Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2003 reviews at mikeoldfield.org< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 03 2003, 23:41

That said, it does tend to take a lot more effort and time to create a great, epic album like TSODE.

I'd rather wait for a good one instead of getting half-decent album after half-decent album quickly.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Tubular_B
Unregistered

Posted: May 04 2003, 18:55

Spanish translation / Traducción en español de las dos "reviews"

www.MundoMikeOldfield.tk
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: May 05 2003, 10:17

It's not quite right thinking that there's nothing challenging about being at peace, and therefore no emotional music can come out of you.  There is always the process of keeping yourself at peace, which is not very easy sometimes.  You don't often just "arrive" at peace, and then all of the hard work is done.  Anyway, I wasn't sure about the TL album at first, either.  But try listening to it on cold, cloudy winter days and it's just the thing!
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 05 2003, 16:54

Mmmm, strange. I enjoy TL the most when it is sunny wheather. Probably because it was summer when the album came out last year.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: May 05 2003, 18:21

I didn't start listening to TL a lot until the fall and winter of '02.  I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.  Sometimes I will get a CD, and then hold the in-depth listening until the season that I feel is most fitting.  I usually listen to a lot of Vangelis and Tangerine Dream in the colder months, and more prog rock in the summer.  I remember when I purchased TSODE it was close to winter, so I always associate that album with cloudy, misty weather.  For me, some good summer Oldfield is Discovery, Five Miles Out, Islands.
maria Offline

Posted: May 05 2003, 18:41

Quote (Guest @ May 05 2003, 18:21)
For me, some good summer Oldfield is Discovery..

the same for me, 'saved by a bell' and 'the lake' are the best when looking at a summer sky. tr3s lunas is also "very summer".
while ommadawn is completely spring and fall... works full in changing seasons...
actually, right now it's in my discman :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 05 2003, 19:28

Quote (maria @ May 05 2003, 18:41)
while ommadawn is completely spring and fall... works full in changing seasons...

Ommadawn is completely fall to me, never thought about spring there.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 12:28

As I live on the Equator in Singapore it's always summer! The only change in weather is during the monsoon season when it's wet, wettr and wettest. Other than that it's hot, hotter, hottest.

TBIII seems to go excellently with the monsoon season as I always associate it with a heavy downpour and stormy weather.

When I listen to Ommadawn I close my eyes and imagine i'm back in England under an golden tree in autumn! Parts of Ommadawn do remind me of sping though - ending of part one particularly which is all to do with giving birth I believe.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Justin
Unregistered

Posted: May 06 2003, 20:28

Ommadawn is definitely fall, but also appropriate for wet spring rains. Like the previous post that album indeed reminds me of the green moors of England on cold gray and rainy day.
The first half of Hergest Ridge is perfect for sublime Mountain views, winter or summer. "Islands" is self-explanatory--warm weather, tropical climate, especially with that gamelan highlighting the Wind Chimes piece. As for TB, the use of that opening theme for the "Exorcist" has forever given it a spooky feel, especially on Halloween night. In contrast, side two of Tubular Bells is Autumn like, with the overlapping acoustic guitars immitating falling leaves. TB 3 is definitely summer, as that's the only time to party in Ibiza.
christopher Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 01:35

Yeah I have to agree with you lot...

Ommadawn can be either spring or fall.

Tres Lunas is definetly a summer - by the beach - album

Five Miles Out is summer

Tubular Bells 2 is definetly winter

Tubular Bells 3 is anytime it storms - spring or fall - or I'm angry

Songs of Distant Earth makes any season on a clear night

Voyager is a spring for me

Tubular Bells 2003 will be a summer album for me

Tubular Bells 1973 I just can't bare to listen to

Orchestral TB is good for a spring cleaning round the house
or fall picking up the leaves

Crises is summer or winter

Discovery could be summer or winter

Islands is definetly a spring album

Millennium Bell reminds me of fall and winter

Earth Moving is summer alright

QE2 I have no opinion on

Platinum I have no opinion on

Amarok - spring and summer

Heaven's Open no idea where to place it

Me thinketh we should taketh this subject elsewhere-eth LOL :p

Christopher

PS I spoke with my local record shop today (Sam Goody) and they have no release date for TB2003 and they have release dates for the rest of the summer.  So I wonder does the term "worldwide" somehow have an unspoken meaning where-in America isn't part of the world anymore???
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 06:41

When I listen to Ommadawn I close my eyes and imagine i'm back in England under an golden tree in autumn! Parts of Ommadawn do remind me of sping though - ending of part one particularly which is all to do with giving birth I believe.

Well, Mike onces said in an interview that the ending of Ommadawn Part 1 is just him, exploding from his mother's vagina.  ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 06:51

ommadawn starts a bit gloomy as fall is, with the seed of something dark on it (as fall's got the seed of winter on it). there's a soft golden light along the first minutes, but from 5' more or less, it goes leading to brighter and warmer places little by little... and then, there's a night ride all along a deep forest crowded with trees that takes to a clearing on it (on the first five minutes of the second part), a bright moon light going through the branches and from the 10th' in the second part i completely feel the spring's strength. the music there is not gloomy but completely full of life as spring is and then, there's a party around a lake in the clearing.

i would say that ommadawn is the description (to my ears) of how a dark feeling finds a good resolution, something dark at the beginning is transformed in a crazy dance of drums and guitar strings that leads to 'on horseback'. the mood on the final bit it's not close to winter if u know what i mean, more than this i regard it as a kind of simple and cheerful resolution of what has been going on along it, it's not a winter ending but an early summer gladness... happy enjoy of simple things...

but it could also be that i first listened to ommadawn in spring :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 15:31

I respect that every album by Mike can be related to a different season depending on the feelings of the listener. For me, after more than 20 years following Mike´s career, his music remembers different moments in my life to me ( something like a life soundtrack), but the real thing, IMHO, is that good music is "only" good music whenever you listen to it. I can listen to Ommadawn in winter, summer, spring or autumn, it´s always a superb record, that´s all.
Profile PM 
paul@mikeoldfield.org
Unregistered

Posted: May 08 2003, 16:58

A couple of additional reviews by David Porter and Svend Aage Petersen have now been posted.

Paul
Unregistered

Posted: May 09 2003, 17:03

"In summer, winter, rain or sun,
It's good to be on horseback."
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 13 2003, 23:21

Hmm, the David Porter review seems a bit of a waste of space. Interesting knowing that Mike had said he would re-record it back in 1982, but it says absolutely nothing about this new version, no insight or personal opinion on it, and it ends with yet another "how about another Amarok?" Whereas yes it would be nice and if Mike read it that would be good too, maybe we should not rush ahead and focus on the latest project Mike has poured his heart, soul, energy and time into, and actually show some appreciation for it rather than merely saying that the end of part 2 still brings a tear to one's eye. Maybe Mike would read that and think, oh they're not really interested in what I'm doing anymore, just what they want me to do? Sorry, I am aware this may seem somewhat attacking, but I feel it a shame that there would be countless fans who could have given a far more tantalising and interesting preview to this most-awaited of albums instead of completely failing to talk about what is supposed to be being reviewed.

[/rant over]

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Fingers Offline

Posted: May 14 2003, 06:36

Man in the Rain - I couldn't agree more. If I listen to the album and don't like it then so be it - but if MO wanted to go back and do it again and is pleased with his efforts then who has the right to question that? If you like the new version great, if not - don't listen to it. I'm not sure either of the reviews were worthwhile reading!
Profile PM 
Me,ecco, and,  I
Unregistered

Posted: May 14 2003, 08:09

It is rather silly to fault the artist for attempting to introduce his signature work to a new audience. I think that the main reason he is doing the re-work is for the following reason:
Most of the music buying public bought into the great PR scam of the century, that  Compact Discs are superior to Vinyl LPs.
One only has to listen to the original Tubular Bells on vinyl and then to the horrible CD that was cut from who-knows-what tape "master" to hear the obvious fallicy of that myth.
You can repeat this experiment with "Ommadawn", too.
"Hergest Ridge" is great on vinyl, but only if you can get one waxed from a country outside of the Uk (terrible vinyl that year).
Many of us feel that more and more people will be listening to increasingly compressed music formats on increasingly inferior sound equipment . Excellent detail and clarity, yes, but lousy dynamics,soundstage, and lacking in the warmth that thus far only analog is capable of producing. (ever notice how ads for so-called high-end music listening and production devices claim how close the products come to producing analog sound?)
So, since a majority of the public now and in the future are probably never going to hear the vinyl Lp, at least they will have a better CD of 'Bells' to listen to.
BTW: "Simply Vinyl" has just released a 180 gram audiophile LP of "Ommadawn"
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 14 2003, 08:22

I knew nothing aobut LP's existence until I came to this site and overtime figured out what they were :). I'm a CD man. But I suppose most people are in North America.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 14 2003, 08:47

Steady on guys (above) it's just a little review. I've met David Porter he's a really nice guy and the worlds leading authority on everything Oldfield. He's just expressing himself here, and remember Dark Star is the official fansite and obviously they don't want to give to much away in their reviews and thus spoil the suprise of this eagerly (sic) awaited album. I think their efforts should be thanked rather than citicised after all they don't have to do it, they're doing it for us. It's also good that the official fansite has the freedom of speech to actualy say it can find fault with something by Mike rather than fear that it'll be burnt at the stake for being a MO heretic, a feelling which is fairly prevelent here from time to time it has to be said.  

Anyway if you're that desperate to hear this new album then simply put it on and listen to it, you already own a copy that by the sounds of things (well obviously really) is better anyway.
Profile PM 
75 replies since April 30 2003, 12:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net