Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells for 2 performing at Edinburgh Fringe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 30 2012, 05:15

The highly acclaimed Tubular Bells for Two - performances of Mikes Tubular Bells piece by Australian multi-instrumentalists Daniel Holdsworth and Aidan Roberts - has been announced as part of the UK Edinburgh Fringe line-up for 2012. Shows will be at the Assembly Rooms venue from August 2nd to August 27th. The duo have performed the work previously using more than 20 instruments: pianos, organs, electric guitars, acoustic and spanish guitars, bass guitar, mandolin, tuned percussion, glockenspiel, drums, loop pedals, synthesizers, and, of course, tubular bells. In their own words, "the performance is intricately choreographed and rehearsed to present the work true to the original recording with all its multi-layered madness and subtle beauty intact."

Tickets on sale at: http://www.assemblyfestival.com/webpage....&#title

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 30 2012, 07:54

Awesome.

I hope I can be there...

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: May 30 2012, 08:45

Awesome indeed.

I hope they will do some tours de Europe like e.g. Aussie Pink Floyd does. That would be even more awesome.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 30 2012, 18:33

I'm there!
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: June 03 2012, 09:05

It is pretty impressive how many instruments they employ in their performance, and really they do a good job, but really? Only being known for playing Tubular Bells?

That's too much like a sad summation of Mike Oldfield's own career. His other works need to be more respected and performed more. Tubular Bells has been done to death by Mike himself as well as countless orchestras and small ensembles.

I don't intend to sound so negative, I just think I might enjoy their performance more if there was a little more interpretation going on. They're basically trying to make it exactly like the studio version, to the point where they're even using sequencers on certain sections- the way I personally feel about that is, if you can't play it live and for real, don't play it.
Profile PM WEB 
cAveMan Offline

Posted: June 04 2012, 07:32

Quote (GusFogle @ June 03 2012, 15:05)
It is pretty impressive how many instruments they employ in their performance, and really they do a good job, but really? Only being known for playing Tubular Bells?

That's too much like a sad summation of Mike Oldfield's own career. His other works need to be more respected and performed more. Tubular Bells has been done to death by Mike himself as well as countless orchestras and small ensembles.

I don't intend to sound so negative, I just think I might enjoy their performance more if there was a little more interpretation going on. They're basically trying to make it exactly like the studio version, to the point where they're even using sequencers on certain sections- the way I personally feel about that is, if you can't play it live and for real, don't play it.

^^ at most you're right, but personally even "playing" with sequencers on a live performance is playing, at least from where I stand.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: June 04 2012, 09:48

I define "playing live" as the sound is produced by your own hand in real time. Playback is never "live" in my book.
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2012, 04:02

As someone who has personally seen the show I can tell you all sequencing is applied live...as in a bass section will be played live then looped as they switch instruments and the bass continues...

This performance is perfectly choreographed and is indeed a marvel to watch ..

Also the greater public (Which this show is aimed at) would only want to see a near perfect rendition...
If something like this was just an interpretation it would simply die in the ass.

Leave interprated versions for the diehards and Allow the GP what they would want to see....

If they ever decide to preform Amarok i'd be worried, but not for Daniel and  Aiden......

Gus maybe try harder to not be negative but it comes across as sour grapes.

Definitely not in the spirit of Mikes works be they great or Chart Topping.

I sure hope Daniel who is a member here misses your post I've met them both and they are very humble nice guys.

Who I would imagine would be very supportive of your recent efforts as are we all  :)

if you can't play it live ""and for real"", don't play it.

Well that would emply sounding just like the Album  :laugh: Wouldn't It...
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: June 06 2012, 09:40

Honestly, no offense was intended on my part. The point about the general public is one I hadn't considered. It is just a different type of performance, a different format, more akin to a "theatrical event" than a classical concert. There's no reason to say one's better than the other, but I suppose the purist in me reacted to the sequencing, which by the way, even if it is "applied" live, takes the physical demand out of actually playing things like that bass part which repeats for so long and is quite challenging on the original piece.

But you are definitely correct that the general public would expect a "Tubular Bells" concert to sound just like the album, and the 2 guys do a great job of that, regardless of their means.

And no, what I said would not imply sounding just like the album, it would imply it sounding different to the album, which we already established the general public wouldn't want to hear- even though almost every performance Mike has done of TB was different than the album version as far as instrumentation and arrangement.

As far as sour grapes- that's just foolishness. I have no desire to put on that kind of show, nor could I hop from one instrument to the next if I wanted to. I wish the 2 guys the best, it seems they've been quite successful performing TB. And in the end, anyone that brings Mike's music to the public is doing a service to us all.
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbellsfortwo Offline

Posted: June 12 2012, 05:31

Hey GusFogle,
I promise you, no sequencers. Every single sound is produced live by our own hands and feet. Yes there's live looping, the show would be simply impossible without it. There is one sample triggered twice during part one: the ascending tape swell.
As for our musical careers, we are not doing Tubular Bells for fame, we are doing it because we love performing it and people keep asking us to play it. I assure you we are both living sustainable lifestyles as musicians in Australia, Tubular Bells aside.
Cheers,
Daniel
TB42
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: June 25 2012, 15:10

Just heard the 'Tubular Bells For Two' Edinburgh gig mentioned on the UK radio station Planet Rock. It's also on the website news page.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/tubular-bells-for-two/

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 29 2012, 04:24

Mike's stunning performance at the Olympic ceremony should be beneficial to this show in that it will have raised 'Tubular Bells' to new and exciting levels in the public conscience!
Good luck guys!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 19:07

ok, tickets booked :) Looking forward to seeing you guys live!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 19:52

You'll have a great time Matt, I hope your not the only one here going.

Anyone else who's umming and arrring ...just go..it's great.
Profile PM 
cAveMan Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 03:47

I would surely go if I wasn't born in the wrong part of the world :D
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 04:10

This will have to do then Cave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQCg_0pRsB8
Profile PM 
cAveMan Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 06:20

Already seen the video, seems magnificent. Too bad there isn't a video with full performance out there...
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 18:40

Wow :O That was stunningly good!

Near capacity crowd. Standing ovation. Everything others have already said and more about how good they are. I'll try and pop some more thoughts together tomorrow. Think we were the only ones there with kids ;) maybe we have the record for youngest audience member? Oh, and yes, the kids loved it too!

--------------
Profile PM 
Bag O'Secrets Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 13:16

I'll second Matt's "Wow  :O ".  Saw TB for 2 last night and it was absolutely superb. Two very talented individuals indeed!  We were near the front but it seemed nearly full. No standing ovation but certainly enthusiastic applause.

Great night all in and well worth making the effort if, as Milamber said, you're swithering about going.

Well done guys!  :D

--------------
...and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Chew-bew-lar Bells.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2012, 07:29

And it's not just us that think they are good. Currently in joint first place in the lists review guide after *three* 5 star reviews  :D

SEE IT!

--------------
Profile PM 
51 replies since May 30 2012, 05:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net