Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells performed by The Magnificent 7< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 06 2003, 21:45

The Australian band The Magnificent 7 performed the MC section of Tubular Bells on the local radio ABC in Sydney. They played in a country style with instruments such as pedal steel, baritone guitar, violin and accordion, plus.. "tubular cow bells". The Magnificent 7 have been voted the best Australian country and western band for 2 years. After the broadcast, the DJ asked "I wonder what Mike Oakenfel would think of that?" (Thanks, Jay Atkinson)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 06 2003, 21:46

... so Jay called the program manager to correct the mistake, but stopped listening to the station so we don't know if the DJ informed the audience of the real name of the composer.

If someone has a MP3 of it, it would be great...
Profile PM 
Mige Iranzo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 06:12

LOL

--------------
ßøîñG ßøøM T§¢Hãk
Profile PM WEB 
Jay
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 19:59

I am looking at getting a copy of the radio segment sent to me on CD by the station. It will take about 10 days so I'll let you know how I go.
Tubular Cobra2
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 01:46

ROFL!!!! Oakenfeld? Someone should Really Check zer Spelling!
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 14:01

That's good that people are still playing Mike's music in whatever style... keeping it fresh, new, and alive!  That shows that he is very respected in the music industry in spite of what has gone a miss for him (management, bad marketing, under paid, unwillingness to talk the press, etc...)  American's listen to his music all the time, but don't realize it... especially in the clubs!  

I would like to hear this version of MC-TB!  Also, if you haven't heard Aselin Debison's version of 'Moonlight Shadow' definetly check it out... it ROCKS!!!!!! :)  I live near Nashville... and am going to try to get this some air play.  Hopefully someone like the Dixie Chicks will pick this up and make a similar version to keep America filled the sounds of Mike Oldfield... whether it is him or someone else playing his music!! :)  I guess covers will have to do since Mike nor his record company will take a chance or make an effort here!!  

Hey Mike - you never know what will happen unless you 'TAKE A CHANCE'... hint hint! ;)  You might just be loosing out!?!

Christopher

PS I like MusicVR... but give it a rest and do your best instead... don't be an artist that argantly fades away from their unwillingness to put effort in to what they do (your music)!!  Elton John came back after five years with a fresh new album (Songs from the West Coast - not Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 2, 3, 4 or re-record... hint hint) that returned to his early days of pop.  He put in a good effort and it paid off for him.  Please don't be all about 'me' and forget that how much effort you put in will reflect back on you!  (STOP DOING TUBULAR BELL ALBUMS!!!;)  Put away your play toys (computers, sequencers) and pick up a 'REAL' instrument and then press 'record' at your studio!!!!! ;)  'YOU CAN' make a new name for yourself!!
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 17:16

Quote (christopher @ Jan. 08 2003, 14:01)
PS I like MusicVR... but give it a rest and do your best instead...

... Put away your play toys (computers, sequencers) and pick up a 'REAL' instrument and then press 'record' at your studio!!!!! ;)  'YOU CAN' make a new name for yourself!!

and if the best of him were not only the old music but also this new stuff he's just started working about? what i mean is that imho we can't compare what he did before with what he's been doing these recent years... if he developes tr3s lunas project or keeps working about similar ideas... later, in some years, we may be able to say if it's worse or better or simply... different. anyway i don't see a lineal path with a sudden change somewhere on it... he's tried lots of ways and what he's doing now is just another step.
i love his oldest albums but also love the fact that his music kept me always wondering what will be the next... anyway it's just me...
besides that i regard a writer of a films director (and also a musician) can't be asked to come back to somewhere on his/her career just because what an artist does in some way is the result of a life as it goes... and as it changes, art changes...

and about computers and so on... imho as all it can't be regarded in a flat way... i mean... someone who has never played or composed music and one good day find a 'nice program' to 'play' playing or composing music... ok, for me that hasn't got much artistical value but when a musician finds 'new instruments' (or whatever u call them)  then it is different cause they've got a technic acquired by hand playing REAL instruments which can be widened by machines,  the same for composing i can imagine...
things don't get stuck, technology goes its way and i think it's wise trying to incorporate it to what u know...

at last... why would he need a new name?

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2003, 01:32

[QUOTE] maria Posted on Jan. 08 2003, 17:16
why would he need a new name?

---------------------------------------------------------

Well... in America Mike has not really had a name... bluntly cause there really hasn't been a lot of effort put into this market (which is a funny market at that! ;))  

I agree, as a musician myself, computers and sequencers help do the impossible, but when they dominate your composing and instrumentation, as it has with Tres Lunas (typical throw away New age ramblings - but yet I like some of the tracks personally speaking) and TB3 (should not have been called TB in the first place) is imho simplistic computer ramblings with too much emphasis on computers and loops then on the music itself.  Hell... most of what he wrote for that album I could have done at home with my PC minus his brilliant guitar playing!  As a keyboardist myself I do a lot of piano and keyboards.  However, computers and sequenced loops do not dominate in my songs... they merely accompany as they should imho.  

A friend once said 'a computer is the death of a 'REAL' musician!'  I didn't used to see this, but now I see it clearly in Mike's over-computerized music.  God, Tres Lunas is no different than popping in half-a-million other new age albums - munis of course Mike's brilliant guitar playing!  

If you go back and take a look at something like Songs of Distant Earth, for example, it was a very simple album yet it was so well laid out that even though the melodies were repeated every other song... you wouldn't notice.  Same with Amarok and Tubular Bells 2.  Let's pick apart Tres Lunas for a moment in my example of too much computer and loops... four or more songs use the exact same bass line... and I mean exact same bass line... no variation!  In musical terms this would be called 'lazy.'  One song has three notes... hey my cat can do that.  Thou Art in Heaven is nice and repeating for five minutes and the title track is based on the opening riff of TB.  There is nothing original about this.  The Millennium Bell was good because he actually had 'REAL' instruments... however the idea's should have been more developed and not so rushed... imho.  Guitars is one of my favourite more recent albums... however he uses the same melody for two songs and slaps different names on them.  Another uses the same melody as Distant Earth's title track Let There Be Light.  Are we seeing a pattern here!?!  

Mike even said himself that he is not here to do his best anymore only to make himself happy.  Well, that's all well and good, and I want Mike to be happy, but if you don't put in a good effort you aren't going to be happy with what you get back!!!! ;)  Also, continually living off one idea isn't going to make you successful or happy!  Hince my comment about Goodbye Yellowbrick Road 2, 3, 4, and re-record.  Next thing you know we'll have Tubular Bells 2 re-recorded do to Trevor Horn's production... LOL :P  

Mike continues to be my favourite musician.  I just believe that he can do better if he puts in a good effort and stays away from Tubular Bells (forever! - after 2003) and puts away the simplicity of loops and computers!  Musicians, like the one's in this section, are prime examples of how much potential his music has, which he himself is not willing to explore anymore - Mike said it himself.  

Christopher
Profile PM 
Jay
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 09 2003, 06:14

Well, it's cost me $41 but I have been assured that a copy of the segment that I was listening to a few days ago, is on its way to me, incluing the outro. The guy getting the copy of the segment for me at the ABC is also a MO fan and was surprised at the mistake made by the DJ, he also listened to the next half hour of the broadcast and no correction was made.

I am not sure what the copywrite implications are of posting the track somewhere for everyone to have a listen to but I would think it breaks every rule..... any guidance?
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2003, 15:14

christopher, regarding tr3s lunas i would say that imho it’s not fair forgetting that it’s not only music what we’ve got there, i can understand your point of view, but his effort (i do think there’s a lot of effort in that project) is also in the images he has created for mvr, in this case both parts shouldn’t be considered separately… for instance, ‘the owl’s cavern flight’ (for me the most powerful piece of music in tr3s lunas) when i listen to it without being in mvr, the feeling is good but it’s not the same that when i'm flying with the owl… it’s something like he has divided his creative effort between music and images and again, imo it’s not very fair judging one of them avoiding the other… and for calling his attitude lazy… i wouldn’t dare that… it’s not the fact of how many notes he uses but the final result of them… he has shown he can create complex compositions and once more for me it’s not the same finding a new musician who works from the beginning with three notes and a computer than listening to someone who in one moment of his career has decided that what he wants to do or even, what he needs to do in that moment is working about more simpler schemes…

u spoke about the ‘new age ramblings’ , the ‘new age concept’ imho is not very clear… cause where is the frontier between those who have taken the chance to play round it trying to find a place in the market and those others who have been rounded by it? i’ll try to explain that… if someone dives among some called ‘new age compilations’ it’s possible to find names like capercaillie, or philip glass, or loreena mckennit or alasdair fraser or mike oldfield himself (with an excerpt of amarok) and i’m talking about an old compilation, which could be catalogued as new age, called in spanish ‘música sin fronteras lll’ which in english could be something like ‘music without frontiers lll’ and i ask myself… amarok new age? well, it’s the same for me… i don’t care much about the name they give to it… regarding music, names go in a second place…  after listening and reading about this ‘gender’ my attitude and what i think is that i’m not going to judge  it as a whole unity since it seems to me that the name for this gender has not only to do with music as far as i know… and i can’t honestly judge all the musicians melt in this concept… there are some music catalogued as new age which is nothing more but flat sounds but there are also prestigious musicians who have been put in that bag… i prefer listening to the music and later i can tell, ok, this is music that says something to me or that is music which doesn’t…

about computers… i think, the same as u as i can understand, the good is in the balance… listening to his music i can feel he has always be keen on the idea of trying new things, (i remember from the first albums, long time ago, going crazy trying to decode what instruments he used… just one example… crises… 1983 and u can read on the cover…. fairlight cmi, or oberheim obxa, and so on…) it’s something like he has always been able to balance this kind of instruments with his guitars… and as u mentioned we’ve got masterpieces like tsode or amarok (for me among the five of his best albums)
it’s not something new he uses computers, what i think is that maybe in tr3s lunas is more evident because since there are images, the whole project could be something thought for being enjoyed around mvr, in a computer, even the music in the ‘music disc’. that’s why i said that maybe in some years time we will be able to compare in some way this new stuff with what he’s done before… let him investigate… i feel something like (whenever he wants, of course) he can mix all his heritage, long compositions, winks to classical music, winks to folk music… with what he has been discovering these recent years around computers… maybe now that he’s re-recording tb, he could feel this heritage close and with the new work he’s doing with machines we could have something new in the way of amarok or tsode, with technique and real strings perfectly balanced, and long enough to allow the  music develope in the best way and besides that, with landscapes... who knows? he has always been one of those musicians who are able to paint with music and now he's got the tools to do it...

oh... sorry for the lenght of this... hope u are not  :zzz: at this point...
:)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Jay
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 10 2003, 01:56

It would seem that this topic has been officially hijacked - thank you for flying Oldfield Air.  :/
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2003, 06:44

sorry for that... i didn’t want to bother anyone… it was far from my intention being a highjacker… i just read and felt the need of speaking… that’s all.
if someone feel these messages have to be cut from here and put somewhere else, that's ok for me.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2003, 10:53

Thank you for flying Oldfield Air... please put your tray tables in the upright position and restow all your Oldfield CD's back under the seat infront of you or in the overhead bins. LOL :-P

Hey Maria... maybe we should take this somewhere else... it has gotten a bit off topic... my fault really.  Please feel free to email me privately. :)  

Last thing... what I found lazy was re-using a single bass line and same notation turned upside down for more than half of the album.  And yes... my favourite too is the Owl-Cave bit.  When I spoke of Tres Lunas I was refering only to Tres Lunas - the album... not the game itself.  The game itself... is beautifully done and very imaginative!  I just hope that this return to the first Tubular Bells will put Mike on, what I would call, the path to his roots!  And maybe we will hear more instruments and less computer in the albums to come - crossing my fingers ;)

Christopher

PS Thank you Jay for getting this for everyone... it is greatly appreciated I assure you!!!!!! :)
Profile PM 
Melomaniac
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 12 2003, 10:41

I totally agree with Christopher in everything. I only hope the reason why Mike keeps on repeating bass lines, melodies and the whole album TB is his "laziness" and not the fact that he has run out of ideas for the last ten years, which is a more believable reason. Anyway, he is still the best musician on the earth.

Ps: María, I´m not very sure but I remember having seen the spanish new age  compilation " Música sin fronteras III" and Amarok was used as the name of a group ( a japanesse group possibly named after Mike´s album) which has got a song in this cd. Maybe I´m mistaken because I didn´t buy the cd and it has been a long time since I saw it.

Saludos.
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2003, 14:17

jay, it would have been great to listen to the dj correcting his spelling... it will be also listening to his mistake... i think that what could have happened is that he got a mess in his head and melt mike oldfileld and paul oakenfeld, if i'm not wrong he's a dj... i listened to a piece of music of him could be in one of the café del mar compilations... maybe elsewhere...

ps. melomaniac, it's for sure it was an amarok's excerpt, a friend of mine lent me a recording of it during a while time ago...  if my memory works, it was the four... five first minutes of it.
saludos  ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Pid
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 13 2003, 10:52

Lick my sack bitches
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2003, 16:59

I wonder... is 'Pid' Mike... probably not.  But, I would probably be pissed off too if I were Mike reading all this!  Hopefully not though.  I would think Mike would think about what we say instead of just reacting in anger.  Who knows.  Olivier any idea's who 'Pid' is???  

Christopher
Profile PM 
wayfarer
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 14 2003, 13:47

Quote (christopher @ Jan. 08 2003, 14:01)
That's good that people are still playing Mike's music in whatever style... keeping it fresh, new, and alive!  

I would like to hear this version of MC-TB!  Also, if you haven't heard Aselin Debison's version of 'Moonlight Shadow' definetly check it out... it ROCKS!!!!!! :)

Well... you should then listen to Amadian's celtic version... It'll be soon available at www.amadian.com ;-)

We've even played a cover of 'The Caveman Song' Ghraaaaaaaaagh!!!

-- Wayfarer
Jay
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 15 2003, 16:57

I have not forgotten you all, I am still waiting on the CD to arrive by mail.....
oblique Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2003, 21:58

Don't worry, Jay.
We're not going anywhere...

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
28 replies since Jan. 06 2003, 21:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net