Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells performances in London in Augus 2021< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 10 2021, 20:32

Quote (Erick @ July 10 2021, 06:16)
Sorry nightspore, but this is a stupid comparison, Mike's music is not classical music and is not performed live under the same conditions.

Go fuck yourself, Mike.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 11 2021, 04:47

Here is some interesting stuff from Robin A Smith:

http://www.robin-smith.co.uk/tubular-bells-anniversary-concert/
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: July 11 2021, 07:11

Quote (nightspore @ July 10 2021, 20:32)
Quote (Erick @ July 10 2021, 06:16)
Sorry nightspore, but this is a stupid comparison, Mike's music is not classical music and is not performed live under the same conditions.

Go fuck yourself, Mike.

Seems like you have some difficulties understanding simple statements, relax dude! just go outside and breath fresh air.
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: July 11 2021, 07:13

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ July 11 2021, 04:47)
Here is some interesting stuff from Robin A Smith:

http://www.robin-smith.co.uk/tubular-bells-anniversary-concert/

Nice insight! Must have been a challenge indeed putting live TB2... hopefully Smith will make TB a pleasant listenable experience with that tribute band... about adding dancers and acrobats to the live performance, at first sight it sounds a bit weird to me, but let's see... good music played live just needs good performers, sound and lighting, but everything must be turned into entertainment these days.
Profile PM 
MariaMur Offline

Posted: July 13 2021, 05:51

Hi everyone! You all seem so ecstatic about the performance of the Tubular Bells that you made me jealous.Since you are all saying that the Tubular Bells performances are not to be missed and that they left you speechless, I’m now looking forward to being at the next one. With regard to events, I would like to say that we should really appreciate the people that are making sure that they are enjoyable for us. Sometimes, we don’t realize the effort that goes into organizing an event. Btw, if you ever find yourself in the position of an “event organizer”, you should check out ontourevents.co.uk. They’ll save you a lot of headaches.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 15 2021, 05:01

Hi Maria, welcome to Tubular.net, it's always great to have new members join us. We are looking forward to this special event, I hope it also means Mike will be doing some new interviews for it.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 21 2021, 04:21

We now know the pianist:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/uk-regi....0210719
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2021, 08:38

There has been an update on Mike's YouTube page, the 1st time in years. They have posted a video with visuals from the show over the rehearsals of Tubular Bells.

https://youtu.be/c4YGsyiYSLM
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2021, 04:36

The MC will be well known actor Samuel West, taking on the Vivian Stanshall roll.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enterta....65.html
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2021, 08:18

This visualization reminded me of older Windows versions.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2021, 01:50

There is a review of the show in the Times Online, but I don't have a subscription to read it,
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 10 2021, 18:25

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2021, 02:06

Thanks for the link, interesting to know that they played Summit Day and Moonlight Shadow, I didn't know that was going to happen.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 11 2021, 04:08

Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 11 2021, 04:18

shenry Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2021, 06:57

Someone has put a minute long youtube video (filmed from the audience - naughty!;) on the Tubular World facebook page. Sorry, I've come away from it now and can't find the link - I'm not really too Facebook literate.

The main impression I got was the dancers/acrobats are definitely the main visual focus, in the centre lit up, and with the musicians away on either side. The most annoying thing is that people seem to be applauding the acrobats constantly. So the musical performance is definitely the background element and not the main point of the show. It looks good enough, but that would definitely annoy me a bit if I went to see it. Maybe I would change my mind if I saw it in the flesh.

I wonder what came first - the idea to do a TB concert, or the circus stuff? Was the circus stuff brought in as an idea to give some kind of focus to the show as it was clear Mike was never going to be a part of this?

Reminds me obviously of the Beatles' Love show in Vegas. But of course that was recorded music, so you didn't need a live band.

Anyone went to the show who can comment? Any impressions you want to share?
Profile PM 
amarokuk Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2021, 03:43

We went to the Wednesday 11th August Matinee and there was no applause for the circus dancers during the performance ?.
IMHO I found them to be a bit of a distraction also the backdrop video of the Sun was very repetitive.
I am of an age (64) where funny enough my first Mike Oldfield concert was at the Royal Festival Hall Tour of Europe 1979 matinee 21st April 1979 (this time I was 4 rows back !;), the lighting on that concert was quite dark and the sound was marginal but hey for a MO fan since 1973 there was the man !.

I know Mike wasn't in attendance, since the very beginning I have come to appreciate Mike don't do fans or embrace concerts so any other avenue to bring MO to new and old audiences alike gets my vote so we went with an open mind.

The Concert starts with the musicians only no dancers and the opening number 'Gem' was more like a mix of Vangelis and Pink Floyd and I had to check I was at the right concert !, A medley of Mike's Tunes AKA Jörn Brackhagen's excellent Taurus IV from Lost in Static 18 would have been perfect (does anyone have a copy please ?, I have a empty CD case :-( ) so didn't really fit in a Mike Oldfield concert IMHO Summit day was good and Moonlight Shadow wouldn't be my choice but OK there is a large back catalogue of MO tracks that could have been used so lets hope when it tours around the world part one is adjusted. what would be good is Robin A Smith lists 20 MO tracks on his website and asks for Fans etc to vote for their top 6 :-).
Part 2 the stage is cleared with the band on the Flanks and the dancers appeared again not my thing and was on occasions a distraction, I don't know what the terms of the concert are it could be the dance troupe are the performance and Robin was contracted to provide the music?.
I would give the performance of Tubular Bells 7 out of 10 mostly due to sound issues with the guitar in particular. As I said I have been to many Mike Oldfield Concerts (25+) over the years and noted a number of under 30 people enjoying Tubular Bells so if this brings MO to new audiences bring it on.
It is what it is people
Keep the faith X
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2021, 16:01

Still wondering what acrobatics have to do with music... as foreseen, it is no good  :/
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2021, 18:51

Just saw the show.  I admit, having not seen a prior track listing I was baffled at first and also wondered if I was at the right gig.  Robin Smith’s 15 minute opening number was pleasant enough but given how rarely we get to hear live Oldfield music of any kind it might have been great to toss The Lake or Taurus I into the mix.

Anyway, when Summit Day dawned I relaxed a lot more and thought that was well played.  The sound on Moonlight Shadow felt a little muddy with the timing off and the singer overselling the lyric as if she was performing Aida or something.

BUT!  the main event with the revolving sun animation, and acrobats was really remarkable.  Yes, we marvelled at the dancers and ignored the musicians but the music’s presence was very much felt and literally embodied with some seriously impressive acrobatics.  At times I wanted the dance movements to be synced a little better with changes in the music but overall the effect was monumental, and the show got a well-deserved standing ovation.

It’s well worth seeing if you can set aside the assumption that you’re seeing a tribute band play a gig.  This is very much not that.
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2021, 20:25

Quote (Platinumpty @ Aug. 14 2021, 18:51)
It’s well worth seeing if you can set aside the assumption that you’re seeing a tribute band play a gig.  This is very much not that.

Personally, I believe Mike Oldfield is the Angel of the North, and can "go into" anyone he likes. So yes, that would have been a live Oldfield gig after all.  :O

So ask those musicians when TB4 is coming out, and ignore all disingenuous, "who me?" replies.  :laugh:
Profile PM 
56 replies since Jan. 29 2021, 07:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net