Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells in BBC Best album poll< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 30 2006, 05:34

Tubular Bells was voted #18 in a poll by BBC Radio 2 listeners for the Best Album Of All Time.

Here's a related article:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new....ge.html
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2006, 12:37

Yes - I spotted this in the paper today. Am still making up my mind as to whether I'm surprised or not, although Radio 2 seems to have been very pro-Mike of late :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2006, 15:42

Well, I voted for it. I guess that means the winner must have had about 18 more fans than Mike  :D  :D

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2006, 11:37

I voted too. But I also voted for the eventual winner (Sgt. Pepper). Does anyone know where Hergest Ridge and TBII came?

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2006, 13:29

Was'nt the poll for best number 1 album, as opposed to just best album?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2006, 20:13

I was pleasantly surprised by Mike's no 18 placing in this poll, as on one similar poll on Channel 4 Tubular Bells was nowhere to be seen  :O  :/ .  

I was surprised by the absence of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon though, I'm sure it was a no 1 album, still Wish You Were Here Made it to no.5, possibly the recent untimely death of Syd Barret pushed WYWH up the chart placings.   Queen's A Night At The Opera in at no.9      Quite a few Stones and Zeppelin albums in there too :cool:.

Personally I do fractionally prefer Hergest Ridge to Tubular Bells, I wonder where Hergest Ridge came in  :/ .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2006, 15:08

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 05 2006, 01:13)
I was surprised by the absence of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon though, I'm sure it was a no 1 album, still Wish You Were Here Made it to no.5, possibly the recent untimely death of Syd Barret pushed WYWH up the chart placings.   Queen's A Night At The Opera in at no.9      Quite a few Stones and Zeppelin albums in there too :cool:.

Personally I do fractionally prefer Hergest Ridge to Tubular Bells, I wonder where Hergest Ridge came in  :/ .

I'm sorry to say that Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" whilst being an exceptionally brilliant album only reached number 2 in the charts, and as of 2004 had spent 364 weeks in the top 100 charts.

Queen's "A Night At The Opera" still being recognised today is a wonderful thing, especially as it would have been Freddie's 60th birthday roundabout this time, and I believe Galadriel has another thread running about Freddie's 60th in the "Other Artists" section. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Of course, me and quite a few of my friends and family knew that "Sgt. Pepper" would be Number 1 in the list, or at least in the top 5 placings. My dad (a very enthusiastic Beatles fan) was very glad to see it placed there. I, of course, voted for it along with Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Tubular Bells II, and I too would have liked to see Hergest Ridge make a fairly high place in the listings. But, it wasn't to be.

Just for curiosity, does anyone know where TBII and Hergest Ridge came in the end? I know they're probably not in the Top 100, but it would still be nice to know if there were any way of finding the complete run down of the 1000+ Albums.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2006, 19:14

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Sep. 07 2006, 20:08)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 05 2006, 01:13)

I'm sorry to say that Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" whilst being an exceptionally brilliant album only reached number 2 in the charts, and as of 2004 had spent 364 weeks in the top 100 charts.

Queen's "A Night At The Opera" still being recognised today is a wonderful thing, especially as it would have been Freddie's 60th birthday roundabout this time, and I believe Galadriel has another thread running about Freddie's 60th in the "Other Artists" section. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Of course, me and quite a few of my friends and family knew that "Sgt. Pepper" would be Number 1 in the list, or at least in the top 5 placings. My dad (a very enthusiastic Beatles fan) was very glad to see it placed there. I, of course, voted for it along with Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Tubular Bells II, and I too would have liked to see Hergest Ridge make a fairly high place in the listings. But, it wasn't to be.

Indeed Alice Cooper's Schools Out kept DSOTM off the UK no 1 spot.Pity as DSOTM deserved  to be a no 1 album, I'm surprised given the many copies it's sold so far it has never been a no 1.
Other albums that immediately spring to mind I feel deserved a no.1 and never quite made it
are Beggar's Banquet - The Rolling Stones UK no3 and also Mike's Ommadawn UK no 4, greatest album ever IMHO :D

Indeed I started  a Freddie Mercury thread in "Other Artists" this was to coincidewith the anniversary of his death last year,  I did ressurect it for what would have been Freddie's 60th birthday last Tuesday  :) .I'dput a link here,but I'm not sure how to link one page on TubularBoard to another,help please Inkanta :O.

Sgt Pepper always seems to be the no 1 album in these polls and deservedly so, it was a groundbreaking album back in 1967.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 05 2014, 08:27

It's one of the world's great mysteries, how Dark Side of The Moon never made it to number 1, even more so, when you look at some of the awful albums that has got to number 1 over the years.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Aug. 30 2006, 05:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net