Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 50th Anniversary Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2023, 20:14

Quote (nightspore @ April 02 2023, 13:50)
“ Mike Oldfield retired from releasing music in 2018,[/quote]
Coincidentally - pace Milamber - Project System 12 also stopped in 2018.

I did what now ?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 12 2023, 21:50

You once informed me "there are no coincidences" - although you hastily backpedalled later.

BTW Colarnel, what are your thoughts on the forthcoming TB4 excerpt?
Profile PM 
Arkadiusz Offline

Posted: April 14 2023, 06:03

And what do you think about "a brand new half-speed Abbey Road master of the original album"...? How many more "new" mixes and masters of TB will we receive...? Come 100th anniversary and one will need a wardrobe to keep all the CDc and vinyls  :D In my opinion the only explainable "new" version of TB is the 2009 Mike's Bahamas mixes - first because it was Mike's personal engagement, and secondly it REALLY gave us a fresh look into the album. It seems that the only piece of the 50th anniverasary edition which is worth listening to is... the last thing ever recorded by Oldfield...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 14 2023, 22:50

Quote (Arkadiusz @ April 14 2023, 06:03)
And what do you think about "a brand new half-speed Abbey Road master of the original album"...? How many more "new" mixes and masters of TB will we receive...? Come 100th anniversary and one will need a wardrobe to keep all the CDc and vinyls  :D In my opinion the only explainable "new" version of TB is the 2009 Mike's Bahamas mixes - first because it was Mike's personal engagement, and secondly it REALLY gave us a fresh look into the album. It seems that the only piece of the 50th anniverasary edition which is worth listening to is... the last thing ever recorded by Oldfield...

Yet another sophisticated post from someone - Zak Radius - who, we are supposed to believe, is new to the forum.  A funny thing happened on the way to the forum? In the forum, more like. Don't be silly, Mike.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: April 16 2023, 00:20

I'm sure most will find it emotional and bittersweet as it will harken a pang of finality most of us don't want to believe..

To be honest i'd be more excited if the remasters continue as we never got anything past Discovery/KF.

Or forget about albums but put out some live concert footage or recordings and just release them digitally (and in high def for the audiophiles).

In the end Mike gave me a lifetime of musical goodness, This fan has no complaints and wishes him peace and long life xx
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 17 2023, 04:04

I agree with you Milamber, I hope he is well. The continuation of the deluxe editions would be good though, I was looking forward to The Wind Chimes and to Amarok.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 19 2023, 03:45

A continuation of the deluxe editions is what I hope for.

I have a feeling that there is unreleased material from 85-87. Around that time Mike was uncertain of his musical direction. He was still collaborating with other musicians. During the "Islands" sessions, he had Kevin Ayers, the Moerlen brothers, Björn J:son Lindh and Michael Cretu, Rick Fenn, Geoff Downes, Andy McKay (from Roxy Music) and Micky Moody (from Whitesnake, of all bands) come over to his studio. There must have been some jamming on, or some ideas never used.

There was also a tour planned, that never happened. I wonder if he got as far as doing Fairlight backing tracks.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: April 19 2023, 20:54

Quote (larstangmark @ April 19 2023, 03:45)
Micky Moody (from Whitesnake, of all bands)

Yeah does seem an odd fit but there's the Ossie Hoppe connection. There's a pic of Mike in a Whitesnake T shirt that I can't find now and most surprising to me is the interview where he says fans of Whitesnake might like his new album (Discovery). Not sure how he drew that comparison other than having a male tenor that could really belt it out.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 20 2023, 04:46

Quote (First_Excursion @ April 19 2023, 20:54)
[quote=larstangmark,April 19 2023, 03:45]There's a pic of Mike in a Whitesnake T shirt that I can't find now and most surprising to me is the interview where he says fans of Whitesnake might like his new album (Discovery). Not sure how he drew that comparison other than having a male tenor that could really belt it out.

I'm glad that someone other than me remembers this. In late -84 (I was 11), I bought my first ever music magazine, because there was an interview with Mike. There he said exactly this; "I think someone who likes Whitesnake, may enjoy my new album".

I was a bit confused. I knew all too well about Whitesnake and David Coverdale ("Slow and Easy" was a semi-hit in Sweden), and I didn't like it one bit. I couldn't understand how Mike would aim for something like that, and I still think it's an inadequate comparison.

But I guess that "Shadow on the Wall", "Discovery", "Magic Touch" and "See the Light" all flirt with the kind of hard rock/AOR that ruled the charts in the 80s. I just wasn't ready to hear someone say it then! :D

(Today, I have no problem with Whitesnake! I love Coverdale's voice, and "Trouble" is a fantastic album!;)

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Jeff Akhben Offline

Posted: April 22 2023, 10:16

TUBULAR BELLS 50th Blu-ray

I have just discovered that a Blu-ray is to be released by SuperDeluxeEdition (theSDEshop) but has already sold out.
I've seen NO news of this anywhere and I'm on all possible news services. SDE told me to go to the product page and join the waiting list.

As of today (22/4/23) this is not available anywhere else and I fully expect flipper scum to sell it at massively inflated prices on eBay.

The way I see it, the more names on the list, the better chance of a repress.

Link below.

https://www.thesdeshop.com/collections/mike-oldfield
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: May 07 2023, 07:52

The Tubular Bells 4 intro track was posted under the youtube account "Unodel53", in case you want to have a listen.
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: May 07 2023, 11:22

Thanks for letting us know!

I agree with the comments that the first part with the TB arpeggio sounds a bit fan-made. It also sounds like a loop, and slightly out of time because of the looping. In my opinion Sentinel and Music of the Spheres had more original variations to the original.

But the gem in the whole track cannot be found on the Single Edit part, but what follows next. The mandolin section is the Mike I know and truly like to hear!

The Fast Guitars section starts off a bit dark and messy, but when the main melody kicks in, it gets brighter and ordered. And again, this is the Mike I like: creating beautiful layered melodies out of cleverly composed chaos. :)

The piano coda is just what it is... It sounds like the end titles of a movie. In this case the end of the movie 'Mike Oldfield's Career'. It ends very melancholic, and I can almost see a slow motion slideshow of Mike's faces during the various concerts he's been performing, to celebrate and remember his majestic career.

Mike, thank you for the music!
*deep bow*  :)

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
Arkadiusz Offline

Posted: May 10 2023, 01:20

Quote (oldfield_fan @ May 07 2023, 07:52)
The Tubular Bells 4 intro track was posted under the youtube account "Unodel53", in case you want to have a listen.

What are the guys saying? Anyone speaking Spanish?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 10 2023, 02:02

Quote (Happy? @ May 07 2023, 11:22)
I agree with the comments that the first part with the TB arpeggio sounds a bit fan-made. It also sounds like a loop, and slightly out of time because of the looping.

One thing I noticed is that the bass guitar track is looped. The same slight errors occur over and over, and the bass has that characteristic stutter at the beginning of the loop.
I love most things about the TB4 intro, but Mike has been getting lazy over the years. Getting a bass track like this right without looping is tedious work, but it sounds much better if you take that time.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Happy? Offline

Posted: May 10 2023, 10:20

I don't notice slight errors in the bass line, but the 2nd piano melody sounds looped and every loop it kicks in the same and slightly out of time.

Oh, and, the tubular bells sound exactly like the samples used in the TB 2009 mix Finale. These samples were taken from other parts of the original TB.

But well, since it's supposed to be a demo track, I won't complain.

Oh wait... :p

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 10 2023, 22:35

So Mike is sampling himself? Ooer...  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 11 2023, 14:38

Quote (nightspore @ May 10 2023, 22:35)
So Mike is sampling himself? Ooer...  :laugh:

Oo-er!  He can't do that! But wait, he has only been sampling and referencing his own previous works from album to album, track to track across his entire career.  We better cancel the whole Islands album and especially Wind Chimes Part 2.  We better cancel the last part of Return to Ommadawn where the original children's vocal of On Horseback is sampled.

Naughty, naughty Michael.  And on a DEMO too...! I'd expect something like this on the final cut, mixed, mastered version...but on a DEMO?*

*ED ..wait..."DEMO"? Do I see those letters M and O again :laugh: busted!!

Final thought: just now you were complaining that the track is called "Tubular Bells IV Intro" whilst, according to you (wrongly, as it turns out; surprise, surprise), not featuring any tubular bells; and then here again you are complaining that it DOES feature tubular bells.  Ooh...err... umm..hmmm.

Really final thought: you might also want to look into the history of artists sampling their own work - believe it or not, it does happen.  I'll get you started with the most famous example; Robert Plant "Tall Cool One" which samples a whole swag of Led Zeppelin riffs.  King Crimson are "guilty" of the same as are dozens of other artists including the likes of Beastie Boys, Eric B. & Rakim and others besides.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: May 11 2023, 19:42

Mike posted on FB (Or those running his account)
"More Soon" in regards to the 50th Album.
Not sure if this meant more music or more formats ect of the album.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 11 2023, 20:12

Quote (Milamber @ May 11 2023, 19:42)
Mike posted on FB (Or those running his account)
"More Soon" in regards to the 50th Album.
Not sure if this meant more music or more formats ect of the album.

It says no such thing lol. What it says (the latest posting) is:

"The brand new Tubular Bells 4 Intro may well be the last thing ever recorded by Mike Oldfield. Following Mike’s last album, Return To Ommadawn in 2017, Oldfield toyed with going the whole way and making a fourth and final instalment of Tubular Bells in time for its 50th anniversary. An eight-minute taster was sent to his A&R team. And then, nothing more. Mike decided against continuing.
Five years later, this final paragraph of the Tubular Bells story is being released as part of the 50th anniversary celebration. Listen to the track now".

The only glimmer of possibility of more music from that is that it reads "it may well be the last thing ever recorded by MO" instead of if it had read "this will definitely be the last thing ever recorded by MO".
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 12 2023, 04:07

I think the "more soon" quote was posted before all the info and release of the TB4 track.
Profile PM 
56 replies since April 01 2023, 11:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net