Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells performances in London in Augus 2021< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
amarokuk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 15 2021, 01:29

Quote (Erick @ Aug. 14 2021, 16:01)
Still wondering what acrobatics have to do with music... as foreseen, it is no good  :/

After further research and reading Robin Smith's blog on the Gig He originall pitched the Idea to the Dance Troupe so it looks like the Dance Group have bankrolled the entire project hence centre stage

also during my research I found this group which looks to have a good cross section of Mike Oldfield Music ?

https://www.tubularbellslive.com/
And are playing in East Sussex end of August :-)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2021, 03:21

Thanks for all the reviews.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2021, 04:23

The lead guitarist in the show is Jay Stapley, he also played with Mike for the TB2 Live in Edinburgh performance among others. He has written an interesting blog about the lead up to and 1st performance of these shows:
http://jaystapley.co.uk/blog/
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2021, 02:26

Here is a savage review:

https://louderthanwar.com/mike-ol....-review

I do think, the person only has himself to blame for not doing his research to find out if Mike will be performing or not.
Profile PM 
Antonuzzo Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2021, 09:10

That Louder than War review is hilarious. There was no illusion whatsoever that Mike would be performing, and the fact that the 'editor' (or should that be 'ediot'?) didn't manage to glean this bit of information from the website, adverts or programme is a bit of an eye-opener.

I went on the Saturday and really enjoyed it. Yes, Moonlight Shadow was so over-egged you could have made an omelette out of it; yes, the Robin Smith piece should have been ditched in favour of an Oldfield piece; and yes, the dancers were a silly and frequently hysterical addition.

But the main piece was something else. The new arrangement didn't deviate too much from the original and enhanced rather than hindered it. The musicianship throughout was excellent, particularly Jay Stapley's guitar playing and the clever addition of an incredible cellist.

Now do Hergest Ridge, please.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2021, 09:42

I'm sympathetic to people who thought Mike was appearing. Personally, I thought it was quite clear from the initial adverts (which is why I didn't go to the effort of travelling to London for it). But it's undeniable that there's a significant number of people now voicing their disappointment that they genuinely thought it was going to be a Mike Oldfield concert. I believe they thought this, and I suspect many were casual fans who maybe go to a lot of big-name concerts and honestly were misled by the advertising and didn't read it closely enough. I can't bring myself to denigrate them as I do think their confusion is genuine. Who reads adverts closely??

Sadly, a bit of a negative vibe has now clouded the show it seems, so I don't suppose the planned tour will go ahead. I hope I'm wrong. I would still like to see it.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2021, 06:34

We are living in an age where the mantra is, check, check again, then check once more, so there is no excuse in my view for thinking that Mike would be performing. The fact is, Mike is such an enigma, that on the rare time he does appear at anything, let alone preform, it is a big, even huge deal, take the 2012 Olympics for example. When Mike is due to perform, it will be made very clear!!!
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 25 2021, 11:52

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2021, 20:00

You'd think people would get bored playing the same thing over and over again.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 25 2021, 20:08

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
huatfrida Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2021, 15:53

That's so interesting!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2021, 21:41

D folkie delphiniums...
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2021, 04:23

Hi Frida, welcome to Tubular.net :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2021, 19:34

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 23 2021, 04:23)
Hi Frida, welcome to Tubular.net :)

... which is seeming more and more like the empty, echoing halls of Maestro.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2021, 03:57

It always get's more busy when Mike has an album out, so I am always waiting for that, plus I don't do social media, so I still like to visit this site.
Profile PM 
huatfrida Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2021, 18:59

I can't get enough of spectacle or music in general. I can listen to a song that I like many times, and I can't get enough of it. Music makes me feel licked and, at the same time, carefree. And the 2021 concerts, I do not know, seem more hype, especially after a quarantine of 2 years that changed everything, and no one has gone out to have fun now at almost every concert full of people. Everyone wants to make up for the time lost in these two years sitting at home and doing nothing. This time has changed many people, including me.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2021, 04:39

Music has a special place in my heart too, and Mike's music is very special, I have not heard anything as unique as what he does, and his wonderful guitar playing and sound deserves way more praise.
Profile PM 
56 replies since Jan. 29 2021, 07:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net