Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2003 reviews at mikeoldfield.org< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Q! Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2003, 08:52

Quote (Guest @ May 14 2003, 08:09)
Excellent detail and clarity, yes, but lousy dynamics,soundstage, and lacking in the warmth that thus far only analog is capable of producing.

Not true. That's a myth spread by 'audiophiles'. A well mastered cd is superior to any vinyl. Another thing is that todays cd's are VERY poorly mastered, but that's different story.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
ecco
Unregistered

Posted: May 14 2003, 10:24

"...Not true. That's a myth spread by 'audiophiles'. A well mastered cd is superior to any vinyl. Another thing is that todays cd's are VERY poorly mastered, but that's different story. "

Actually, it is a fact spread by professional musicians.
You are correct, though in your statement that many of today's CD's are poorly mastered. There are also poorly mastered LP's. And some instruments sound better on Lp, others on CD.
But one cannot honestly say that Cd's are better than Lps.
A one thousand dollar turntable with a good cartridge will beat out a comparably priced Cd player in most aspects. There will be very little difference between a great mastered CD and it's LP counterpart.
Either way, the public has been duped.
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: May 14 2003, 12:03

Well, it's possible I guess to press a vinyl album from a poor master.  The main problem with LPs is that it will always be a big 12" disc of plastic with a tiny rock scraping through some squiggly grooves that can get scratched, flattened, warped, or filled with dust.  With repeated usage, both plastic and rock will eventually wear out, and need to be replaced.

A bigger PR scam:  MP3s are worth having.
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 14 2003, 14:23

And meanwhile back in the real world....

Just noticed the first big(ish) colour glossy add for TB2003 in the British music press. HOORAY!!!!!!! It reads' Tubular Bells2003. 'Re-played, Re-recorded, Re-mastered.' Complete with a nice big pic of the cover.

Congratulations to all involved at WEA.

ps That article in the Scotsman.com is pretty interesting. So the next album is going to be a Celtic one again, sounds promising but then again so did Voyager before we heard it and look what happened there. Just keep the synths well and truely turned off this time Mike and I'm sure it'll be great.

pps It's always weird in these interviews with Mike when he say's that modern music is dead and nobody is doing anything interesting nowdays and then usualy in the same breath goes on to say how he never listens to music and never buys CD's. So how exactly does he know that no interesting music is being made?  :/
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: May 14 2003, 15:24

Quote (Guest @ May 14 2003, 10:24)
But one cannot honestly say that Cd's are better than Lps.
A one thousand dollar turntable with a good cartridge will beat out a comparably priced Cd player in most aspects.

Well, equipment is certainly important here. Anyways, everytime I hear someone saying that cd's lack 'warmth', only one word comes to my mind - placebo. :cool:

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 14 2003, 15:42

oops sorry wrong thread : ( .. DOH!!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 14 2003, 16:46

Quote (Q! @ May 14 2003, 15:24)
Well, equipment is certainly important here. Anyways, everytime I hear someone saying that cd's lack 'warmth', only one word comes to my mind - placebo. :cool:

I'm not a fan of the 'CDs lack warmth' theory either. Only had Ommadawn on CD for a few years and it never lacked any warmth for me.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 14 2003, 23:40

A bigger PR scam:  MP3s are worth having.

To start another debate, OGGs are far greater than MP3s but aren't as popular. I use only OGGs now.

It's that way with everything. While back they had 'beta tapes' or something and they were far superior than VHS tapes but VHS skyrocketed. Same thing with Apple and IBMs. And CDs and LPs. I haven't heard an LP so I can't comment on that.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 16:25

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ May 14 2003, 23:40)
I haven't heard an LP so I can't comment on that.

Just so I understand you right, you have never heard an LP?
Profile PM 
ecco
Unregistered

Posted: May 15 2003, 17:18

"...And CDs and LPs. I haven't heard an LP so I can't comment on that. "

Do your ears a favour and find someone with a quality turntable, then order the newly released "Ommadawn" from here: http://www.simplyvinyl.com/more.as....&id=316

Then listen to the "Ommadawn" CD.
Also, it is much more difficult to damage an LP than it is a CD.
Cd's also degenerate over time,contrary to popular myth. My original Tubular Bells LP sounds better after 30 years than it's CD counterpart, and lord knows I have played it enough.
I am not against CD's, but you find used LP's for a fraction of the cost of one CD, the sound is equal or superior to CD's (depending on the type of instruments,vocals,etc...)
and the artwork is bigger. :cool:
There is a good reason why artists  like Pink Floyd,Gabriel,Bowie,etc... continue to release new works on vinyl, and it's not to keep just me happy.
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 15 2003, 20:28

Big artists like that aren't as big over here in Canada. It's all Britney Spears and junk. All released on CDs. I doubt a lot of people have ever heard of LPs over here. I certainly haven't until I came to this site. So no, I've never heard an LP. I don't think anyone I know or possibly even anyone in my city owns any.

Perhaps LPs are a eruopean thing? Natively?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 16 2003, 23:15

Yeah, we have the same thing here, commercial crap on CD like you mentioned before.

But dance and trance music is very popular here too, with DJ's mixing with their LP's. So LP's are kinda popular here. You can find a lot of them here... have a lot of them too (much of Mike of course).

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 05:35

RE: Comment above on Beta vs VHS

Beta was higher quality - but don't forget that that's not the only reason people buy things. Beta tapes initially only lasted 1hr - so you couldn't get a whole film onto one tape. People were prepared to accept a slight loss of quality because of the practical benefit of getting a whole film or ballgame onto one unattended tape.

Is that relevant to CD/Vinyl?

Surely the thing to ask is which format is truer to what was played - ie. which media DOESN'T impart it's own characteristics to the music. In which case, I have to stand in the CD camp for the moment - although I still play LP's on occasion.
Profile PM 
Timorage
Unregistered

Posted: May 23 2003, 12:20

Mmmmh, just a question: where is the SACD Mike was talking about some months ago?
Holger Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 15:35

Quote (Fingers @ May 19 2003, 05:35)
Surely the thing to ask is which format is truer to what was played - ie. which media DOESN'T impart it's own characteristics to the music. In which case, I have to stand in the CD camp for the moment - although I still play LP's on occasion.

That is a very interesting point of view; I've never looked at it that way. I'm also one of those who like both formats for different reasons, but I'll give your comment some thought.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 25 2003, 15:28

I've always felt that on some albums, the definition between instruments on LP is not as good as on CD, but this works to its advantage; they blend together better, giving this "warm sound" that people refer to, whereas CDs can sometimes sound clinical.

Anyway, all this talk of LPs made me think...who supposes we'll get Tubular Bells 2003 on vinyl? Wouldn't that be cool!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
75 replies since April 30 2003, 12:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net