Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular bells Microphones, mics used for tubular bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Danny_1985 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 13 2008, 14:31

People please help me out!!

Im doing a presentation for uni, based on a landmark recording, obviously i have chosen to do it on 'Tubular bells'. I have looked everywhere for what mic's were used when making the album in the manor but cant find anything, i thought i would impress everyone as no one has any idea which ones they used.
So if anyone has any information i would be very very very grateful for any help. Thanks
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 15:04

I'm afraid I can't help much here, but the topic looked so lonely and empty that I thought I should at least post to say so!

If someone can find a picture which was actually taken while Mike was recording the album, I could perhaps tell you a bit more. I've had a look in all the places which I can think of and really can't find anything which helps.

Sometimes you can hear an album and just know that it's a Neumann or something like that - the sound just leaps out and says "Hello, remember me?". I'm afraid Tubular Bells isn't one of those albums, for me.
I suppose, to make a complete guess, you'd probably find that they had a few of the older industry standards, like U47s and C12s. I know they got their first monitoring speakers from the BBC (and I'm trying desperately to remember what model it was that predated the LS5/8 but really can't right now), you may find that they also got some of the BBC standard microphones like 4038s. I think the studio was initially equipped mostly with things that they'd managed to find cheap in various places, so they probably wouldn't have had any of the newest models there.

If anyone can find some pictures, we can start to have some fun!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 15:29

Not sure if this one helps:

:zzz:
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 16:42

Unfortunately, I already looked at that one. That said, I looked at it in the book rather than at this enlarged size...

It still doesn't give many clues, even on such close examination, but maybe...just maybe...could that possibly be a Sennheiser MD441 on that stand there by the congas? It would certainly be a decent choice for recording percussion, and it wouldn't be a totally silly choice for those acoustic guitars either (hmm...I'm going to think about that a bit more in relation to the sounds on Tubular Bells, I think...).

I guess it's worth pointing out the Beyerdynamic DT 100 headphones as well.

Interesting what happens when you look a bit closer...thanks, manintherain!
Profile PM 
3 replies since Jan. 13 2008, 14:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net