Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells are Chakras, In My Opinion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 29 2018, 05:50

I have a theory that the Tubular Bells albums represent the Hindu chakras, in which case there should ultimately be 7 Tubular Bells albums (or even more, if the minor chakras, such as Hrit, are included). In the first Tubular Bells album we hear the bass guitar writhing of Kundalini, which you would expect to be associated with the Root Chakra (number 1); and Tubular Bells 3 has all the power and strength associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra. Svadhishthana, the Sacral Chakra, is number 2 and is represented by a six-petalled flower. It is associated with water (cf the Venetian Effect), emotion, and sexual desire. Clearly the person who posted the video below of "The Bell" was thinking along these lines, as we see a six-sided box that ultimately explodes with what James Joyce might call "phallopyrotechnics"  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....U20P7aU

Anyway, the above is just a theory; but my prediction is that when TB4 comes out, it will be about the Heart Chakra, that is, love.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2018, 14:55

When Mike wrote snd recorded Tubular Bells, he probably didn’t know what a chakra is. Then of course the albums can still represent certain things to you personally, without having been conceived with that in mind.

I think Mike has explained several times his own thinking behind the decisiob to re-visit the TB theme. Chakra not being part of as far as I know! :P

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2018, 18:07

Quote (larstangmark @ Dec. 01 2018, 14:55)
When Mike wrote snd recorded Tubular Bells, he probably didn’t know what a chakra is.

At what stage do you think he became aware of them? Certainly he went "7 no trumps" with Hinduism later, eg, "Shiva" in QE2 (which was clearly what "Sheba" was about all along), the images of Shakti skulking about in  Tr3s Lunas (the game), and the Hindu references in TB3 (the vocals in "The Source of Secrets" are by "Amar" - which is Rama backwards. Dear oh dear oh dear!  :laugh: ) And what about "Amarok", which is "KO Rama" backwards. Shiva is certainly getting stuck into poor old Rama/Vishnu in Mike's back catalogue!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 15 2019, 07:10

I've just noticed that the introductory cartoon saying "We demand the next sleeve be designed by Hans Cleeson" has a sheet saying "Tubular Bells 5". That would be the throat chakra, Vishuddha. Of course it's interesting that it's 5, not 4, that is mentioned - implying Tubular Bells 4 has alreadu been written. Perhaps it has been written, and Mike simply chooses to keep it for himself. Artists do do things like that. :cool:
Profile PM 
3 replies since Nov. 29 2018, 05:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net