Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 50th Anniversary Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 12 2023, 11:25

I wonder if there's really any money in making albums any more, if you don't play live?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Elf Offline

Posted: May 15 2023, 03:39

Quote (larstangmark @ May 12 2023, 11:25)
I wonder if there's really any money in making albums any more, if you don't play live?

If you are on Taylor Swift's level, there certainly is. For other artists it's certainly viable, and something to make income out of, but touring and licensing your music for use in films and commercials is where the real money lies. People would be surprised to learn how many pretty big artists do either jobs on the side, or private gigs for rich corporations or people.

Another way to really rake in the cash it to sell either your publishing rights or your entire catalogue. The latter means you will still get royalties for other recordings of your songs. I don't know if Mike has done this, but considering the fact that he will neither release new music, nor tour anymore, I would be very surprised if he hasn't done this. Artists much bigger han him has certainly done this.

As for TB4, I'm not surprised that he cancelled it. There is a limit on how many variations you can do out of those same notes. I see some people in this thread have speculated that it was the record company who pulled the plug on it, but I find it very hard to believe that they weren't seeing dollar signs when Mike told them he would do TB4. Musical integrety means nothing to them, so they would have released anything as long as they could call it TB4.

As for the TB4 demo, I think it's just as I expected. Nothing special. However, I quite like the second part of it, the part that is NOT included in the single edit that's on YouTube (with a lousy video) and on Spotify. The full eight minute version is better, especially the last 3-4 minutes. There's some beautiful stuff going on there, and I wish Mike would do an album out of that, and not call it TB. RTO was actually surprisingly successful.

And no: Mike had no plans for an album with songs, and he certainly wouldn't be making plans for a tour. I interviewed Mike for almost two hours when he released RTO, and he said he regarded the Olympic Ceremony in London in 2012 as a fitting end to his live career.

According to, Jerry Ewing, the editor of PROG magazine, they decided to make Oldfield PROG God in 2017. But when they called him, Mike asked if he had to come to London for that. He'd rather do it by Skype from Bahamas. Ewing thought Mike was really ungrateful and basically told Mike to intercourse himself. Ewing told me this himself during Yes' 50th anniversary celebrations in London in April 2018.

I've heard rumours of Mike being sick, and the cough he has in interviews from 2017 doesn't sound very good. Someone said he posted something on his official Facebook group in 2018 that he was in the hospital, but that it was very quickly deleted. I don't know, because among a ton of other fans, I was banned from his FB group, without any explanation in 2018, after sharing the interview I did with him. Actually, he (or the ones running his social media) have banned so many that they gathered together in their own group. Several people on the Amarok mailing list have been banned as well.

Personally I think RTO was a beautiful coda to go out on. I don't think I will be buying the 50th anniversary edition. I bought the last huge box set, and with the economy being what it is, I don't quite see the point. Apart from the TB4 excerpt, I have everything included in the box set already.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 15 2023, 12:29

Quote (Elf @ May 15 2023, 03:39)
As for TB4, I'm not surprised that he cancelled it. There is a limit on how many variations you can do out of those same notes. I see some people in this thread have speculated that it was the record company who pulled the plug on it, but I find it very hard to believe that they weren't seeing dollar signs when Mike told them he would do TB4.

What if Mike delivered the a short demo, the label said "You have to make it more like this..", and Mike said "Fuck you" and pulled the plug?
Releasing it isn't an option, if it's not there.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Stellar Code Offline

Posted: May 26 2023, 05:40

I come here a bit late. Half century has passed, then I registered here. Love Mike Oldfield's music forever!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 26 2023, 22:32

Welcome! Broken English is de rigueur for Mike Oldfield himself writing under an alias.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 26 2023, 22:37

Quote (nightspore @ May 26 2023, 22:32)
Welcome! Broken English is de rigueur for Mike Oldfield himself writing under an alias.

Why do you accuse every single person on this website of being Mike Oldfield?  If I didn't know better I would suspect that as a red herring thrown out by Mike himself.  That really is you, isn't it Michael :D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 27 2023, 11:28

Quote (Stellar Code @ May 26 2023, 10:40)
I come here a bit late. Half century has passed, then I registered here. Love Mike Oldfield's music forever!

Better late than never, welcome.

I have listened to the full TB 4 demo now, a few times, I really like it, the first 4 minutes is similar to the original, which is ok with me, it is a sequel after all, but the 2nd half is really amazing, it has some gorgeous Oldfield melodies and playing, it has echoes of some of his other music, but then that has always been the case with Mike, it is clearly meant as a demo too, as if saying, this is what the album could be like, just condensed into an 8 minute version, PLEASE Mike make the rest of it.

I am also so happy to have the Olympic games track too, I have wanted it for years, but didn't want to buy the whole album with all the other music, which I wasn't interested in, so this is great, I love the track too.

I am yet to listen to the Blu-ray stuff, but hopefully this week.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 28 2023, 22:36

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ May 26 2023, 22:37)
Quote (nightspore @ May 26 2023, 22:32)

Why do you accuse every single person on this website of being Mike Oldfield?  If I didn't know better I would suspect that as a red herring thrown out by Mike himself.  That really is you, isn't it Michael :D

Hi
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: May 30 2023, 07:17

Quote (larstangmark @ May 15 2023, 12:29)
Quote (Elf @ May 15 2023, 03:39)
As for TB4, I'm not surprised that he cancelled it. There is a limit on how many variations you can do out of those same notes. I see some people in this thread have speculated that it was the record company who pulled the plug on it, but I find it very hard to believe that they weren't seeing dollar signs when Mike told them he would do TB4.

What if Mike delivered the a short demo, the label said "You have to make it more like this..", and Mike said "Fuck you" and pulled the plug?
Releasing it isn't an option, if it's not there.

If the situation was like you describe, it would still be Mike who pulled the plug on it.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 31 2023, 03:18

According to the Official Charts in the UK, Tubular Bells is on course to enter the album charts at number 9 which would be an amazing thing, both for a 50 year old album and for Mike as an artist, it shows just how popular he still is.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 04 2023, 16:44

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ May 31 2023, 03:18)
According to the Official Charts in the UK, Tubular Bells is on course to enter the album charts at number 9 which would be an amazing thing, both for a 50 year old album and for Mike as an artist, it shows just how popular he still is.

Today's top 40 UK albums looks very  much like the year 1980.  You have Elton John at 10, Fleetwood Mac at 11, ABBA at 16, Tina Turner at 17, Mike Oldfield at 18, Michael Jackson at 24, Queen at 25, Fleetwood Mac again at 29, Tina Turner again at 32, Bob Marley at 34, (with Whitney Houston and Elvis Presley at 41 & 42 respectively).  With respect to Mike, cracking that isn't a whole lot of an accomplishment...specially when all the "new" and contemporary entries sound like indistinguishable AI generated materials (I can't bring myself to call it music) from a dreary assortment of Ed Sheeran, Drake and Beyonce clones.  Also these days for an album to chart in the top 5 it literally only has to sell a matter of literally a few thousand copies and most of those digital purchases if not mere "album-equivalent" streams (im not even sure what that means) - a far cry from when you had to sell a million physical vinyl or compact discs and cassettes from actual High Street stores to get a proper number 1 gold record.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 05 2023, 03:52

I think it is an achievement from Mike, an album that is 50 years old from an artist that has never really been in vogue, and an instrumental album!! Add to that, he is now an artist that has retired from releasing new music with not a great deal of promotion.
Profile PM 
rower40 Offline

Posted: June 14 2023, 13:28

Quote (larstangmark @ May 15 2023, 12:29)

He'd probably do it in Morse code about 3/4 of the way through a 60-minute single track album.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 14 2023, 22:42

Oh Cadswallop. Mike owns the media organization that is responsible for the charts and got them to print that. Fake, fake, fake.

Mr O is a far, far better businessman than anyone knows (the world's first trillionaire, in fact - there you go, Mike, recognition at last). A car called "Amarok" and a record called "Amarok" a coincidence? Baloney, and tell it to the marines and other such phrases.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 15 2023, 17:41

Quote (nightspore @ June 14 2023, 22:42)

Oh Cadswallop. Mike owns the media organization that is responsible for the charts and got them to print that. Fake, fake, fake.

Mr O is a far, far better businessman than anyone knows (the world's first trillionaire, in fact - there you go, Mike, recognition at last). A car called "Amarok" and a record called "Amarok" a coincidence? Baloney, and tell it to the marines and other such phrases.

Baloney on every count, to wit:

Regarding your first claim:

"The Official Albums Chart, previously the UK Albums Chart, is a list of albums ranked by sales and audio streaming in the United Kingdom. It was published for the first time on 22 July 1956 and is compiled every week by the Official Charts Company (OCC) on Fridays (previously Sundays)".  

"The OCC is operated jointly by the British Phonographic Industry and the Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA) (formerly the British Association of Record Dealers (BARD)) and is incorporated as a private company limited by shares jointly owned by BPI and ERA".

In other words, not owned by Mike Oldfield.

For the origins of the name Amarok, we find:

For the pick up (whose name exists since 2010): "The name Amarok, referencing a wolf deity in Inuit mythology, was chosen by brand marketing consultants Interbrand; Interbrand also claims the name is associated with the phrase "he loves stones" in Romanic languages in an attempt to allude to the all-terrain performance of the vehicle."

For the album, named a full 20 years before the vehicle: "Of the album's name, Oldfield has said: "It doesn't have a real meaning but it's similar to many Gaelic words, like those for morning or happy. And if you split the letters up, you get Am-a-rok... it could mean: am a rock. Maybe that implies I don't want to change anything by following trends."

Do you also claim that Mike Oldfield the brilliant trillionaire businessman organized for some reason for Coldplay's lousy 2021 album to be called "Music of the Spheres"?

As for trillionaires, the only trillionaires in the world are the Goldman-Sachs-Rothschilds, i.e., the Jewish international banking families who essentially own 90% of the world's wealth -just by virtue of owning and controlling the Federal Reserve (which isn't federal and holds no reserves, rather conjures "fiat" aka Monopoly money out of proverbial thin air), Rothschild are trillionaires several times over; never mind the Bank for International Settlements, World Bank, International Monetary Fund etc.  In fact whenever you see the term "foreign debt" associated with any country, you can read "in hock to Mr Rothschild and sons".  Mike G. Oldfield is a moderately well off gentleman, when it comes to millionaires, but he is certainly not an international Jewish banker hence not a trillionaire.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 26 2023, 10:09

I doubt I will be buying the new anniversary edition as I already have the original, Boxed, and 2009 editions, but what I will be doing is buying a download of Mike Oldfield's Single which has now been issued in full rather than the 2009 remix edit.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 27 2023, 17:38

I am intrigued to hear David Kosten's Dolby Atmos mix of the album, but I don't currently have anything that can play it.

I saw an article in Sound on Sound magazine about it - it's free to read this month, but you have to register.
Profile PM 
56 replies since April 01 2023, 11:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net