Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2009 remaster, so what do we all think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 10 2009, 09:07

@Ugo as a musician i agree with him doing stuff for himself.I wouldn't play something if i didn't like it and i certainly would not waste my time recording and releasing it.All i'm saying is it would have been nice to have 2 versions in the same way that we have both versions of the hornpipe.Have the original version on one cd and his 2009 version on another in whichever version you have.After all he wasn't happy with TB but in the box (which i haven't yet got but HMV still have some on the website)there's the original,the 1972 mix and both versions of (5.1 and stereo)of the 2009 mix.Would have been nice to have the choice.Lets be honest sets like this ARE for the fans.No-one is going to shell out £65+(or whatever the Euro equivelant is) if they are only casually interested.The Collection set and Deluxe set maybe but not the full on Ultimate set in much the same way as the Elements box set was aimed and fans and the single cd was a sampler.
 And for the record i am so glad Mike makes music for himself or we wouldn't have had so much good stuff.Amarok included! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 09:30

Oldfield does what Oldfield wants !
No suprises there.

Ive followed the mans music since 73 and have got most if not all 1970-80s recordings boots and all. But I dont follow the man . I dont care about the man(I dont mean that in a nasty way) and his way of life . But he never cares about the Fans who buy his music. I know he has his problems but total ignorance of his public is not on.
MCartney has remarsterd once, the Stones, well Ive lost count how many times they have,who cares for the fans more ?

It should be about the music he let us have and not about saying I dont like this any more so you cant have it either.

I rest my case.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 09:39

@ Caveman: I wouldn't really like to elongate this any more, but just let me state this: of course the Ultimate set is for fans and mostly for fans, but its content was not decided by fans (even if, IMHO, it should have been). It was decided by Universal and Mike. So it's their fault (I can't really blame one of the two, can I? :D) if we have a surplus of versions of TB and we have just one of M.O.'s Single and we have no Froggy. I guess Universal thought that since this was a re-release of Tubular Bells, it should be just Tubular Bells and nothing else. Then maybe Mike decided to add the Single to the Ultimate set as a bonus for us fans. So I don't think we should really complain about the sound of the new version of the Single. We should instead thank Mike for including it. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 09:57

Fairy Nuff.Not worth going on about really.Just an observation and healthy debate mate, :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 17:06

@ Caveman: ;) :). [Is there no smiley for "shaking hands"? I've seen something like it in various other boards... :D]

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 10 2009, 17:12

Quote (Ugo @ July 10 2009, 22:06)
@ Caveman: ;) :). [Is there no smiley for "shaking hands"? I've seen something like it in various other boards... :D]
Whens the wedding?  Am I invited? :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 04:42

Well i'd have to get a divorce first.Lol.

And i don't think there is a shaking hands symbol Ugo but i get your meaning :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 22:47

so i've been away from Mike for quite some time; and all of a sudden, i'm browsing on Amazon and i see another TB album?

and all it is is just regular Tubular Bells but w/ better sound quality? wasn't that the point of TB2003?!?!?!

Do i really need to buy a 5 CD set just to hear TB2003 and the original TB all over again?

considering i think Mike reached his prime for me with TB3 and TSODE, i really think the only reason i'd buy this would be just to add to the collection, and not for anything musically rendered.

hearing the samples on Amazon, it all sounds the same to me :/

edit*

holy crap its $170!?!?!?!?
http://www.amazon.com/Tubular....&sr=1-3

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 00:16

That's pretty much what 56.7% have said here. I think it's the best version. Same album but tweeked here and there. The rest I don't need. The LP, the "demos". You need to hear the whole 2009 reboot thru headphones(sennheiser $70+) to get the feeling it is better than the original.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 00:20

This is all you really need and it's $7.50.

http://www.amazon.com/Tubular....&sr=1-2

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 20:57

@ Jim. I've got that. The original. CDV 2001. 26 years old. Sounds like crap. :D As I said elsewhere, I have to really crank up the volume to hear the opening piano theme or the guitar at the end of part 1. With the 2009 version, at least I can keep the volume knob at a regular level. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2009, 23:49

That was the 2009 version.....

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2009, 07:13

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 09 2009, 05:49)
That was the 2009 version.....

Heh. So there goes my attention span, combined with Amazon's occasional carelessness. It looks just like CDV 2001. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2009, 13:56

Quote (spark @ July 10 2009, 07:43)
I am dreading what he will do to Omadawn ! Hes been threatening to 5.1 it for ages .

Now he is getting all the Virgin stuff back, will we get Pipe Tune from the Incantations sessions and Wrekorda Wondero.Will we get the original Sally from Platinum ?

Let Us Hope.

If he thinks Ommadawn in 5.1 lossy Dolby Digital is going to interest anyone I hope he's in for a nasty surprise.

Oldfield - don't bother doing any 5.1 mixes if they aren't LOSSLESS 5.1 MLP (DVD-A) or 24/96~24/192 (Blu-ray) or DSD (Super Audio CD).

Anything else when it comes to music is a waste of time.
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2009, 18:21

Hmm - a bit on the fence with this one.  So many versions already (already have Boxed), yet I am tempted for the 5.1 mix, the partial mix on 2003 was the bit I liked the best.

[edit]  Such willpower.  Sitting on my shelf along with the other 4 or 5 versions, or however many it is.  The booklet looks nice :)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 05:57

Quote (Ugo @ July 08 2009, 16:18)
There is no lossless mix on the DVD. There's a 5.1 DTS mix and a Dolby Digital stereo one.

Are you sure about this?  Plays as Dolby Digital 5.1 on my system, not DTS.

I have the 3 disc 'deluxe' set.

Other asides - love the 5.1 mix.  This has made the package worth a reissue for me.  Already had the 2 extra tracks off one of the rarities compilations floating about but happy enough with the remix job on both.

Hate the packaging - almost impossible to get disc 4 (of 3 - lol) out without scratching it - have relegated the '73 version to that part of the packaging.  Will listen to this last, can anyone advise if this is the original '73 mix or a remaster from the Virgin reissue series?

I wish that whoever did the DVD had made 'Play All' the default on the menu.  I hate having to power up the projector to see if the remote registered my menu choice correctly - if not it stops after Part 1 - very poor choice for a DVD that is most often going to be used for listening not viewing.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 18:45

Quote (trcanberra @ Aug. 22 2009, 11:57)

Hello, Tony [is that your name? I'm not sure...]. If by "Deluxe set" you mean the Ultimate Edition, including the vinyl album, well, the DVD I have has got a DTS 5.1 stream and a DD stereo (not 5.1) one, selectable from a menu page before the proper menu, which does not feature the same graphics as the rest of the DVD - basically it features the DTS and DD logos at the top, and a notice under them, on a brownish background, which says that I should choose DTS only if I have a properly equipped amp and digital output plug (which I do), otherwise I should select DD. [I have no idea whether only the German-printed copies, like mine, have this, or it is a common feature in all of the European copies.] Also, my DVD does default on "Play All", but maybe that depends on my player's settings.

The 1973 mix is just the 1973 mix that was on CDV 2001. No clean-up or anything.

--------------
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 20:29

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 22 2009, 18:45)
Quote (trcanberra @ Aug. 22 2009, 11:57)

Hello, Tony [is that your name? I'm not sure...]. If by "Deluxe set" you mean the Ultimate Edition, including the vinyl album, well, the DVD I have has got a DTS 5.1 stream and a DD stereo (not 5.1) one, selectable from a menu page before the proper menu, which does not feature the same graphics as the rest of the DVD - basically it features the DTS and DD logos at the top, and a notice under them, on a brownish background, which says that I should choose DTS only if I have a properly equipped amp and digital output plug (which I do), otherwise I should select DD. [I have no idea whether only the German-printed copies, like mine, have this, or it is a common feature in all of the European copies.] Also, my DVD does default on "Play All", but maybe that depends on my player's settings.

The 1973 mix is just the 1973 mix that was on CDV 2001. No clean-up or anything.

Hi there

Yes, it is Tony :)

Sounds like the DVDs are different then.  Rather curious considering mine is labelled Disc 4 - I had assumed it was from the Ultimate Edition, but perhaps not (or they differ by country).  Mine is labelled as a deluxe set and is the one with the 3 CDs: (1) New stereo mix, (2) 'original 1973' and (3) the DVD which has no selectable menu on the one I have - which is also confusingly labelled as disc 4.

The 'original 1973' I previously had is dated 2000 and has 'Remastered Series Co-ordinator: Jason Day' on the back along with the text 'Remastered HDCD', hence I am assuming it is a remastered version of some older CD release.  I was wondering if the 2nd CD in the new set I have is the original CD release, the (?2000) HDCD remaster, or something else?

[EDIT]  On the back of the packaging it says Disc Two is 'The original 1973 stereo album mix', which makes it sound like the original mix, the part I am wondering about is if it has had the later remaster which changed a lot of volume levels.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 06:55

@ Tony: the 4-disc Ultimate Edition is as follows: discs 1 and 2 are the same as yours; disc 3 is the demos (previously issued on the currently-out-of-print TB 2003 DVD-A) + "The Sailor's Hornpipe" featuring Viv Stanshall + Mike's 2009 remix of his 1974 "Mike Oldfield's Single"; disc 4 is the DVD - I guess they didn't change its label for the 3-disc "Deluxe Edition". :D I repeat, the DVD I have features a selectable DTS/DD menu screen before the proper menu. If I manage to get a screenshot in the next few days, I shall post it here.

Regarding the original 1973 mix, if you're talking about the volume levels, yes, the one on the set is most definitely an improved remaster - just to mention the most obvious example, you couldn't really hear the main piano theme on CDV 2001 [i.e. the original Virgin CD release from 1982] without cranking up the volume. Now you can enjoy it at a regular level. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 01:03

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 23 2009, 06:55)
@ Tony: the 4-disc Ultimate Edition is as follows: discs 1 and 2 are the same as yours; disc 3 is the demos (previously issued on the currently-out-of-print TB 2003 DVD-A) + "The Sailor's Hornpipe" featuring Viv Stanshall + Mike's 2009 remix of his 1974 "Mike Oldfield's Single"; disc 4 is the DVD - I guess they didn't change its label for the 3-disc "Deluxe Edition". :D I repeat, the DVD I have features a selectable DTS/DD menu screen before the proper menu. If I manage to get a screenshot in the next few days, I shall post it here.

Regarding the original 1973 mix, if you're talking about the volume levels, yes, the one on the set is most definitely an improved remaster - just to mention the most obvious example, you couldn't really hear the main piano theme on CDV 2001 [i.e. the original Virgin CD release from 1982] without cranking up the volume. Now you can enjoy it at a regular level. :)

Thanks for the info.  So, it looks like the 1973 version is a remaster from the original CD release, so the question then is: the same remaster as the Virgin CD from circa 2000 or yet another new one?  :)
Profile PM 
120 replies since June 10 2009, 16:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net