Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 4 Intro (edit)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2023, 02:22

I am waiting until I receive my official CD copy to listen to this, and the Olympics track, which I am very much looking forward to.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 10 2023, 18:59

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ May 10 2023, 02:22)
I am waiting until I receive my official CD copy to listen to this, and the Olympics track, which I am very much looking forward to.

You have supernatural patience and self-control...reminds me of my brother who would save Easter eggs and slowly eat them all through the remainder of the year, making everyone else jealous.  You're not really missing out on anything that earth-shattering except minutes 3:56-5:11 from when the acoustic guitar first comes in, up to the start of "fast guitars" - THAT singular, deathless, brief passage is as good, as magical, enthralling, and rapturous as anything else the artist has ever recorded; in a way it is the perfect summation of his whole body of work; it arguably encapsulates everything from the very first album all the way up to the last, Return to Ommadawn; those notes alone makes this piece probably the ideal coda for his remarkable career.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 10 2023, 22:52

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ May 09 2023, 15:56)
Anyway someone on YouTube as was inevitable posted the whole thing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSKat1-iCkQ

Which of course I don't approve of since it's against copyright, illegal, immoral, disrespectful to the artist and all that, but it's inevitable these days so there it is.

Oh fiddle-dee-dee, it was obviously posted by Mike himself, who wanted to get the music "out there" quickly. Anyway, I thought it was very good; after the radical departure in style of TB3, it represents a return to the feel of the original.

The youtube image echoes my comments here about the tubular bells arms being the hands of a clock, because the title is "Tubular Bells IIII", not "Tubular Bells IV". The only time 4 is written as "IIII" is on clock faces. The curvy big image of the 4 looks like a circle that has reluctantly been turned into a 4!.

As I say I'd be most surprised if more instalments don't follow.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 11 2023, 00:46

Quote (nightspore @ May 10 2023, 22:52)

Oh fiddle-dee-dee, it was obviously posted by Mike himself, who wanted to get the music "out there" quickly. Anyway, I thought it was very good; after the radical departure in style of TB3, it represents a return to the feel of the original.

The youtube image echoes my comments here about the tubular bells arms being the hands of a clock, because the title is "Tubular Bells IIII", not "Tubular Bells IV". The only time 4 is written as "IIII" is on clock faces. The curvy big image of the 4 looks like a circle that has reluctantly been turned into a 4!.

As I say I'd be most surprised if more instalments don't follow.

Incorrect; it was posted by one Misko Creativo, a nothing channel who otherwise focuses on Formula 1 car racing news of all things, garnering 10 views per video - definitely not associated with Mike Oldfield. After all, anyone at all could have recorded the stream of the track from Amazon Music in any number of ways then converted it to mp4 and uploaded it to YouTube.

There is no question of Mike Oldfield wanting to get this recording "out there quickly" considering it is now, we hear, 5 going on 6 years since it was recorded - there is nothing "quickly" about waiting 6 years to release anything.  Compare that to the lore surrounding the album Revolver for instance - we are told the entire thing was written, arranged, recorded, packaged and released within about 45 days! Lol. (Of course, that narrative is completely unbelievable).  Now THERE'S an example of music being released quickly.  Even better, Ultravox released a live version of "All Fall Down" on 10 November 1986 - on physical vinyl format, too, not merely uploaded as cyberbits of digital information - less than 48 hours after it was performed and recorded at Wembley Stadium.  No need to wait 6 years if you really want to release your music. to the public.  Also, there is no sense in an artist or label who has announced a release date for their album, and is collecting preorders, to undercut the process and simply publish it for free on a streaming service. (Granted, it can be streamed for free on Amazon Music, but as faar as I can tell that requires an Amazon Prime account to log in and listen, and moreover there is no option to download and save, like is easy to do on YouTube, which has no kind of similar paywall or need for any kind of account even to listen and download videos/audio). Hence the tease of the "edited" version which was definitely uploaded by the official Mike Oldfield channel.  Why on earth would they release a teaser version on the official channel, and then  a week later on some sundry obscure racing car channel, release the complete track?  That's just crazy talk.

As for the copyright thing, the fact is that the upload was, as the uploader informed me, blocked in Russia and glorious nation of Belarus on the grounds of copyright infringement and if there was any justice it really would be blocked everywhere.  Of course, it's ultimately the owner who has the responsibility to make any claims, but often they have neither the time nor inclination to chase up such things.  The biggest issue perhaps for me is that YouTube/(=Google) has a very profitable business model whereby they can sell billions of dollars worth of advertising space on illegally uploaded videos that they know perfectly well are being hosted in violation of the law, but so long as the rights holder don't challenge it, they have no compulsion to not make money off it - and worse still, the amateur account member who does the uploading, does all the work for them (YouTube/Google) and gets no reward himself!  It is nothing but a nice little (huge) racket that YouTube have got going on that works splendidly for them.

As for the "Tubular Bells IIII" nomenclature, the situation is much more simple than you suppose; it appears that our "Misko Creativo" was either simply having a little fun with it, or else perhaps he simply didn't know that four in Roman numerals is IV and not IIII.  Besides, Roman numeral clocks more often have IV for four, than IIII, so there is no special significance therein.

Finally, I would be very, very surprised if Mike Oldfield releases any more new music, let alone more recordings from the Tubular Bells IV   cycle; considering the official proclamations and the complete lack of any indication of anything to the contrary.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 11 2023, 07:02

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ May 11 2023, 00:46)
]
Incorrect; it was posted by one Misko

Of course, the fact that "Misko" begins with an M and ends with an O is a complete coincidence  :laugh:

Further thoughts: unless we actually hear tubular bells in the music, there's not much point in calling it "Tubular Bells IIII". A better name would be "Memories of Percussion Instruments", which on this forum we could refer to as MOPI. Ooh, those initials again  :O  :laugh:

Last thought: I know something "you" don't. (But of course you actually do.)
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 11 2023, 14:15

Quote (nightspore @ May 11 2023, 07:02)
Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ May 11 2023, 00:46)
]
Incorrect; it was posted by one Misko

Of course, the fact that "Misko" begins with an M and ends with an O is a complete coincidence  :laugh:

Further thoughts: unless we actually hear tubular bells in the music, there's not much point in calling it "Tubular Bells IIII". A better name would be "Memories of Percussion Instruments", which on this forum we could refer to as MOPI. Ooh, those initials again :laugh:

Last thought: I know something "you" don't. (But of course you actually do.)

The fact that the letters M and O exist, AND there is - "coincidentally"  an artist called Mike Oldfield - what more proof do you need.  Oooh, those letters M and O! Blatantly (according to your line of enquiry) the letters M and O can, surely, only exist in order to point toward and signify one phenomenon in the world: namely, the musician Michael Oldfield. Seems like you cracked the cosmic code...you fulfilled your MO! *

*Modus operandi...Ooh, those initials again!

Then again, for an alternate viewpoint here are just some of the ENGLISH (including Latin/Italian/Spanish-borrowed), 5 letters words (not even including personal names) that start with M and end in O (and note how many of these terms COINCIDENTALLY refer to MUSIC notation...see how the clues keep piling up! Ooer.)

Macho
Macro
Mambo
Mango
Matzo
Mento
Metro
Mezzo
Micro
Mimeo
Misdo
Molto
Mondo
Mongo
Morro
Mosso
Motto
Mucho
Mucro
Mungo

Now consider all the other length words, which come to be in the hundreds.  Next consider that Misko is a Slavic/Ukranian name, and then apply the analysis of how many Slavic/Ukranian words and personal names start with M and end in O; now consider all the Latin, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Creole, Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian, Maori, Tibetan, Eskimo, and every other language that feature the same arrangment - it will be in the thousands.  According to your rationale, each and every one of them will only be a secret code for the name of the composer Mike Oldfield.  :laugh:

Final thought: the record company itself, after the composer, has named the piece "Tubular Bells 4 Intro", because it was the planned opening movement from an intended album to be named "Tubular Bells IV" (Which this particular person who uploaded the pirated version for whatever reason, called "Tubular Bells IIII") which certainly would feature the tubular bells in parts of it, not necessarily in every single part of it.  Otherwise it would be like saying, supposing the 1812 Overture were named "The Cannon Suite" on account of the cannons heard at one point, that the cannons ought to be heard in every bar of the overture, otherwise the name is inappropriate.  But besides that and even more to the point - and here is my second final thought - at 4:46 to 4:50  we certainly DO hear the tubular bells being loudly, beautifully, plangently, resoundingly, triumphantly struck not once, not twice, but thrice.  Sir, did you even listen? :O :laugh:

Really final last thought: all the things that "you" have claimed to know - and I wish I didn't have to be so cruel - have been in the end nothing but the awkward, barely rational ravings - frankly - of someone precariously close to, if not already comfortably beyond, the edge of sanity and decency.
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: May 19 2023, 16:32

I've only listened to it a couple of times, and already it's made its way firmly into my head. Clearly not a finished product, yet kinda nice. Truer to the original than TB2 or TB3, which I also like (for different reasons). By making relatively small changes, Mike has found a way to give a new twist to his first opus. Too bad we'll probably never witness the end of this project!
Profile PM 
26 replies since May 04 2023, 16:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net