why is it so strange ??

and whats about this child talking in
TB3 (something about the man in the moon
and stuff, is this from a movie ??)
Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 04 2000, 12:49

These are the lyrics (by the way, there's a lyrics forum as well...)

Tubular Bells II
Altered State

Ha ha ha ha
What's go-in' on?
Where's your mum-my? Where's she gone?
Who's that dum-my? I don't know.
Are you dead mum-my? Don't think so.
Kin ke-se key ke-se
oh yee-hey oh yee-hey
Kin ke-se key ke-se
oh yee-hey oh yee-hey
Ah y-ay ah oh

I don't know
I don't know

Ow!
What's go-in'on?
Where's your mum-my? Where's she gone?
Why's that fun-ny? I don't know mummy.
I don't know. You dead mummy.
Kin ke-se key ke-se
oh yee-hey oh yee-hey
Kin ke-se key ke-se
oh yee-hey oh yee-hey
Ah y-ay ah oh

Tubular Bells III

Far Above The Clouds

And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells.

Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 04 2000, 16:36

I think it's so strange because it's a new version of the "piltdown man" section from TB1. There are many similarities like that, between TB1 and TB2.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
dirk Offline

Posted: April 04 2000, 17:19

yeahh, but whats about this guy talkin with this strange voice in TB2 ??? what does he say ?? just screamin' ?? I don't think so, and whats the background of this song. the
lyrics don't bring me any new idea :-((

and whats about this child-phrase in TB3 ???
just for fun speech-intermezzo or something
more ??
what will mike tell us ??
mabye their must'nt be a sense, but if there
is some, i wana know it :-))
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 04 2000, 18:53

Yes, the strange and screaming voices in Tubular Bells II are supposed to be the same as in Tubular Bells I. Mike wanted to sound like TB1, only like a second piece (like they do in movies).

He also did it in TB3, but it isn't that with the child, but with "Outcast". There you here
a guy (Mike?) talking and screaming. Does somebody hear what he says? Or just nonsense?

Blue Dolphin

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
cornofa Offline

Posted: April 05 2000, 12:01

Well, I just know who the master of ceremonies is on Tubular Bells II in 'The Bell':
Alan Rickman

Or am I completely wrong with that? :-/
Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 05 2000, 12:51

After a looong discussion about it, it seems that the voice is Outcast says "Out demon out".
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 06 2000, 04:36

After a looong discussion about it, it seems that the voice iN Outcast says "Out demon out".
Profile PM WEB 
msrmohr Offline

Posted: April 07 2000, 00:46

As Far as Sequels goes I think Mike pulled it off pretty good with TBII! It was like listening in on the Mike-In-the-Alternate-Universe-Next-Door was doing! TBII's Piltdown Man (even if you don't understand the lyrics is such fun to listen to!
Profile PM 
martinec Offline

Posted: April 07 2000, 14:19

The voice in "Outcast" says much more than you can hear because it's very deep bass and you have to have very good loudspeakers and amplifier to hear all he says.I heard it on very very good aparature and there is realy more than I hear at home but I still didn't understand it.I have to listen it more times.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 07 2000, 14:40

In Outcast 02:37 to 03:08, I hear 3 times "Out demon out". The voice has been manipulated: tuned down, or thru vocoder. In the intervalls between, there may (or may not) be more spoken words, hidden in the distorted guitars & synths.
I've seen Mike play that track live, and there weren't any words spoken (well, not spoken LIVE at least...)

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
martinec Offline

Posted: April 10 2000, 14:19

In TBIII video you can see (but not hear) on
the big TV that he doesn´t speak "out demon out" but something another.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 16 2000, 21:22

First off, Altered State - in case there's still any doubt, there is not mant to be any sense to what the 'Piltdown Man' voice says. It's purely screaming, being a sequel to the original which was just Mike screaming into a microphone after he came back from the pub one night (true!). The tape was run at half speed to get that effect, as far as I'm aware.

Secondly, Outcast. I listened carefully to this track on equipment of varying qualities, including an extremely high quality pair of headphones (which will reveal anything if it's there). After a fiddle around with it, boosting and cutting frequencies here and there, I'm fairly sure that it's 'Out demon out' that the voice says. There are a few odd sounds...most turn out to be reverb tails from low level percussion parts (there's an interesting popping type sound, possibly filtered, that creates some odd noises that can sound almost like whispering voices). There's is something that sounds like a very brief outburst of the voice at 01.44 - if it's there at all, then it only says a 1 syllable word. It's more likely that the guitars coming in, maybe accompanied by a slide on the bass, is fooling me here.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 17:26

Just want to make up a mistake:

Korgscrew, when Mike Oldfield recorded the "Piltdown Man" piece, he didn't came from a pub, but from a cellar which was flooded with water. He found a bottle of whiskey, drank half of it, ordered his enigeer to bring him to his studio and he screamed his lungs out to the tape. (he couldn't speak for two weeks then)

Or am I completey wrong? wink

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 20 2000, 19:25

Perhaps the truth is that Mike was so drunk that he can't remember where the whisky came from...
In 'The making of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells', Mike says "I remember we'd come back from the pub and I'd had half a bottle of whisky." The rest of it is the same as your version of the story...
Profile PM 
14 replies since April 03 2000, 17:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net