Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells IV, Somebody has to make it...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 25 2003, 18:03

After my exams, I think I'm going to re-compose a string quartet I wrote once. (I took part in a composing contest with it, but it was to complicated to be played with only 4 instruments ;) )

As soon as it is finished (or something else, if I change my mind), i'll post it here.
(quote from me on the topic 'Frustration' )

Well, I have changed my mind. Kinda forced though, because that damned string quartet is technically to hard. So I thought, let's get some practise.

Tubular Bells IV (if you hear it, you'll know why it has that name) is far from finished, but it's the first multi-instrumental pop-like song I've ever tried to make. So I need some negative comments (the most useful kind of comment)!  ;)

I know the general composition isn't good enough, I'm fully aware of that, probably because I've spent only 5 hours composing it, so I need some comment about the sounds and about the ideas in it.
The sound isn't to good either, some notes need some pitching, and some instruments (the clarinet) I will probably have to replace.

It seems I've given most of the comment myself  :D, but still, I will appreciate some feedback.

TubularBells IV (demo) Edit: The track has been removed.

P.S.: if you use a sub-whoofer, better turn it off. I have some bass-noices whitch come out deformed if you use it. Same comment for 'Frustration', so if you use a subwhoofer and you didn't like 'Frustration', try it without it.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2003, 21:13

Very interesting. A little too much bass stuff going on around the beginning though (I don't have a sub woofer but it's still too much). That one bass instrument is good but then a whole bunch of bass noises start going on and it sounds wrong lol. It also sounds a little too fake. Perhaps some good reverb would solve this. Over all the piece is very nice musicaly it just nedes better sounding instruments and more realistic sound.

It's interesting because it's more like TB1 and 2 TB3 but it's still at the same time far enough away from TB1 and 2 to say it's another copy. I like it! Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the 'album.'

PS- I hope my comments are negative enough :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 26 2003, 16:01

I'll keep your remarks in mind! ;)

I'm just wondering: didn't you like the bass-noice at all or do you just dislike it's early appearance?

Thx.

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 27 2003, 19:30

Well...it just seems out of place. I kind of see your intention I guess with it but it just sounds like the bass did a bunch of wrong low notes really. Maybe if you went about it in a different way....I'm not sure how to explain it. 0:37 is where I don't like it....

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 27 2003, 20:14

Hmm... I see...    (actually I don't  :D )
Well, anyway, thanks for your time, Brandon.

I'd like a second opinion though, folks, so don't hesitate and post some critics here. It will definitly be a tribute to my work and don't we all want music to be as best as it can get?

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 28 2003, 20:13

I quite like the way the bass noises work, but I'd maybe work on the sound of them to make them more separate from the pitched bass (the sounds seem to share quite a bit in common, which make them compete in the mix a bit - only a bit, but obviously enough to bother MusicallyInspired! ). I'd also be tempted to try following them with some higher frequency noise, which could be a cymbal crash or could be something more synthetic.

An extra synth strings part with the D as pedal note works quite nicely in some places, though that's more an observation than a suggestion, as it would be easy to overdo things.

As far as the sounds go, I don't have any complaints with what you've picked, though if you can get your hands on some even higher quality versions, that would of course be a bonus.

I don't notice anything in particular in the sound there which should cause problems when played through a subwoofer; I'd imagine that any problems with it sounding odd are as much to do with the setup or design of the subwoofer than anything in the mix. If it really is a probem which a lot of people report, then you can try gently rolling off the low bass end of the mix (but being careful to not do anything that makes it sound thin - I'd start by trying at just 30Hz and below and move that frequency up if there are still problems).
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 28 2003, 23:40

Lol sorry I'm not much help, Ancient Language. I don't know. It's just something I hear in it that doesn't sound right. I like the idea and think you should keep it, but like Korgscrew explained it much easier than I did, the 2 bass sounds compete on the same frequency. And also agree that if you got even higher quality instrument sounds it would be an added bonus. But this isn't bad. Not bad at all.

Anyways, good luck again!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 30 2003, 18:01

That's some damn usefull comment you're giving me! :)
You both are much helpfull! You have my thanks!

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 18 2003, 04:42

Hello,
I am listening it now. Composition is great! But I think that the piano sounds like a midi so not real too much if you would want me to I can support you some samples...

Overall rating by me would be just like 8/10 10 being highest...

sorry about that but I would work on getting the sound more dynamic and maybe used more reverbs and stuff

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 

Posted: April 18 2003, 05:53

If you've got better samples, I would of course be happy with them. But only if it isn't to much trouble, because the piano isn't the biggest problem with the sound IMO (that damn clarinet sounds horribly midi-like).

I agree it lacks some dynamics (I'm working on that), and some reverb would be nice to. But the problem is that if I put more reverb on a instrument, my computer can't handle it anymore (I'm still working only with Fruityloops... damn thing). If I had some more money I would buy some more professional stuff, but as I'm just a poor student :p we'll have to live with insufficient reverb  :/  ...  

Anyway, thanks for your  attention.

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 18 2003, 08:25

Great another flooper :)))))) hahah if you want me to then when you'll be happy with composition you can send it over to me and I will do some mastering for you ;) that's not a problem also if you want some samples I will look in my collection before that pls write in which format you need the samples to be (I guess wav or sf2 right?) and what instruments you want ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: April 19 2003, 05:36

Fruityloops can handle .fst, .ds, .syn and of course .wav
A clarinet would be really nice (don't know what kind of clarinet, doesn't matter I think), and if you've got a better piano it would please me to.
Thanks.

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 19 2003, 07:18

well ok I am not at home now :) but will send them over to my site tomorow and place a link here :)

greets

B.

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 11:43

:D the samples are here quite a big pack anyway :-S it's just like 7 megs or so but really worth it... contains two different pianos... One is classic steinway grand and the other one is a kawai grand also inside is a clarinet

http://www.rebirth.nd4spdworld.com/staff/samples.zip

have fun...

as promised all the samples are in wav 16 bit, 44.1 khz

greets

B.

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 10:34

HEY? Did you like them? ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: April 22 2003, 15:07

The piano sounds are awesome! With the reverb already being present, I don't have to create digital reverb anymore (that cost me about the half of my processor's work), and it sounds way better of course!
Your clarinets are also nice. I had to work a bit at them to make them able to be used, so in the track they sound less natural as the piano now. But I've combined that sound with a slightly cut guitar to create the more dynamic sound I was looking for.
Experimenting with all your samples also gave me ideas for sounds I'm gonna use further on in the composition.
So to answer your question: yes, I like them!!! Thank you very much!

Where did you get this samples btw? Have you got a piano and clarinet collection? Or did you download them somewhere?

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 15:30

shhh... the steinway is hmm my friend's :)

and the clarinet is from my sample collection (that's btw about 1 Gigabyte of various sound samples)
so if you need any more samples just tell me...except my guitar samples I will give out anything :)

--------------
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2003, 16:32

Well I am not into the technicalities of music like my learnered friends above, in fact the only note I know is 'A flat miner'  :)

Though I would say I have a good ear for the music I like.
(Well I am a Mike Oldfield fan, say no more, wink, wink)

I listened to your MP3 and here are my comments:-

You should have called it 'TB IV in a thunderstorm' the bass is a just bit overpowering on the speakers but is still good, you should maybe tone it down a bit though. The thunderstorm idea is good as it gives it tension & atmosphere.

Mind you some of the best music produced requires a lot from speakers, a good example of this is one of my favorite singles:- ADIEMUS from the album Adeimus - Songs from the Sanctuary and unless you have a fantastic speaker setup it can cause problems as you turn up the volume.

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 

Posted: April 22 2003, 20:07

Thunderstorm... Never thought of that one! But now you mention it, it's quite obvious, isn't it? :D At this time, the track is a bit extended with no further bass noises, but it's still a nice idea to refer to this part as the thunderstorm.
I planned this part to be the more quiet part actually, so I guess we'll get Armageddon parts in the future.  ;)

About the pitched bass (it is actually a heavily deformed, pitched down, acoustic guitar  :D ), it's good you mention it doesn't fit well to your speakers. I've only got one point of view (hear?) on it, as I only possess one computer, and it hasn't got the best sound performance... I once took a track of mine to a friend, to let him listen to it. But that sound... aweful! And it seemed only my track sounded aweful! The shame, the shame... First I blamed the sub-woofer, but later I realised it was due to his sound configuration (techno-settings...) Now there's a useless story!  :zzz:  
I just want to say that Korgscrew is probably right and that the quantity of complains the thing is that counts. If not, you'd  probably become paranoid for bad soundings. That's the explaination for my earlier demand to put the sub-woofer off. I'm offering my apologizes to all sub-woofers: it wasn't your fault, guys.

Anyway, thx for the comment.

Edit: whoops! I replied a bit misplaced, didn't I! You've not mentioned anything about the pitched bass (I must have dreamt the 'pitched';). I posted it in the middle of the night, I guess that's the explaination. Sorry for the inconveniance!

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: May 05 2003, 16:40

Hi, it's me again.

I could say I've finished "part 1". But I'm kinda forced to, let me explain.
This part is about 4:25. It once was around 5:00, but then my computer crashed and the fruityloops file became corrupted.  :(  Well, it had almost 70 (! ) layers, so I think I can blame that one.
First I wanted to make one or two long tracks, like our good ol' TB73, but now I think it's best to do it in little parts and 'paste' them together later. So I thought, why not posting it already? It must stress that the ending that you'll hear isn't the actual ending of the composition. It's just the part where nothing much happens, and thus being the most appropriate place for a split.

I boughed a mike, a really pathetic one, probably the cheapest one avaible and probably not appropriate for any music recordings at all.   :)  (Korgscrew, it's not that I'm ignoring your advice, it's just that I saw it in a computer shop and thought I could make a start with it :) )
Anyway, it was almost good enough to imitate the instrument master calling the instruments. I'll give the lyricks, though, as nobody has understood them yet:

2:31: Booster's clarinet with a soft, slightly cut guitar
2:43: Booster's grand piano
2:53: very deformed acoustic guitar, and introducing strings
3:05: tinkle sound
3:17: some more strings
3:26: and finally, take a guess
3:33: (that's meant to be a laugh)
3:41: er... yeah... well yeah... I guess I screwed up that one...

Here's the link:

Tubular Bells IV (1)  (5,22 MB)

Another few notes:
The clarinet problem is solved, to piano sound is improved and there are some nice tubular bells, all thanks to Booster, who provided me with this samples.
I added some drums to give it some dynamics, but I think you can hear clearly that it's the first time I use more complicated drum rhtytms.
As for the composition, I tried to add a bit TB73, TBII, TBIII, TSODE (allthough I'm not fond of it), Amarok, Killing Fields (or my style, whatever) and some parts even remind me to TMB.

Allright, these are my comments. Now I'd like to hear yours.

Have a nice listening,

Music, the ancient language...

--------------
Profile PM 
41 replies since Mar. 25 2003, 18:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net