Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 50th Anniversary Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 01 2023, 11:49

You can pre-order Tubular Bells 50th Anniversary Edition, t-shirts, and prints at Recordstore.co.uk. It will be released May 26th, 2023. This edition contains a new half-speed Abbey Road master of the original album, Tubular X, that Mike recorded in 1998 for an X-Files album, Tubular Beats (Mike Oldfield and York remix) from 2013, the original Mike Oldfield’s Single (Theme From Tubular Bells) and Tubular Bells/In Dulci Jubilo (Music for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games). Also included is a brand new eight-minute track Tubular Bells 4 Intro, which is the last thing recorded by Mike having decided not to continue the Tubular Bells 4 project.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 01 2023, 12:18

Quote (Olivier @ April 01 2023, 11:49)
Also included is a brand new eight-minute track Tubular Bells 4 Intro, which is the last thing recorded by Mike having decided not to continue the Tubular Bells 4 project.

I'm not complaining, but it seems like a very odd move do abandon the project, and happily release a demo from it.

I don't know if Mike has a record deal at the moment, or if he is releasing this himself.

If he going to to TB4 for Virgin/EMI, it's possible that they had complaints about his demos, and that Mike lost interest as a consequence. I see that a possible scenario.
They could very well have told him that VR and multi track music players is not exactly in vogue in the music business, and that he ought to record a proper album instead.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ShikiGami Offline

Posted: April 01 2023, 15:09

I remember back in 2017 that Mike actually made a post about how happy and excited he was about how TB4 was going to pan out after completing the demo intro to it, which I believe is what is going to be released here, not to mention that in multiple interviews he stated that he wanted to continue to compose music in Bahamas and not just to rot away.

The way I see it is, Mike was posting regularly to the MikeOldfieldPersonal group until 2018, when all of the sudden he stopped posting much of anything, a pattern that has continued from there on, posting mostly just promotional stuff, and last year he made a post about the number of people who joined the MikeOldfieldOfficial group.

It does seem that something happened back in 2018, but because there has been absolutely no communication or press release at all about it, it is probably something personal.

It's really sad to hear at this point that Mike retired probably back in 2018, and to think that this demo is the last piece of music we will ever hear from him, and I only hope that nothing really bad happened in his personal life for this to have happened, and I just hope he spend his retired life as happy and fulfilled as posible.

I, as I think most of his fans were, was hoping to hear this TB4 album he talked much about years ago, and I'm happy that at the very least we will get a taste of what he was cooking.

Mike Oldfield's music changed my life in very positive ways, and for that I'm going to be forever grateful. Thanks for everything Mike.
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: April 01 2023, 16:45

Quote (ShikiGami @ April 01 2023, 15:09)
It does seem that something happened back in 2018, but because there has been absolutely no communication or press release at all about it, it is probably something personal.

My intuition tells me it was likely something political, spiritual, religious, and cosmological rather than physical (ie a medical illness) that shifted his focus.  A lot of long-buried "truths" about the world, its actual nature both physical and spiritual, emerged in a major way around 2017/2018 and knowing that Mike Oldfield was always a person very much at the vanguard of new developments in culture of all kinds, he was likely very aware of this.  Some of these "revelations" pertain directly to his old mate/foe Richard Branson.

Put it this way.  Branson's "Virgin Orbital" folded and laid off 1000 staff the same day that TB 50th anniversary and Mike's retirement were made public.  This all goes back to Mike's statements": "Big brown beastie big brown face, I'd rather be with you than flying through space".

"Some find it strange to be here
On this small planet in who knows where"

Clearly even in his early twenties Mike questioned the spinning globe earth/heliocentrism/earth as a planet/spacemen & spaceships on the Moon etc. doctrines of "science" which Branson obviously milked for a long time with his Ponzi-like fraudulent Virgin Orbital and Galactic corporations, which have now fallen apart like the houses of cards they always were.  Thus it seems obvious that around 2017/18 not long after Return to Ommadawn released, Mike fully discovered the truth of the "spinning heliocentric globe planet-Earth & space travel" hoax/deception/blunder and this doubtless profoundly altered his motivation and focus.

Of course most can't accept this narrative because they still firmly believe "the earth" is a spinning ball, "this small planet in who knows where, flying through space" (lyrics from On Horseback) and that there are brave & heroic spacemen in spaceships flying through space.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: April 01 2023, 20:20

There seems something oddly passive aggressive about this but from UMC’s Press Release:

“ Mike Oldfield retired from releasing music in 2018, after giving up touring many years previously. In the months after his last album, Return To Ommadawn in 2017, Oldfield toyed with going the whole way and making a fourth and final instalment of Tubular Bells in time for its 50th anniversary. Work began in earnest, and Mike felt he had finally cracked the secret of being able to successfully return to and rework the opening motif. A fascinating eight-minute taster was sent to his A&R team. And then, nothing. Mike decided against continuing. Five years later, this final paragraph of the Tubular Bells story is being released as part of this 50th anniversary celebration.”

Anyone else sense bitterness?!
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 01 2023, 21:32

Quote (Olivier @ April 01 2023, 11:49)
the last thing recorded by Mike having decided not to continue the Tubular Bells 4 project.

Apart from the press release, where does Mike Oldfield actually say this? If he "lost interest" in the TB4 project, why is he suddenly "interested" in releasing it now? In any case, he can always change his mind. I've seen an interview where he says he wakes up with melodies in his mind... Presumably if a TB4 appropriate melody materializes in the wee hours he's not going to say "shut up - I'm trying to sleep!"  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 01 2023, 21:37

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ April 01 2023, 16:45)
Put it this way.  Branson's "Virgin Orbital" folded and laid off 1000 staff the same day that TB 50th anniversary and Mike's retirement were made public.  

Yes, but their rocket crashed! (Not so much "Cosmic Girl" as "Comic Girl" - take out that "S") Are you saying Mike Oldfield was responsible?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 01 2023, 21:50

Quote (Platinumpty @ April 01 2023, 20:20)
There seems something oddly passive aggressive about this but from UMC’s Press Release:

“ Mike Oldfield retired from releasing music in 2018,

Coincidentally - pace Milamber - Project System 12 also stopped in 2018.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: April 02 2023, 00:04

Quote (nightspore @ April 01 2023, 21:37)
Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ April 01 2023, 16:45)
Put it this way.  Branson's "Virgin Orbital" folded and laid off 1000 staff the same day that TB 50th anniversary and Mike's retirement were made public.  

Yes, but their rocket crashed! (Not so much "Cosmic Girl" as "Comic Girl" - take out that "S") Are you saying Mike Oldfield was responsible?  :laugh:

Anything to do with "outer space" "space rockets" "spacemen explorers" "spaceships" etc is mostly all fiction and scripted and make believe, the crash that you mentioned was almost certainly staged as a pretext for Virgin getting out of the entire fake Ponzi scheme that the "space industry" is.  Branson is responsible for having gotten involved and gone along with the madness, but certainly the uncanny truth of the lyrics of "On Horseback" will have been echoing through his soul for the last 5 decades and at this demise of his "galactic space business" I fancy that he would very much rather be on horseback and that would be nicer than flying through space on this small so called planet in who knows where, and he may even find the current situation "strange and full of fear".
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 02 2023, 04:40

"A fascinating eight-minute taster was sent to his A&R team. And then, nothing. Mike decided against continuing."

I find this quote strange, does that mean he got no response to the 8 minute taster? and so he gave because of that?

After RTO did really well, I though things were looking up for Mike again, and we would be getting more from him, particularly as he mentioned TB4 so much.

It will be interesting to see if he gives any interviews about the 50th anniversary, as it will be good to see him in the flesh.
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: April 02 2023, 09:18

I read, that Mike was working on a new album, which included songs and it was in its early stages. Futhermore he was planning on a tour i 2024. Don´t know if there is reality in it, bt it might had changed his opion on TB. In my opion anything else than a new TB is good news, since i think, TB has gone as far, as Mike can take it
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 02 2023, 09:39

If you read that yesterday, it was probably an April fool ;)
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: April 02 2023, 13:24

I didn´t read it yesterday, but a couple of weeks ago
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: April 02 2023, 18:47

He still has a track scheduled to release as part of Tarja Turunen's Outlander series, in fact the next song is due to appear in 3 days' time and since there are only 2 artists of the 10 slated to have not released their collaboration yet then its a 50% chance that the next one, due this week, is Mike's. Somehow of course I don't think it will be and his one if it ever releases at all might not be for another long while. Also the quality of the tracks in the series has not been particularly great in my opinion so even Mike's one may not be all that interesting.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 02 2023, 22:59

Quote (falk @ April 02 2023, 13:24)
I didn´t read it yesterday, but a couple of weeks ago

Where?
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: April 03 2023, 01:51

on the odd page on the internet. It says he has been working on a record with new songs and a number of them has been put to tape. Its all very secret for now, but he is planning going on tour after the record is released. Off course its only a romour for now, but that puts the new TB to rest
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 03 2023, 11:04

He will never go on tour again.  :/
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: April 03 2023, 13:01

Quote (manintherain @ April 03 2023, 11:04)
He will never go on tour again.  :/

If he did then surely this is the year he would do it given that's it's the 50th anniversary of TB!
Profile PM 
Bonxie Offline

Posted: April 03 2023, 15:36

Falk, I suspect what you read about a new album, putting songs to tape and a 2024 tour was on Mediamass.net, which is full of fabricated drivel masquerading as ironic satire.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 03 2023, 23:09

Quote (falk @ April 03 2023, 01:51)
on the odd page on the internet.

Matter of fact, they're all odd  :laugh:
Profile PM 
56 replies since April 01 2023, 11:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net