Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells III, Good/Bad< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Punkadiddle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 09:27

I need help... should I buy TB III or is it pretty much the same as TB and TBII.  I saw it in a record shop and didn't pick it up because I thought it might be on the same lines as the first two.  Help!
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 09:44

It's different.  Most fans love it or hate it.  There are many strong opinions on this one.  Has too many dance grooves for some.  I enjoy it.
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 14:25

buy it!!!!!!!

it is the same in that you can tell its mike, but as for sounding like the first 2 i would have to say that the style is more up beat and angry, it sets itself apart from the other 2 because it is more up to date, and Far Above The Clouds is just amazing, the bells never sounded soooooooooo good!  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 18:10

yup. everything you've heard is true. TB3  is way different than TB/TB2. i think its better. IT ROCKS! :P

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 20:05

Different.Makes you travel through Mike´s emotions during his Ibiza days.
I like it most of the tunes.
It dialogues with Ommadawn and Crises.
It´s not a real TB like the original and TB II.
It´s TB III.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 19:06

I love it :)  :)  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 19:35

It's a real TB, but more "evolutionary" than TB 2. Rather than being a direct part-by-part different version (like TB 2 is of TB1), TB 3 it is more of a re-envisioning, with some tracks seemingly inspired by two tracks of the previous ones (Piltdown + Sunjammer = Outcast, Sunset Door combines with Red Dawn, etc.). Rather heavy on the Ibiza disco beat at times, but here I think it works a lot better than in Millenium Bell.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: April 16 2010, 03:41

TBIII, is totally awesome, and I would rank it above II and 2003, even though III is not really in the same musical anthem as the other two.

There is so much going on in III, so many different anthems, signatures, styles etc that I never get tired of listening to it. Whereas with II and to a lesser extent 2003 I rarely bother with owing to a "saminess" running through the entire piece
Profile PM 
Tsjuderbeng Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2010, 08:17

TB III is my favorite album ! I'm MO fan since the release of TB III (because now I'm only 23 yo)  I listened to this album every night before I go to sleep. It inspires me in my own music.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2010, 19:26

Just to confirm here, TB3 is very different. Don't worry at all, you will not get the same thing again, it's not even in two parts like the previous two. It's a new album, simply.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2010, 02:12

Hi Tsjuderbeng.

Yes, I find TBIII inspiring. I painted a room the other day to TBIII - played it over a few times.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2010, 03:48

Quote (wiga @ Oct. 14 2010, 02:12)
Hi Tsjuderbeng.

Yes, I find TBIII inspiring. I painted a room the other day to TBIII - played it over a few times.

I thought you were going to say you painted a mural for your home based on the TB3 cover art!

Did Milamber give you any painting tips?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2010, 04:03

Just Magnolia Nightspore - to walls and skirtings. I put Amarok on first but it didn't feel right - TBIII flowed better with my mind and brush strokes.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2010, 06:57

Quote (wiga @ Oct. 14 2010, 04:03)
Just Magnolia Nightspore - to walls and skirtings. I put Amarok on first but it didn't feel right - TBIII flowed better with my mind and brush strokes.

Is Magnolia a colour or a piece of music... Or am I thinking of Jungle Gardenia?? Oh no - there's no smiley for a puzzled face!  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 02:47

It's a beige/ivory colour - beige walls and white ceilings. :)

So the winning track as far as painting goes is, " The Top of The Morning."

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 06:53

Quote (wiga @ Oct. 15 2010, 02:47)
It's a beige/ivory colour - beige walls and white ceilings. :)

So the winning track as far as painting goes is, " The Top of The Morning."

I hope the music didn't have a subconscious effect on you, Wiga. It would be alarming to hear "you're the man in the rain" and simultaneously feel paint dripping on to your head!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 07:43

One of the first posts in this thread describes TBIII as a love-it-or-hate-it kind of album.
In hindsight - I'm not sure it is! I personally think it's just OK and those who don't like the "new" Mike prefer to bash other albums from this period.
So is it a love-it-or-hate-it album or is it just a like-it-or-like-it-a-little kind of album?
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 08:34

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 15 2010, 07:43)
One of the first posts in this thread describes TBIII as a love-it-or-hate-it kind of album.
In hindsight - I'm not sure it is! I personally think it's just OK and those who don't like the "new" Mike prefer to bash other albums from this period.
So is it a love-it-or-hate-it album or is it just a like-it-or-like-it-a-little kind of album?
Lars T

I agree, Lars. I really like two or three tracks, and quite like or am indifferent to the rest.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 08:39

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 15 2010, 12:43)
Lars T

Love it or hate it conversations are a bit limiting. If a MO fan said they hated all of TBIII I think I'd be unconvinced - too simplistic, and too black and white.

What I think and feel about TBIII is rich and complex, and that would actually include some low points and high points, which might satisfy the polar opposite criteria on this thread - to some extent, but not a lot.

--------------
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 14:35

Hi all,

been lurking for ages now but had to post about this.

I was one of those who, having been a fan of Mike's for 32 years now, was a bit cautious about buying this album and thought that MO was copping out a bit, relying on the good old name of TB to make more dosh. So I held off.

As I'm on holiday from school (teacher not pupil!;), I decided to have a mooch around the old You Tube and listened to some old classics of Mike's. Then I thought, "why not?" and listened to Top Of The Morning and Secrets/Far Above The Clouds. And that was that.

I found out that, as many of you have stated here, TB3 is NOTHING like TB the First and is actually quite good. So I bought it and it arrived today. And it's on the stereo now and I'm loving it!

Just had to say, like...

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
20 replies since Sep. 09 2003, 09:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net