Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells for Two in Sydney< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wolfus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 01:29

Australian Oldfield fans must not miss this!! Stu Irwin and myself first saw this incredible show last year. Now it's on again on Saturday 13th March, at the Vanguard in Newtown. It is so good it will bring tears to your eyes. Daniel Holdsworth (Dan Leonard) and Aidan Roberts (The Maple Trail) return to the Vanguard in 2010 to perform their remarkable two-man version of Mike Oldfield's seminal 1973 masterpiece Tubular Bells. Holdsworth and Roberts spent months arranging and rehearsing this ambitious undertaking, utilizing acoustic and electric guitars, two pianos, three synthesizers, two drum kits, bass guitar, mandolin, glockenspiel, and of course, tubular bells, presenting the work in its entirety. Check out the poster, you other worlders,  and it alone may make you drool. - cheers, wolfo http://sa2.seatadvisor.com/sabo....anceId=
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 03:53

Hi Wolfus, have put it in the diary and will definitely come to Sydney to see them! Thanks for letting us know, Cheers
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 04:33

Bloody hell that's ambitious!Shame it's on the other side of the planet.
Ex we expect a full report on it.Take your notebook. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 05:19

You can count on it Caveman. Notebook and if they let me, and I ask nicely they may let me video them. Then I could post them here. Worldwide recognition here!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 05:25

That would be cool.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 14:59

Dont know if ill make it but will try my wife just blew a grand on george michael tix her reasoning was sound she said if it was mike id spend that i said thats like compairing fairy floss to caviar..ow i just got whacked sorry hon :D
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 18:30

Hi Milamber, be a good hubby and go to George Michael with your wife. For the sake of marital harmony! Can't wait to see these guys in Sydney. Iv never seen any group that do Mike's work.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 01:52

Thought about this all day 100 percent will go will look for flights tonight , if you can make a link for booking might encourage other fans to go should be a great night will bring a cam with me hope i can use it. if enough aussie people from this site go maybee we can arr a meet and greet BIG BIG thanks to Wolfus for posting cheers mate..... :)
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 05:41

Hi Milamber, I will get on to Flight Centre.com.au to organise cheap fares. If you book 2-3 weeks in advance fares can be up to 50 percent cheaper. I will get a list of departures for all states, times and any conditions which apply. Cheaper to go through Flight Centre. Best fares and guaranteed.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 18 2010, 11:08

Daniel Holdsworth (Dan Leonard) and Aidan Roberts (The Maple Trail) return to the Vanguard in Sydney, Australia, on March 13, 2010 to perform their two-man version of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells utilizing acoustic and electric guitars, two pianos, three synthesizers, two drum kits, bass guitar, mandolin, glockenspiel, and of course, tubular bells.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2010, 15:26

Tickets flight accom all booked cant wait.
Be aware sydney has domestic flight curfew will have to stay overnight
cheers
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2010, 19:10

I'd be more impressed if they could do a two-man reproduction of Earth Moving, complete with vocals!  :D
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 04:19

Hey Nightspore! These guys are well known around Sydney and have spent a lot of money, time and effort honing their craft. We aussies never get a look in and at least these guys are keeping Mike's music alive! I don't think Aussie is on Mike's to do list again, ever. Milamber and I will try to video the event and will post it here. We won't forget everyone, will keep you posted.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 08:19

Quote (ex member 419 @ Feb. 19 2010, 04:19)
I don't think Aussie is on Mike's to do list again, ever.

He could sail here .
We have thunderstorms too. :D
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 19:29

Hi Milamber, I really wouldn't count on it! Bahamas v Sydney? Don't reckon. He is busy on the re-releases, but it would be nice to see him skulking around at the back checking the band out!
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 23:45

I'll be there :)

and will record the audio if possible...
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 02:41

Its getting exciting! Aussie fans are going to the gig in Newtown! Many thanks to Wolfus who told us about it. Hope we get to meet up after the gig and go for a bite to eat! Newtown has plenty of eateries, and Lebanese food is my favourite. I have booked my favourite little Irish Pub at the Rocks, the Mercantile. They serve a massive breakfast! Not a ritzy hotel but clean and homely. Counting down the weeks now!
Profile PM 
wolfus Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 18:46

HI ex

I'd love to meet you there. I'll be with my personal bodyguards the identical Irwin twins (Stu and Richard) - so look for a really old guy with two big, blond, identical looking tough guys twins by his sides! A couple of things you should know. While the show is painstakingly, vividly and obviously near note perfect Tubular Bells, and awerome to behold bec ause of all the isntrument swapping and so on, it's not a "fan" homage. These guys are not Oldfield nuts doing it for other Oldfield nuts (like me), though they will thank Mike for "the challenge". Secondly, the great thing about the Vanguard is that dinner and drinks are served at your table - reasonably priced and generally excellent! Hope to see you there.
PS: I don't think they will tolerate any form of audio or video recording, and you wouldn't want to find yourself on the street in the middle of the show

best,
wolfo
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 21:38

Many thanks Wolfus. Will be there to enjoy the show and I will leave the camcorder at home. I respect their wishes and promise not to treat it as an Oldfield production. They are independent performers and should be respected as such. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Profile PM 
wolfus Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2010, 18:24

Ah - slight update: Rik Irwin can't make it - which leaves me with just the one Irwin twin (Stu) and eight of his closest friends- so a little harder to spot! So, at the risk of sounding like gratuitous self-promotion, you can see what I look like at the website for my new more than slightly Oldfield influenced album right here. www.cutho.com
(There's a link on there to hear the songs on myspace)
See you on the night!
w.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Feb. 16 2010, 01:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net