for a landscape of sound to explore, layers and layers of texture and guitars...and I like the idea of a bit of minimalist Glass...perhaps it will be transparent and pure, with a distinct clarity and Oldfield-sound signature...it's gonna be good...

(something a bit mad like Amarok would be very welcome...I love the sense of movement in that album but I think there's only ever going to be one of them!;)

It will be interesting to hear where he goes after Man on the Rocks....

I'm ready to listen  :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
AustrianMag Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2014, 18:49

Quote (Platinumpty @ Sep. 08 2014, 10:32)
There's another flurry of activity over on the Facebook Oldfield Personal page.  Mike has asked for suggestions for a title for the "prequel" that was mooted a while back.  Suggestions range from the sublime to the ridiculous and there are 880+ replies.

I was wondering, more discursively, what you'd hope and expect to hear from such a project?  Mike did mention he'd been playing about with some Philip Glass-like keyboard patterns (which excites me as I'm a big PG fan).  But what else (other than demos) might a TB "prequel" consist of?

Hello,
my post might not match exactly your post, but I have to say something, which really annoyed me.
Caroline Monk asked people on the Mike Oldfield Personal Facebook site, which of Mike's songs they would like to have with them, if they were stranded on a lonely island. I think the question was almost like that or similar.
I answered that I believe many old M.O. fans would not like songs, as they were with Mike when he started and that they loved him because he was unique and in my opinion he is not unique now when he creates an album like "Man on the Rock", which is similar to the pop songs, he composed, when he was with R. Branson. I also said that as a fan I must be allowed to say when I don't like something. I don't have to agree with everything or do I?
I  must apologize, I know that my statement was not really charming, but I did not mean to be nasty or so and I did not want to hurt someone either. I just wanted to be honest, that is all!
At the end of my statement I asked Caroline please not to influence Mike into the wrong direction, as I think her music taste is very commercial and I was afraid she might have told Mike that most people prefer his commercial songs, which would be a wrong information. There were lots of people saying they like Amarok or Ommadawn and for some reason I could not click like on many of them as there always came a message up that the owner has removed his post. I was surprised that so many people who had the same taste like me, removed their post at the same time and I had the suspicion that the administrator who maintains the page is responsible for that. But if so, then the whole question would be a fake when there are restrictions on the answer and unwanted answers are deleted! That would be manipulation of the results or am I wrong?
However, I actually find that Caroline does a great job! She is posting questions and makes people thinking about Mike's music and allow them to interact a little. I am sure she is a very good manager as she promotes him constantly! But I also think she makes a big error by
ignoring the fans who loved him for his instrumental music, because that fans are with him since decades and they don't deserve to be thrown out of the facebook group just because they say what they feel! I was thrown out because I don't want to be a sheep and pretend I like everything.
When I write my books (different genres) and someone says he would not like my crime stories as he does not like crime stories and he only likes my science fiction novels, I would not be offended!
I did not criticize Mike's compositions, how could I? I just said that I don't like the new album "Man on Rocks" as it is pop music. I love rock music!
I don't find it nice that I was removed from that group on Facebook! Whoever is responsible for that, did not understand what I was saying, but fans should not be treated like that!
If you throw me out now as well, because I am telling the truth, that is fine!
Profile PM 
windchimes Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2014, 04:48

I think Caroline Monk is a good manager and of course she wants to find a way to success. The answers to her question so far are so diverse they don´t help.

The prequel is the idea to go back to the roots of Mike´s compositions. I hope he has some new sounds, melodies and rhythms to create the next album regardless to success
- that might be the right way to success.
Profile PM 
AustrianMag Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2014, 06:12

No doubt Caroline is helping Mike by keeping people talking about him, she is a very good manager as I said. I know that there are many answers to her questions, but what I meant is, she should not ignore his "not commercial" fans, the ones who don't like pop music so much. If pop songs are Caroline's music taste, fine! That is her choice, but she should not throw people out, just because they have a different opinion! When you ask a question you should be fair enough to accept every answer, otherwise don't ask!!!
I actually think that Mike is not really a pop song composer, he is much more than that and he should not waste his talent for simple music, when he is able to create a symphony  :)
Maybe Mike's music taste has changed as well over the years, that is possible! I would say Mike should just be himself and he should compose the music which is inside of his heart and he should not ask people what they want. If he would ask me, I would say: "Please, please compose another Ommadawn or Tubular Bells! But a totally new one, not a number 1,2,3,4, and so on.....!!!!!! Someone who likes pop music better, would wish a pop song. So, please Mike just show us who you are today and don't ask us people!
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2014, 00:32

Quote (AustrianMag @ Nov. 22 2014, 18:49)
If you throw me out now as well, because I am telling the truth, that is fine!

No thought police on Tubular.net, my friend. I've made numerous scathing comments about MoTR and survived. :p
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2014, 20:13

Caroline has been doing a great job by keeping Mike in the loop despite everything(i.e, no MotR tour/TV promos,etc). Problem is when a few fans who are mostly into Mike's instrumental music start getting things the wrong way...seems that Mike reads/is aware of the page,so these comments may seem a bit OTT for his taste.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2014, 12:18

If Mike really wants to keep his music 'in the loop', then the best thing he could do to promote the album is by getting out there and touring.

Without a tour its going to be hard to get any new fans to buy his music and sales will remain limited to us dedicated fans.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2014, 18:38

The interesting thing for me is that I remember Mike saying in one of the news snippets that the Tubular Bells Prequel will have a variety of synth sounds using both 60s and 70s technology and even a "Crises like" sound.  This has got me wondering (and hoping) if Mike might bring back the Polymoog, Prophet, PPG Wave, Oberheim OB-Xa, Fairlight, ARP Solina, Roland 330 Vocoder, ARP 2600, Roland SH-2000, Gemini, Lowrey, Farfisa and Hammond?  Perhaps he might even buy some guitars like his former old ones like the Roland GR-300, SG, L6S, Strat and Tele?  Oh and a Glorfindel Box!

It will be really interesting to see how many of these old classics Mike brings back for "Tubular Bells 0" or if of course.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2014, 19:57

Several things...
Lots of percussion (something that died out or declined greatly in the early 1980s and since).
Acoustic guitar.
Some of those chamber instruments like violas as on hergest ridge.
Folk influences.
Something quirky.
Piano.
Those are pretty much the trademarks of his early work.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: May 15 2015, 19:36

I'd call it simply 'Before' and I'd like to listen to some folk tones in the mood of 'Hergest Ridge' and Sallyangie. Also a few rock riffs, contemplative slow passages and of course the piano/keyboard minimalistic patterns in the vein of Philip Glass are very welcome.

And I would add it would make it so exciting listening to some shaded and veiled references to great old melodies from 'Five Miles Out', 'Amarok', Incantations', etc. like early premonitions or notions of them... would that be nice??? ;)

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
10 replies since Sep. 08 2014, 10:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net