Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells for 2 performing at Edinburgh Fringe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oGUH Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 09 2013, 18:20

Quote (The Thin Man @ June 07 2013, 14:38)
I saw the concert in Newark last night and have to say that the musicianship of the two guys was astonishing.  There was much more control than I had been expecting, although there were still a number of dicey transitions which worked more often than not.  The encore was short but well worth it.  If you get the chance go to see them.

If Mike played in Japan, I think I would go no matter what
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: June 17 2013, 07:07

Well, I went to the Union Chapel and loved it...

Here's a review!

http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk/2013....wo.html

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 17 2013, 08:04

Cool review indeed. But they spoil it at the end ;)

In Paris we didn't have a first part with that other Aussie guy. Neither did we have their own stuff played at the beginning of the encore.

We're poor in Paris...

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: June 18 2013, 11:18

Quote (Jerome C @ June 17 2013, 08:04)
Cool review indeed. But they spoil it at the end ;)

In Paris we didn't have a first part with that other Aussie guy. Neither did we have their own stuff played at the beginning of the encore.

We're poor in Paris...

Ahh, I'm sorry, do you think I should have kept the encore a secret?  :D

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 18 2013, 11:45

People should have guessed by now :D

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 26 2013, 07:22

Saw it last night in the Spiegeltent at the Southbank, just a few hundred yards from where it was first performer live in '73.

Amazing piece of musical theatre - not only have they found a way to perform it for two people but they don't stint on the arrangement either, using multiple loop pedals to "multitrack" guitars and keyboards, playing two keyboards and bass-drum at the same time etc...  

Only a couple of fluffs in last night's performance, some good-natured banter between sides and an appreciative audience who gave the show a standing ovation.

No encore sadly, probably due to time restrictions - there may well have been a late show going in, as this was part of some 'Wonderland' cabaret festival or other.

Well worth seeing.... I'd like to see them attempt Amarok next but that could prove fatal...
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 26 2013, 07:37

Quote (Platinumpty @ June 26 2013, 13:22)
I'd like to see them attempt Amarok next but that could prove fatal...

At some point they'll have to do some shows with a real public for real money, not only a few hundreds fans here and there :)

(note : I don't say we are not a great public, I just say playing TB is way too confidential for a living, imho...)

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
Plus..Tubular Bells! Offline

Posted: June 26 2013, 07:53

At some point they'll have to do some shows with a real public for real money, not only a few hundreds fans here and there :)

Actually both Aidan and Dan are very successful musicians in their own respective rights. Dan's music recently featured in a movie presented at the Sydney film festival and then on TV. You should check out their other work!

TB42 is proving so popular, they are playing 80 shows over 4 months with audiences around 500 per show (sometimes less, sometimes much more - like 900 in London last month). Do the maths! That's nearly a million pounds in tickets! They are back at Edinburgh with the same show for a second year by popular demand. By all reports, the audience is not just the Oldfieldian afficionados but also family members and friends, sometimes being dragged along, and discovering some great music by great musicians.

Not bad for an idea that evolved over a bottle of wine, in front of the fire, with the aid of an old tin box.
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 26 2013, 10:33

Wow, I didn't know that (and I always hatted maths ;) ) so actually yes, they should continue !!

Maybe I didn't think it could be that successful cause I was "forced" to go alone to the concert (family members didn't find it motivating enough *) and I'm living in a country where there was only ONE date in a small theater that was only actually only 70% full for the concert...

(*) and I actually bought an extra ticket for nothing...

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
oGUH Offline

Posted: June 26 2013, 21:14

70% je te trouve optimiste  :D
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 27 2013, 09:04

On va pas chipoter :)

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 17:46

Saw them again earlier this evening with the family. Awesome again :) Go see them if you possibly have the chance! :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
51 replies since May 30 2012, 05:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net