Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2009 remaster, so what do we all think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jesse Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 12 2009, 14:33

I love 2003, I love 2009.

Great work.

:D
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 15:47

Well I`ve listened to it a couple of times this afternoon there,and I can only really echo a lot of what both Matt and The Caveman have already expressed.Some bits I like,and others I`m not so keen on really.It`s nice to hear some new things from a different perspective at times though.And all in all most of the changes are very subtly done.It`s interesting that in some cases he has`nt been afraid of highlighting mistakes as well.Which is a big departure from his reasons for the 2003 re-recording.At the end of the day I`m not the kind of person who will "nit-pick" and "analyze" over every subtle nuance and detail.To be perfectly honest I hav`nt really got the expertise or the "ears" as it were to do that anyway.

What I would like to pick up on a little bit is the overall crispness that everyone`s mentioning here.Matt made the point that he thought it might be a little "too crisp".And I have to admit that`s probably the over-riding feeling I get from it as well.I actualy dis-agree completely with Hairy Old Hippy here(sorry) when he says that he thought this newer version was "less harsher" than the original version.As for me I found it to be quite the reverse at times.Particularly on some of the higher frequencies the piano and the bells themselves in fact.It`s certianly mastered a hell of a lot louder than the version it "replaces" that`s for sure.Which maybe calls into question things like tone dynamics and warmth.I`m no expert as I`ve said but there were a number of times when those seemed to be lacking a little for me.Comparitivly speaking that is.It`s certianly brighter yeah,but I would suggest that`s more down to the mastering rather than the mix itself.(Bloody hell I thought you said you were`nt gonna` nit pick)..     :p

Yeah all in all I did enjoy listening it,and I dare say it`ll probably grow on me as well.I actualy found myself for a while today playing part 2(original version) and part 2 new version back to back as it were.Kind of stopping and starting bits of it picking up on the differences and such.And then suddenly I thought "bloody hell what the hell are you doing man just sit back and enjoy it for God`s sake".After which point it took me a further minute or so to realise which version I`d actualy left in the cd drawer.  :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 16:30

Well Done Dirk! - I assume you slipped it into your weekly Asda shop. It's not bad really, price-wise when you think about it - the same price as a leg of lamb. You will have remembered also the crisp and shiny apples.   :p

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 16:38

Ive played TB1  2009 more times now in the Past few Days than the Old version for about 5 Years...    The Guitars Growl Hergest Ridge Style..  The Percussion is up..  Its bouncing around my Speakers more than before and im Loving the Single...  A Happy Bunny indeed..  

The Acid Test is  which version will u pick up to play in 6 months time...??..     :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 20:06

:p enjoying the 5.1 format, listening through the headphones picks up the enhanced mastering, cant fault it and i was a sceptic! deb
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 01:59

I see some frisky, happy tubularians here. That is very good.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 10:48

Quote (wiga @ June 13 2009, 21:30)
Well Done Dirk! - I assume you slipped it into your weekly Asda shop. It's not bad really, price-wise when you think about it - the same price as a leg of lamb. You will have remembered also the crisp and shiny apples.   :p

I noticed today that the 3 disc version is very reasonably priced on Amazon at £12.97.

@3wheeler Yeah I agree with you about the guitars growling.It bodes well imo as to how the thunderstorm section may sound on the forthcoming HR mix.
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 14:44

Mmm...I'm not very crazy about this new remaster (can't stand, for example, the clumsy bell sound), but the strange thing is...it doesn't sound very new to me!

Six or seven years ago I bought in England a vinyl version of "Boxed" which was quite a surprise to me, because, while HR, OM and "Collaborations" were exactly as I expected, TB was very different from both the original album AND the remixed "Boxed" version that I knew (I had the CD too).

I was never able to find what this version was, but now I've heard the 2009 remaster and...well, I haven't checked the rest, but two things on this version were ALREADY in that 'Boxed' version too:

1) the longer 'moribound chorus' section starting at 13:49
2) the acoustic guitar chord at 17:28

But apart from this the overall sound is similar to that version....

...can someone clear this up?

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 04:28

Ok so i listened lots over the weekend and i quite like it now.Don't think it's going to replace the original as the first call version but it's still very good.And i am still a bit annoyed at the lack of phasing and there seems to be way too much reverb on some bits but it's nice on headphones.And hey we even get a few more grunts and howls on the caveman song.All together now "who could ask for anything more".Is it me or is the hornpipe shorter (ooh er missus). :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 10:53

@ Cavemen.  No, it's not you.  The Hornpipe is shorter by about a minute.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 11:10

Thought so.Just haven't had time to check.Why'd he do that?And there's the wierd fade out/fade back in and then get really fast bit on the end of the Viv version.Wierd.
Thanks Bassman.

--------------
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 11:27

I like the 2009 version. It sounds cleaner and fresher somehow.
But...
Although it's well done and enjoyable to listen to, it misses that certain avant garde 70s sort of atmosphere that the original recording possesses. It could never be a replacement, only a 'extra' version for me. (The same thing applies of course to the 2003 remake).

I'm currently listening to the demos. Interesting stuff there - it's surprising (and impressive) just how many of the ideas were already fully formed and quite close to their final polished versions.  Lovely to have them if you're a completist!  :)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 12:00

I never heard the demo(s) before yesterday. Part 1 starts rough but as I get further into it, it gets better. The end is quite abrupt. It's amazing he got such clarity in some parts given how he did the demo. I used to muck with the same thing before I had a multitrack(first one was a Fostex 2X speed cassette 4 track). Before that I'd "flip-flop" between two cassette decks. First with "Y" jacks combining 2 channels from one cassette deck to one channel of the other, adding another instrument to the free channel. Later used a cheap mixer.  Only good for about 3 generations of flops....but it was fun. This really takes me back.....
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 12:11

Quote (The Caveman @ June 15 2009, 16:10)
Thought so.Just haven't had time to check.Why'd he do that?And there's the wierd fade out/fade back in and then get really fast bit on the end of the Viv version.Wierd.
Thanks Bassman.

I would guess maybe Mike re-edited the ending seen as how we`ve already had one complete trip through the Hornpipe as it were at the end of TB part 2!? Funnily enough the first time I listened to this new version I was about to hit the stop button when Viv finished talking,as I thought to myself "well I`m not sitting through the whole thing again"..And then "ooh what`s this"?...To be honest I really like the new ending,it`s "weirdness" kind of rounded the whole track off perfectly for me...That said the original version getting faster and faster,where you kind of imagine "them" falling down laughing at the end exhausted is also good..Ah what are you gonna` do?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 12:55

I guess theres less scope for the Remix when it comes to HR & Ommadawn...   They are pretty well refined already.. Unless he tries a few radical things like adding a few new Bits or similar... Will be interesting...    :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 12:56

I've had the Viv version for about 20 years and i still enjoy it after all thse years.If you listen carefully after Viv says anthropologkey (the first attempt)you can hear either Mike or Tom Newman say "say that again" and after further attempts again either Mike or Tom sounding like they're going to collapse into a fit of giggles.It's amazing what a few too many pints of Guiness does for you!I've tried the Guiness in the very same pub they used to drink in and they do keep an exceptional pint.There are some odd noises in the new version though.There's a sound like a pneumatic drill towards the end which isn't on the Boxed version and right at the end of the fade out/in there is something that sounds like a harmonica.
 Getting the posh version with the demo's in a week or so...payday! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 14:40

Put Disk 2 on today for the first time. Flippin' Eck! I'd forgotton what a belter Taurus II is - like wind and rain in your face. Been ages since I listened to "Five Miles Out" and I'd definately be buying it if I didn't already have it. "The Collection" worked for me in that respect.

But no, I'm not big on the songs really. Could give Disk 2 to my dad on Sunday but he's never liked MO.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 18:16

Hi All,
I've listened to the new 2009 Mix a couple times now and actually have some "mixed" feelings... The soundstage seems much larger overall, however, IMHO, I feel the mix is maybe a bit too subdued in some places while being extra "bright" in others. I also feel the actual tubular bells on Part One sound a bit "wrong" or too tinny. I think certain sections don't transition as smoothly as in the original, as far as differences in the volume are concerned. I don't mean to nitpick as I'm happy to have all the versions of this album, yet, I think it's nearly impossible to improve on the original version of Tubular Bells,that in my opinion, has always been nearly perfect to start with.

I suppose it's all subjective.

Harry
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:12

Now i have listened to it many times and whadayaknow i love it!Still will never replace the original but it's really good on headphones.The organ/guitar duet on side 2 has been given some really nice reverb effect that gives it a much bigger 'space' and there's the second acoustic guitar which is all but inaudible in the orginal and the Caveman song sounds good with tons more of the vocal coming through and the drums bought up.The funny thing about this bit is you can hear more grunts and bits from Mike in caveman mode.I would dearly love to hear this in it's original form before the tape was slowed.In other owrds young Mike screaming his nuts off.There's one for the next generation! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 09:39

Quote (The Caveman @ June 15 2009, 18:56)
I've had the Viv version for about 20 years and i still enjoy it after all thse years.If you listen carefully after Viv says anthropologkey (the first attempt) you can hear either Mike or Tom Newman say "say that again" and after further attempts again either Mike or Tom sounding like they're going to collapse into a fit of giggles.

That's definitely Mike in both cases, IMHO. "Say that agayne!" Very English. :D

Shame that the music part of the "Drunken Hornpipe" in the 2009 remix has been shortened. That's one of the minuses of the remix. But it's also got various pluses, which I shall list here in the next days. :)

Regarding 2009's Caveman, check out Mike's utterings here. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
120 replies since June 10 2009, 16:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net