Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells performances in London in Augus 2021< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 29 2021, 07:30

Tubular Bells - Live in Concert will be performed live at the Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall in London from August 7th to August 15th.

Mike's long-time collaborator Robin A. Smith will direct a live group and artistic director Yaron Lifschitz will lead the Circa Contemporary Circus on a scene designed by William Reynolds.

Buy tickets
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 31 2021, 05:18

As someone who was lucky enough to see several live performances of the entire Tubular Bells by a six piece band in recent years; I cannot stress enough that you should take every single opportunity you get to see this while you can.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2021, 09:46

I've seen Mike play this 4 times and each time was magical and different. I've seen it played by the tubular bells for 2 guys and although it was good ,you can't beat Mike being there and playing.
If Mike was just  to play a small section like the orchestral tubular bells version then I'd be first to buy a ticket, but I can't be enthusiastic about this unless Mike's there.
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2021, 14:38

No one can beat Mike.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2021, 02:24

Your correct, no one can beat Mike. I wonder what other celebrations are planned for the 50th anniversary?

Good to hear from you too Olivier.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2021, 07:19

Yeah I was fortunate enough to see Mike's band play it too. A very long time ago, these people are playing it now!

Have seen 'Tubular Bells for Two' a couple of times at least too. That's ok but not the same as a proper band playing it.

Seriously it's not a matter of beating Mike. Other people who appreciate his music can recite Tubular Bells and invoke the same rich feelings. I have seen it for myself.

Damn I hope this show goes to .au one day.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2021, 09:57

Sounds very nice. Mike's involvement would be wonderful.
Even when he's not playing, it'll still be interesting. I've seen 'Tubular Bells for 2' two times and in 2019 went to see the Spanish band Tubular Tribute (with Barry Palmer) in The Netherlands. Great!
Good that Mike's music is still being played!  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2021, 07:20

I wish I could have seen that Spanish band!
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2021, 09:28

Yes, that would be nice. I believe that they toured quite a lot, before the pandemic. So hopefully you'll be able to see them in due time!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2021, 21:25

Speaking of the pandemic, I wonder how they're dealing with it in the Bahamas. When I was there everyone was "chilling" too much to be concerned about anything!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2021, 03:34

You could argue Mike has been self isolating for most of his career. :/
Profile PM 
ohwotagiveaway Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2021, 04:38

Hello Everyone,

Reading through the official mail-out, the wording makes no mention that Mike is actually performing.   The choice of language has made me suspicious that this is a simply a performance of Tubular Bells.  

Usually the headline would be something like "Mike Oldfield live in concert". But instead, it's "Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells", suggesting he's a third-party in all of this.

I've booked tickets anyway, because it'll be a great watch regardless I'm sure, and I'm only 10 minutes away from the Southbank.  

Does anyone know categorically that he's actually performing?  Suggesting caution for those coming to see it from further afield.

Dave
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2021, 04:52

I don't recall it saying anywhere that Mike would be performing. It will still be great though, I wish I could see it.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2021, 07:19

Why couldn't he perform via videolink? Perhaps playing some traditional Bahamas instrument as accompaniment.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 07 2021, 03:12

Looks like Mike's official website has been updated post this announcement, again there is nothing on there about Mike performing, but it seems like it is going to be a world wide touring entity up to and including 2023. I would expect him to be doing some promotion and or performance around the 50th anniversary though.

Strangely, on the discography section of his website there is no mention of any other solo album after Music of The Spheres, which I don't understand.

https://mikeoldfieldofficial.com/
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: May 07 2021, 05:34

It is a shame that in this digital age, we have had nothing in the last 4.5 years. Other artists release digital 1 off singles.

Of course MO doesn't owe us anything, but the odd release of news item here or there does keep profile going.

In another time the Festival Hall tickets would be sold out by now.

There is an mini Industry around his music (TB 4 2, Robert Reed, Tom Newman, Les Penning etc) but even without New music, Mike could be doing something to help promote these shows.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 08 2021, 01:43

Yes it is shame Mike hasn't embraced releases in that way, i am sure he has lots of songs or short instrumentals laying around that he could release digitally, particularly as he is someone who is into the technology side of things a lot more than his contemporaries.

I just wish we heard something from him about new music, it's been a very long time now, after Return To Ommadawn it seemed he had got his mojo back, and I was hopeful for more long tracks, but then nothing for 4 years!!! But, that is Mike Oldfield, always doing things his own way, which is what I like about him, he is unique.
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: July 09 2021, 12:06

Personally, I've always thought that Mike's music was too complex and refined to be decently played live... Montreux is the exception, TB2 and TB3 are quite good even if a bit stiff, but I don't like those albums so... about the tribute bands, they are inevitably flawed, the best guitarist being indoubtedly that Russian guy playing in this band covering TB2 you can find on YT.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 09 2021, 20:09

Quote (Erick @ July 09 2021, 12:06)
Personally, I've always thought that Mike's music was too complex and refined to be decently played live

The reductio ad absurdum of this silly statement is classical music, with all its complexity.
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: July 10 2021, 06:16

Sorry nightspore, but this is a stupid comparison, Mike's music is not classical music and is not performed live under the same conditions.
Profile PM 
56 replies since Jan. 29 2021, 07:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net