Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2009 remaster, so what do we all think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2009, 16:28

I've been listening to the newly remastered Tubular Bells for the last two or three days. I just wondered what we all thought?

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 17:12

A comment, not so much on TB itself, but the other stuff.  MO's Single and the drunken Hornpipe should not have been remixed.  There are too many fans out there that don't have these tracks and this was a good opportunity to get the originals out properly.  And if they had to be remixed, then it should say so on the cover so that people aren't being misled.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 17:13

sounds Good to me...  Reworked specially for Stereo.. It does what it says on the Box..  Sounds Clearer than the Virgin Anniversary Issue Ive got.. Side two seems to be lifted with the enhanced Percussion..  What like Mike said.. All the Fuzz seems to of been cleared off the top and left with a Great Clear Sound.. Wont play any other Mix now .. This Beats the Rest ..   Yeah pretty pleased.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 20:09

The drunk hornpipe thing was funny.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 23:17

I like it. A few alterations have beefed it up too. The electric guitar solo on side 1 at 6:20 has been processed(kind of a stereo delay, plus the level raised, really beefed up). The bassy part at 7:11 that I heard in a dream in 1968 has had an organ/synth added playing alongside at an interval I'm thinking a 5th above the original instrument doing the bassy keyboard(?) riff. When this riff's last note decays at 7:50, it has had distortion added. The transition around 9:20 has a new sound added, a pad like synth sound pitch bended up a 3rd or 5th to smooth out the transition.
    Little things like this make it cool to me. I think if I want to hear TB1, this will be my choice, certainly more exciting to me than TB2003. A nice job, I can tell he enjoyed doing it.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 00:31

There is another opinion in.......Eddy likes it! He used to only get pumped up by the Stones and never showed any interest in MO, but while I had the 2009 TB1 playing, he got really excited, jumped into my arms and I held him for about 20 minutes while he seemed keenly interested in this music. I think that is about the most credible and accurate review Mike's gonna get on this here deal!

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 02:11

Absolutely love it esp drunken hornpipe, foot stamping music, my cats love it too, keep on rockin mike, deb
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 16:55

when people are talking about "druken hornpipe" are they talking about the version originally on "boxed"?
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 19:33

Yup.  Except that the new remix is 2:48 while the original on "Boxed" is 3:52.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 04:45

Hmmm.The jury's still out for me.On the whole i love it but there are some bits i don't.In the Classic Rock interview Mike says he took the phasing effect out as they were trying to be modern (the bass bit on side one)but to me that made it.He also said that he changed the Tubular Bell sound itself in the finale.The result doesn't sit right to me.And i was dissapointed with the 're-vamped' MO's Single.What has he done to it?It's good but he has changed something.
Over all it sounds really good and there are bits that had been obscured but i'm not really sure.Possibley a grower. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 05:29

Quote (The Caveman @ June 12 2009, 04:45)
Hmmm.The jury's still out for me.On the whole i love it but there are some bits i don't.In the Classic Rock interview Mike says he took the phasing effect out as they were trying to be modern (the bass bit on side one)but to me that made it.He also said that he changed the Tubular Bell sound itself in the finale.The result doesn't sit right to me.And i was dissapointed with the 're-vamped' MO's Single.What has he done to it?It's good but he has changed something.
Over all it sounds really good and there are bits that had been obscured but i'm not really sure.Possibley a grower. :laugh:

I agree about the phaser there Caveman, definitely made it for me too. On the whole though I think I like this new remastered version. It's so much warmer and sits along Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn so much more comfortably now. If ever I had a problem with Tubular Bells it was the harshness of sound but now there's less top and so much more bass. Infact I would go as far as to say this new version has rekindled my love of the album, I don't think I've liked it this much since I first started seriously listening to it some 20 yeas ago.

My one bug bear though are the Tubular Bells themselves. In contrast to the rest of the album they've lost their balls. They used to sound so powerful, you could really imagine that hammer coming down on them. On the other hand; Viv Stanshall's intro's sound amazing, they are somehow more charismatic and humorous, I now appreciate them more than ever, knocks socks off that Alan Rickman on TB2!

As for Mike Oldfield's single, Mike appears to have added some synth. That first vocal-synth chord sounds like a modern synth to me, I don't remember it being on the original. Also the outro guitar solo sounds like current era Mike to me. So, like when Boxed was put together, he's gone back and added or replayed parts. I'm usually very cynical about these things, I might consider it sacrilegious to change something as significant as MO's single. However, it sounds amazing.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 05:46

Wow - very sharp and Crisp!

Invigorating new energy in there - and upbeat and optimistic - feels faster even (but it can't be).

I think I understand now why this remastering needed to happen - it's like a mature Tubular Bells.

(I'm reminded how SLOW the bell-ringers tiiming was on Saturday now    :/

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 06:08

Oh - forgot to say: -

I LOVE IT!

[...and glad I didn't let pride and stubborness stop me from buying something I thought I'd already got. I'd not got this.] :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 06:49

detailed TB2009 review on the BBC website - and it's a recommended album on their homepage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/hpdp
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 06:52

And also looks like it will be Album of the week on Radio 2 next week:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/music/records-of-the-week/
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 06:58

It does sound like he has added some parts to MO'S Single.The original was a lovely little thing.It's nice that it's finally available legitamately on cd but why did he have to bugger around with it?Don't get me wrong I really do like the new version of TB itself (except the bits i mentioned)and yes it does sound nice and hum free,although the mains hum hasn't bothered me in the 31 years since i first heard it but there are some things best left alone and if this is going to be the only version available we have another HR on our hands. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 12 2009, 08:58

To be honest I'm a bit unsure on my views from first listen. Generally sounds great - very crisp and all that. Some new aspects of the mix coming through that I hadn't realised were there before (not all of which I think are improvements! )

I think my main concern is an overall feeling of it being a bit *too* crisp. Sortof like comparing an oversharpened print from a modern digital SLR to a traditionally enlarged 35mm film stock print. Something has been lost at times in the modernisation of the mix. The bells themselves are now sounding a bit tinny rather than the more full sound they seemed to previously have.

Loving the entire Ultimate thing BTW. Book is really interesting - nice piccies. I hadn't heard the demos before and they are also fascinating, hearing how the piece progressed from some of Mikes demos to the draft mix to the final.

I think I need a few more listens of the new mix to really make my mind up. Haven't tried the 5.1 yet.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 09:28

I think its best to assume this is How MO would of liked it to sound at 1st Call given the Time & Techno Equipment..  ..yeah the mix gives the Album a closer link to Hergest Ridge..  Havent tried Headphones yet..  !!  Think if everyone re purchases the Album from the old days it will be NO1 for another 6 Months ..    :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 09:55

Not only 'crisp', but as shiny as an apple I would say.

I don't deny that I was slightly scared at first (with the crispness), but I went with the flow. It had to be that way, (crisp and shiny) I think, because Tubular Bells is all grown up now.

There used to an advert a long time ago -"Apple VO5 brings your hair alive and leaves it shiny, shiny, shiny as an apple - oh yeah."  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 11:50

I'm going to give it several listens over the weekend.Certain aspects are good but i'm not sure about it at the moment.It does need a good headphone session on sunday afternoon i think.It kind of reminds me of these films that try to bring Shakespeare into the 21st century.Doesn't sit right somehow (aside from Elizabethan English being very different to modern English if course).I like records from the 70's for their warmth and slight fuzziness and a lot of that's been removed.
At least TB2003 was unashamedly 'new'.I might absolutely love it by monday. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
120 replies since June 10 2009, 16:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net