Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2009 Caveman "lyrics", Quite different from 2003 version...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2009, 09:18

These are the pseudo-lyrics to the "Caveman" section of TB part two, 2009 remix. They are indeed very clearer on the remix than on the 1973 version. Most of them sound simillar to the "fake duet" version on TB 2003, but in fact they aren't - they're quite different, actually. Here they are:

Shogoh wrach douch gwenoguah!
Flumoh guach dough wenooooh!
Shlogo guach dough gwenoguah!
Flogoh wach dogh wenoooh!

Hmmmm?
Hmmm!

Floooough!
Floooough!
Floooough!
Flow!
Flow!
(Background: Uhm, ah, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg.)

Shooma!
Shooma!
Shock!
Shock!
Shock!
(Bckgr: Uhm, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG.)

[Howl - twice]

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!

Ow!

[Howl]

Flogoh wach dach gwenoguah!
Flllogoh wach dough wenooooh!
Fllogo wach dach gwenoguah!
Fllllllllogoh wach dach wenoooh!

Hmmmm?
Hmmm!
Hmmmm?
Hmmm!

Shomma!
Shomma!
Ssh-shomma!
Sssh-shomma!
Sssh-shomma!
(Background: Uhm, ah, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg.)

Shock!
Ssssh-shock!
Sh-shock!
Sh-shock!
Sh-shock!
(Bckgr: Uhm, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG.)

[Howling]

Shock!

Shock!
Shock!
Shock!

:D :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 10:48

Thanks Ugo! I'm glad to finally understand what Mike is saying after all these years. Kudos to you!
Harry:o)
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 11:00

You now how to chat Raquel Welch up if u get lucky one  Friday night now lol.. :O

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 11:28

Lol!In my youth and ignorance i used to think he was saying "So what don't want no-one so what don't want you" And the later bit he was saying "Sod it".
 Fair play for putting the time in to figure it out.Mike being a trekkie it's interesting that it looks and sounds a bit Klingon (i have probably spelt that wrong-i'm not a trekkie).Perhaps it's a Klingon love song  :laugh:

BTW the 2003 version was actually 'sung' by Mike and Sally Oldfield.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 15:41

@ Harry: You're welcome. I'm very much used to writing down meaningless lyrics, so that was nothing for me. :)

@ Caveman: the 'female' part in Caveman 2003 wasn't Sally - it was Mike with a vocal effect. We estabilished that 6 years ago, in here. Before him, Prince in 1984 sang "Erotic City" and George Michael in 1987 sang "Hard Day" with various different voices, one of which (in both songs) sounded definitely feminine. Back then it was done with the vari-speed system and with the Synclavier; in 2003 it was done on a computer, but the result is pretty much the same. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 16:22

Quote (Ugo @ June 16 2009, 15:41)
@ Caveman: the 'female' part in Caveman 2003 wasn't Sally - it was Mike with a vocal effect. We estabilished that 6 years ago, in here. Before him, Prince in 1984 sang "Erotic City" and George Michael in 1987 sang "Hard Day" with various different voices, one of which (in both songs) sounded definitely feminine. Back then it was done with the vari-speed system and with the Synclavier; in 2003 it was done on a computer, but the result is pretty much the same. :)

Jon Anderson sang like that with Yes already in 1968. No vari-speed! I was 11 when I bought Crises, and for years I thought that In High Places was sung by a woman.  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 04:24

@Ugo.Was it really?I stand corrected.Sounds very like her though.I wasn't here 6 years ago so i missed that thread.
Well i've learned something new today and it's not even 09.30 yet. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 05:20

Mike should`ve removed the vocal while he was re-mixing the album,then he could`ve made a karaoke version for the DVD.How cool would it have been to see those lyrics going along the bottom of the screen?He could`ve even had a competition whereby people could send their own versions into the website etc..First prize wins a trip on Mike`s schooner,and a year`s supply of throat lozenges...Ahh somebody rig this thing up,we`ll have the best Karaoke night ever..Good work Ugo.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 06:03

Great idea Dirk!I'm sure someone with the right set up could do this. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 07:54

@ Caveman: there was a huge debate on that, 6 years ago. Then Korgscrew (or someone on his behalf) asked that to Mike himself, and he replied that it wasn't Mike & Sally - it was Mike & Mike. :D

@ Dirk: you can do a karaoke mix yourself. Rip the track from the CD, feed it into Nero, select the Karaoke filter from the Filters tab and burn the track again. There you go. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 08:57

@Straight from the horses mouth then.Can't argue with that :) Anyone else notice that it does sound remarkably like Sally?That's why i assumed it was all this time.Is it really 6 years?Time flies.

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 17 2009, 09:03

Re: Caveman / Sally / Mike I can't find the thread where this was discussed - I've tried! Ugo, can you find it? All I can see is the note from Korgscrew thinking that it might be Mike in his additional notes in the Discography entry here. Korgie? Ugo? Any recollections?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 11:07

@ Matt: it was a poll, called "Caveman 2003 - The Duet", or something like that. The poll question was "Caveman 2003 is sung by..." and the options were "Mike and Sally" and "Mike and Mike with a vocal effect". The second option won, then in the same thread Korgscrew (or someone else) confirmed that it was indeed Mike duetting with a rather unlikely female version of himself. :D I'm not sure what happened to that thread, maybe it got deleted. I know that some old polls were deleted for space reasons.

@ Caveman, re. your post straight above Matt's latest one here: it's no wonder that Mike can sound like Sally. When they were both 15 they harmonized perfectly. Also, referring to an earlier post of mine in this thread, you should really listen to George Michael's "Hard Day" to understand how easy it is for a male singer to sound like a woman with the aid of technology. And that was 1987. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 11:44

Another good example would be Big Love by Fleetwood Mac.The "uh" (only way to describe it)are supposed to be a male voice followed by a female.It sounds like Lyndsey Buckingham followed by Stevie Nicks but both parts are in fact Buckingham.And i have heard some of Prince's stuff where he does this.Not a big fan but the guy is bloody good with production techniques.
Oh and by the way Mike was 15 in Sallyangie and Sally was 20.Otherwise they'd be twins!And they did harmoinise very well......when Mike got the words right.I love Children Of The Sun to bits for it's naive charm and there are mistakes aplenty in the lyrics from Mike.Bless his confused little head. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 17 2009, 13:55

How about that - there is in fact, some kind of lyrics in the caveman bit on TB..

I has always thought that the microphones was on by accident in the studio, when somebody stole MO's stash of "dreamy drugs with funny colors"
and the sounds recorded was MO rambling and screaming in a demonic way because he couldn't find it - oh well   :D
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 14:33

@ prisoner: As far as I remember, Mike originally intented "The Caveman Song" to have lyrics - he wrote a «teenage angst» set of lyrics to it. But then he got very drunk (together with Tom Newman and Viv Stanshall, I suppose... :D) and decided that the piece would work better with screamed nonsense lyrics.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 18:42

Is this a topic or is this a gentle way to tell us that, Piltdown Man really never was, Piltdown is a Hoax let's not forget,
Or in other word's when did Piltdown man become caveman.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 18:53

I don't know. "Piltdown Man" was what Mike played on TB (1973), which has been remixed now: those are the lyrics I transcribed above. But from TB 2003 onwards, he's been known as the Caveman. Only Mike knows why. :D From my own point of view, I always took "Piltdown Man" to mean "Fake caveman", or "Invented/simulated caveman". :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 04:13

That would be right.As far as i remeber Piltdown Man was an elaborate hoax from the 1950's where someone claimed to have found an almost perfectly preserved 'caveman'.It was actually believed for quite some time as well.Why Mike chose to call the screamed vocals Piltdown Man on the original is anyone's guess.
 It could have been worse.In the 80's i believe (school was a long time ago)there was another discovery,this time genuine,of a stone age man discovered in a peat bog.He became known as Pete Bog.So at least Mike didn't make TB in the 80's.
 It's been known as the Caveman Song/Section unofficially since way before TB2003.That was just 'validating' the nickname given to it.
 Good idea i think.Get pissed on whisky and Guinness,go into the studio,turn up the vari-speed and scream yourself hoarse.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 06:51

Quote (The Caveman @ June 18 2009, 10:13)
Good idea i think.Get pissed on whisky and Guinness,go into the studio,turn up the vari-speed and scream yourself hoarse.

Thanks for that, Caveman. Even in my gloomiest days I manage to find here on tubular.net something to bring a smile to my face. And to my posts as well. :)

About the Piltdown Man, yes, it was a hoax. It dates from 1912 - someone (it was never estabilished who) planted in a cave near Piltdown, Sussex, a modern human skull combined with an orangutan's lower jawbone. See here.

About section names in TB, I guess that other ones, in addition to "Caveman Song", were common before the release of TB 2003 and Mìike just adopted them. IMO "Introduction" and "Bagpipe Guitars" had been floating around for quite a while.

P.S. (off topic): I'm not sure whether you have the TB 2009 box or not, I haven't been following that thread very attentively. If you haven't, check out the 'surprises' I have uploaded somewhere here.

--------------
Profile PM 
26 replies since June 16 2009, 09:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net